Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: A Backmarker's View of the 2015 ISRA World's - Prague

Absolutely TERRIFIC commentary! Many thanks. See you in Chicago later this year!?

Best comment of the day: "First time we've had a haze in here, but it's coming from Paul's arms, not cigarettes."

Greg, enlightening reporting as usual.

Thanks!

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

It's over. I'm at the party. Real nice. Great food as always, enough beer and wine to sink a ship. The award are gorgeous, but they weigh a ton. The biggest ones are a solid 3x2x1" iron car which is gold plated on an 8"x8"x1/4" iron plate with a slot cut into it. Weighs 8 lbs at least.

Last year I wrote at length about why you come here if you're only a backmarker like me. Still all true. I only race in 3, max 4 races a year. Not enough to do anything but the same as last year. But I have so many friends here, and we come together for 2 weeks every year and just have a lovely time together. Not much more to say.

Back briefly to the discussion with Bill Fulmer: I appreciate the offer tremendously. The issue is that the club structure is better for this sort of thing. There is no commercial raceway in the world that can hire 20-30 people for variably 4-14 hours daily for 12-14 days. But that's what they had more or less in both Prague and Latvia. We need to figure out how we're going to support our commercial raceways when we put on something like this. It's viewpoint thing. Americans are very good about volunteering, actually much better than the Europeans, but volunteering at a commercial enterprise is unusual at the very least. We'll need to discuss this further. One thing I can promise is that every slot car racer of any stripe would have loved that 1/24 main today. It was amazing.

See you all next year in Chicago!! Plan to come, if only to race team production and watch the rest. I promise that you won't be disappointed.

Greg

One last post:

Loads of thanks still to be passed out! To Susanne and Jan Zemlicka, Pavel Flaisig, Jaroslaw and Martina Recek, Petr Krcil, Josef Korec, Vladomir Horky, the whole Vojtik family, and the loads of other volunteers whose names I don’t know. Also to my long time friend Gugu for the great 1/24 ES motor, and my great roommates (Chris Bruyninx, Theo Vanderhuysen, Mike Aguerre (who by the way is no longer Mike Who, but rather Gary Smith from Indiana), Roger Schmitt, and Rob Voska).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg N View Post
    One last post:

Loads of thanks still to be passed out! To Susanne and Jan Zemlicka, Pavel Flaisig, Jaroslaw and Martina Recek, Petr Krcil, Josef Korec, Vladomir Horky, the whole Vojtik family, and the loads of other volunteers whose names I don’t know. Also to my long time friend Gugu for the great 1/24 ES motor, and my great roommates (Chris Bruyninx, Theo Vanderhuysen, Mike Aguerre (who by the way is no longer Mike Who, but rather Gary Smith from Indiana), Roger Schmitt, and Rob Voska).
    Sounds more like dormitory mates,how big was the room?
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

Always Mike Who but good to have an alias especially overseas.

You can still call him Gary!

We were living in a house. It was a very nice situation for all of us.

Greg

So are you buying a house in Chicago where we all can stay next year?
    Remember the lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!