Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A Backmarker's View of the 2015 ISRA World's - Prague

The lap times are of interest: They've been going up slowly and steadily. There's a ton of rubber on the track. It's cool and raining lightly outside, but warm and humid trackside due to the perhaps 50 people in the room. The fast guys were lapping in the 4.7s in the quarters, but now a good lap is 5.0.

Mid 7: Recek leads, Horky and Cleve are 5 down, no one else close. 3 move ups from the B is unusual, but here I think quite possible. All three are pushing hard.

Kev Gray is currently race directing. He has a very polite, understated style. Cool quote, but needs his thick British accent: “ The marshals call track, not the audience …Thank you.” All in a quiet monotone.

The B Semi finishes with Jaroslav at 366, Cleve 4 back, Horky 5. Vladomir lost his lead due to a tire change.

Out of order, but nonetheless: Petr Krcil won the C Semi with 360 laps. Alex Leite was lap back, then Jiri Karlik a whole lap back.

I forgot, I made another mistake: it was Eric Signal, not his father, Ken who won the C Quarter. So no victory for the old guy.

And in the A Semi we have Raivis Jansens, Antonin Vojtik, Matti Fyhr, Paolo Trigillio, Peteris Dunis (a very nice Latvian young man), Piero Castricone, Jan Zemlicka, and Eric Signal. I’m happy to see all of the young faces up there.

Greg,
    Thanks for keeping us updated.. I do have a question.. I've been watching the video feed and noticed something. It seems that when there is a track call the time keeps counting down, is that right or just a delay in the video? Or?

Mid 2nd heat: Antonin and Raivis are tied and going fast. Jan is 1 back, Piero and Matti 2. Currently, only the top 3 are on pace to make the main.

Mid 5: We’ve got Antonin in 1st, Raivis and Jan 1 down, Piero 3 back, Matti and Peteris 3-4 back. Top 3 on pace to make the main.

Keep the reports coming Greg. You ARE the only game in town and we look forward to your insight every year!

Raivis had to change controllers and now his motor has slowed, so things have changed. Just now Edy Zaks (working in the pits) sneezed so loud that he got an actual track call.

Mid 6: Antonin leads. Matti is 5 back, Paolo 6, Jan and Peteris 8. Currently only the top 3 will make the main. Lap times in the 5’s with an occasional 4.9 only from Antonin.

I missed this, Antonin’s 4.9s are coming on black. Also, Piero, who’s 10 back, is charging. He’ll have to pick up 3 or 4 laps on the others to make the move-up.

End of 7: Antoni in 1st, but no further 4.9s, Paolo is 1 back, Matti 3, Peteris and Jan 4, Raivis 5, and Piero 7. Only the top 3 are on pace to make the main.

Mid 8: Peteris is out with a tire change, but Jan will make the main if he holds. Piero changed tires, too, but he was already out of it.

In the end, Antonin wins with 365, Paolo is 2nd 2 down, Matti is 4 back, Jan 5. All four made the main.

Ben Taxel asks about the lap timing system. He thinks that it may be counting down during the track calls. I have not been watching for that, but I doubt it. In Kiev we had wild electronic problems, but here there has been not the slightest malfunction. I’ll watch for this during the main. It’s most likely just a video delay, as Ben suggested.

I’ll be back in an hour or so with the main.

Sorry, couldn't get on the internet, but here's my posts, all saved up:

And now it's the 1/32 ES final. We have maybe 120 spectators, 100% humidity, about 80 degrees F, and the beer is flowing.

During the 6th heat. Paolo was leading, but he just changed tires and now he's 4 down. Matti is leading, Antonin is 2 down, Cleve 5 down, Horky 7, Recek 8 and Petr Krcil and Alex Leite are out of it. Lap times in the 5.0s, occasional 4.8s and 4.9s.

In the 7th, It’s Antonin leading, Paolo 2 down, Matti after a tire change 7 down, and Horky and Recek 7-8 back. James Cleave is now 12 back, no podium for him in this class this year, I think.

At the end of 7, nothing much has changed. So, now it depends on how tires hold up.