Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Dynamic Challenge Proxy

I saw Candy Clark and Cindy Williams at the Syracuse Nationals, a couple months ago...along with a lotta cool cars too...
    Tom

Ah yes...I'm quite the Graffiti fan. My closet has several boxfuls of Graffiti stuff, cars, dioramas, posters, dvd's, video and laser discs, Mels drive in stuff and more.

My favorite items are the signed (Candy,Cindy, Dryfess, Paul, Bo ) 1/18 cars ('55 Chevy, '51 Merc) along with their pics signing the cars.

I watch the dvd every other month, just last weekend was my latest viewing. I think Candy's quote is my favorite line in the whole movie. The soundtrack is second to none.
    Peel out!

I just love it when guys peel out!

Debbie Dunham, American Graffiti

Paradise Road.
    I was a pretty damn good street racer BiTD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My2E6E7ii5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5GPVh_7wDI

I think our generation (boomers) was the best times ever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SafeSexRF50.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	16054
    Last edited by Professor Fugly; 09-16-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Fugly View Post
    Three would be a good number.
    I don't think a drag car will do well on the oval. LOL
    Considering this is about the cars ('the cars are the stars') I don't see how this ruling changes anything. Only one car will be 'decent or good' on all 3 tracks.
    See what I'm saying?

//No I don't. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

//The way I see it is if builders build more than one entry one of them will, hopefully, be better than the other one or two cars they enter. But that is an unfair advantage to anyone that enters a lesser number of cars than three. If builders build one car then they have to decide what is best and live with it. But if builders construct three cars they can all be different. And that means they have a three times greater chance to hit the best combination.

The challenge is the same only more cars doing it. Only one can win, but ... more can have fun ... and that is what this is All about.

//Yes, I want this to be fun, but fun for me is building a competitive car, and now if I want to be competitive, I have to build three cars. This is a race after all. Hey, if I don't win, no problem--but I do want to do well. I'm guessing others here do, too.

Judging remains the same. If anyone wants to send more than one car, then it passes on-line peer inspection, I will update the entry list to reflect the number of cars entered.

Can't speak if any other than the gentleman who asked - or any others want to build/send more than one but I might consider doing a <- DoubleMint -> livery. I like the greeeen color and Kyle Bush too.

"Double your pleasure - double your FUN"

As Mayor to be ... Goldie Wilson once said "I Like the Sound of that"
    I think it would better if we had an equitable playing field, than means everyone gets the same number of chances to succeed. Not everyone wants or has the time and resources to build three cars or even two. As most know it is hard for some guys to even get one car ready on time. Let's leave the rule at one car.

Phil,

The way I'm seeing it right now and my personal opinion:

First you were saying it doesn't look like we would get enough cars to have a show and you don't want to bring it to your track owner until we do, now you think there might be too many.

I have not seen anyone post a picture of one car yet. ASP gave a nice description of the components of the car he is building. I posted a concept.

Don't know if anyone is entering more than one at this time.

Don't think sending in more than one car ups MY (or your) chances of winning much more than if more guys sign up and send one.

We love slot cars, to build them, to run them, to watch them.

I was swayed by your insistence to allow Sloppy Sams - when my thought was to only allow them if Everyone had access to them because they are such a big advantage.
    From what I'm getting from RickB R-Geo is the repop pans my not happen.
    So Now what?
    BTW: Do you have them ? I do! And I did when I posted the 'everyone has access' rule

Yeah it's racing and there will be a winner but in my experience in running proxies it's about the FUN. I've only seen one sore looser out of over 100 cars entered in proxies that I've run. I have gotten a royal a$s whooping on tracks around the world, I finished running "dead last" in my first proxy and it was the most fun I ever had letting others drive my car.

As I approach other track owners I'm presenting this model to them as is until I think or they prove it's a bad idea. Bill P, 'likes' the three track deal and track owners 'should' make a few bucks for shutting down tracks and find the best drivers to 'service us'

Still thinking the best plan might be to concentrate on one car (and fill it with love) and one car only if getting the win is the only goal. Sending more could be more FUN for Everyone.

Competitive is good, over competitiveness in proxy racing can be 'sour grapes' if the car doesn't win.

I've learned running these (and Jairus has stated) '... can't let the inmates of the proxy make the rules'
    Why? Because there will never be agreement by all the players.
    Guys join proxies if they think it will be fair, I believe mine have been fair and I encourage anyone that thinks differently to share why in detail. Don't cry and say 'that wasn't fair' just because your car didn't fair well.

Closing -
    If Hendrick, Roush or Gibbs only could enter one car there might not even enough cars to call it race.
    Just because X# of guys commit does not mean they all ship cars.
    Guys sent multi cars to "Rods & Rails" events and still didn't win. I believe Everyone had FUN - well ... except one guy thought there were too many "Cheaters".
    If you would like to do it different at ModelVille I'm open to discussing that. Guys could tell me which car they want to come home.

----> From a short oval to a dragstrip to a Purple Mile ... it will all flush out no matter how many cars anyone sends.

** The Cars are the Stars.** Fun comes first - winning it is just icing on the cake.

I can be convinced otherwise with rational disagreement and I'm glad you shared yours. I'm not convinced yet to change to 'limiting' it to One Car Only.

Did I mention I hate typing

"Hit It"
    Last edited by Professor Fugly; 09-16-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: 'Hit It" :)

Bob,
    I tend to agree with eveything you said.
    This will be my first Proxy race and so far I have enjoyed collecting the parts and starting the building. Whatever happens in the race will be ok..I will not blame my driving anyway. I don't know yet whether I'll be building more cars, luckily I have a good selection of parts to draw from. Putting together Dynamic parts is not very difficult and I admit I entered the Proxy when I saw the magic words: no soldering! I never soldered anything in my life and have no intention of starting now. For what is worth, I am against the Sloppy Sams..I think they spoil the purity of the very simple Dynamic design.

Well thanks for that, Luciano! And the courage to say so...

You know ... I guess screw together cars still have a place, as you point out 'I never soldered anything'
    I/we slot racers today take it for granted the we all solder. I'll make sure your lead wires are solder on right no matter how many cars you send.

You just opened my eyes to this even though I was one back in the day.
    For more 'magic words' on this see the 'Team Cresskill' post over on slotblog.

I'll go a slightly OT and expand a little bit..
    Commercial track racing in Italy lasted from 1966 to 1968. Nobody scratch built any cars. The competitive cars were very few;
    Russkit Carrera in the beginning, then La Cucaracha and the German Carrera and the various Italian cars like the Mini A, Mini B and Unicar. All cars were modified and savagely butchered, but there was no need for wielding a soldering iron as the Jail door type chassis was completely unknown..

OT here .. maybe TMI ... LOL

Jail doors were way out of reach for me .. both money and skill wise. RTRs then 'Scratchbuilt' Dynamics. When my uncle bought me a store built-up Champion jail door w/607 power I was in heaven .... that day.

To see what that Champion car was 'made of' check out "I want my Champion 607 car... again" )( on another site ..
    Google can help get you there.

HI Bob:
    Yes, I'm still "in".
    Jay Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Guard View Post
    HI Bob:
    Yes, I'm still "in".
    Hi Jay!!!

Long time no see!

Nice to see you are Proxy racing & great to see you on here again!

Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Guard View Post
    HI Bob:
    Yes, I'm still "in".
    Awesome Jay G. (not Jay Z.) I'll turn you green on the entry list.

I'm still 'in' too ... it's a hard knock life. **

Speaking of "Dr. Evil" we have a new entry.

Now we are getting some serious 'street cred'

** https://youtu.be/OF4dzXYzQPI?t=5s

Race day procedure refresher.

Drivers stay in a lane and the cars go through the rotation so everyone drives every car once.

Best drivers get the gutter lanes ...

I'll be on Orange or Blue

For the Drag track (Jay, it's the only flat one ) A driver will be 'assigned' a car to run based on picking an entry number out of a hat.

OK?

O.k....so...Bob...3 out of 4 on your short list have checked in...
    The only one we haven't heard from is Jaak...
    Tom

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast