Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rant---I'll probably catch Heck from this but it needs to be said

Rant---I'll probably catch Heck from this but it needs to be said

I'll probably catch Heck for this but I am fed up:

Rant #1: with the people who don't have a slot car shop but still have a dealer's license (SOMEHOW) so they can sell to their friends at either same prices or 20% discount, (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), I am a small shop trying to survive here and 1/2 the people don't buy in my shop because they have buddies who (SOMEHOW) have a dealer's licence, but no slot car shop with tracks, so they have no overhead, I am outraged by this, buy a #$%^&**(*&^%$$# shop with at least a commercial track in it and do like the rest of us.

Rant #2: There are at least 4 Race shop that I know of (AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) that are selling brand new stuff on ebay over the summer (probably because they have no summer program going and that is how they survive to pay the bills. I have a summer program going and can't get a lot of DRAG parts because THESE RACE SHOPS have gobbled up a lot of drag race stuff to sell on ebay, so since I can't seem to get it from my distributors because they don't have it because of the greedy asses out there and when my customers ask why I can't get the parts they ask for and I tell them the distributor is all out and stuff is on back order they say it's ok I'll get it on EBAY, THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! So you race shops that are pulling this crap (AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), put the shoe on the other foot, cause I'm tired of it. GREED IS SUCH A TERRIBLE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE SOMETIME SOON YOU SHOPS WILL GROW A CONSCIOUS SO THAT THE REST OF US CAN SURVIVE THE SUMMER. GO SELL OLD STUFF ON EBAY THAT DOESN'T SELL IN YOUR SHOP NOT NEW STUFF THAT THE REST OF US NEED FOR OUR PROGRAMS.

OK I THINK I'M DONE RANTING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That falls directly on the industry. The Distributors sell to the shops and some list on eBay. The issue is there are no concrete rules or business practices in the hobby. The Distributor KNOWS that some of his clients sell on eBay. And that is not the distributors fault if some raceways decide to sell on eBay, make large purchases to stock up and sell items there.

It is not fair but business is NOT fair. A change in the practice of eBay will not happen either. eBay should only allow USED or New OLD STOCK to be sold. But that is not the way eBay is going at this time. With the PUSH by eBay to have major sellers like a raceway to open an eBay store. There is an incentive to list as much NEW items that have a warranty or return policy. So the raceway stocks ups, lists on eBay and the distributor sells the product to the raceway.

Unfortunately, many small shops can not get product due to the practices now in place. Many of the manufacturers are small and produce a limited number of items. The distributor will sell the product first come, first serve with your credit card or check.

So sorry to hear about your issue. I have seen that happen where the local shop does not get the product. But the product is online or on eBay. Do not have a solution for that.....

Until the standards and rules are set, it is the ones with the biggest wallets and deepest pockets that get the product to sell. And if four or five raceways have an eBay store and order large quantities. They get the product from the distributor.
    CK DaBoer

Knocked you out of the slot!

REM has had a bunch of stuff on eBay.

I haven`t seen any race announcements from them lately.

With Brian`s personality, I wonder if they`re even open anymore.
    It`s a nice raceway and Ray always treated me well but I`ll never go back there after the way Brian acted.
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 09-03-2015 at 07:56 AM.

I've known Brian for a few years. I never had any problems with him.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Have you been to his raceway Bill?
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

I tried to post this comment on another forum, but the topic has been locked - and rightfully so.....

Methinks it is time for the OP to get out of the slot car business and go try selling ice creams, pumpkins or something else.

Sadly, the days of "Protectionism" are long gone in most countries

The slot car business models are a joke - period!
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Karl- I guess the thing to do is start selling thru a website and an eBay store yourself.

Good luck and maybe I`ll get over your way sometime.

I have a very similar issue. A local man all but sets up a retail spot at a table in my track/shop. It has an impact on my sales for sure.
    As for Ebay, I don't like that or give a you describe it but I'm such a free market guy and I know it's hard to survive in the summer so I can't condemn any efforts to stay afloat.
    I suppose I can compete on EBay too if I want to. If they can sell their stock so can I.
    But I probably won't. I'm not an eBay seller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael, why would you or any raceway owner allow someone to "set up a retail spot" in their establishment? Sometimes a proprietor has to fire a customer in the name of good business sense.

Things like this have gotten out of hand, so much so that some raceways are refusing to provide a place for it to happen.

I agree. This is a particularly sensitive situation. Lots of difficult networks here

Quote Originally Posted by RomanK View Post
    ....... Sometimes a proprietor has to fire a customer in the name of good business sense.
    or .. charge 50 bucks for the table

Without saying too much....this is a man that helped get me oriented to slot car racing.
    I realize it was partially to develop a place for his retail but nevertheless, he was a help and with his long history and current season of life, I am choosing to respect him rather than stop him.
    I'm disappointed at many levels but I am committed to a "people first" approach to this and while that is almost always a blessing to me, sometimes if I'm consistent I have to pay a small price. This is one of those times.
    I won't allow this except under the conditions that are particular to this man.
    It's just how I'm wired.
    It's a very personal thing to this man. I can't crush it. It's more than the $$ to him.

WTG !

Wired right ... Follow our hearts and be vigilant as evil greed is everywhere.

Having been on all 3 sides of the bidness I have a little experience in this topic. The raceways that sell on EBay are VERY well stocked and have the parts their customers need and want. If a raceway does not stock needed inventory, they will lose sales to Ebay and other tracks that do stock the item. It's not Ebays fault or Raceway X's fault, it's your fault for not stocking the item(s). There was several times when something was hot and selling but not available thru distribution, pick up the phone and call the manufacturer. It may be available at a shorter discount. Remember it's always better to make 20% on an item them 40% on nothing. Not all Distributors stock all parts, you have to have a relationship with them all. You will be the only one that loses profit if you don't stock the tires that are hot in the present and know full well , it's tough to have them all, but try to. This is a very tough business to make a buck, it's your job to be on top of everything that is trending. Offer big ticket items to a racer at a discount, you don't stock it, you order it special for him and he hands you the moohla, easy as pie. There is a Dist, that will give you free shipping if you order via e-mail instead of by phone, use the service since there is no minimum mandated.

There are lots of ways to stay competitive in todays market place and stop losing sales.................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

I'm confused Michael, you list it as an issue in one post then condone and might I say encourage it in the next. All good, it's your place of business to run as you see fit, few other businesses, slot car or otherwise, would allow it.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast