Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: A Backmarker's View of the 2015 ISRA World's - Prague

Everybody through Paul is ahead of the top C Main drivers. Implies none of the Cs will make it to the main. Jason Hooper comes by to explain the big crash from a couple of minutes ago: Recek and Horky drive identical appearing bodies, and Recek started driving Horky's car by mistake, resulting in a loud crash in the esses. He's now 14 laps down, presumably with a very wounded car.

Mid-8: Horky 4 up on Chris R, Dominyk and Jonathan 9-10 back, Paul and Pavel 11-12.

So that's it for the American Semi: Horky wins with 325, Chris Radisisch is 4 back, Dominyk 10, Jonathan Forsyth 11, Paul Gawronski 12, Pavel Flaisig, most everybody's best friend here, 13, Jaroslaw Recek 18, and Casey Scott 21 back.

We'll need to see how it goes, but Dominyk, Jonathan, and Paul are going to need some luck.

I forgot to write something about the "why" for 1/32 ES main 2 days ago. As far as I could tell, the track was rather amazingly over-rubbered for a baby ES race. No one seemed to have an obviously much better car. Paulo Trigillio (2nd) and Antonin Vojtic, the winner, simply drove both harder and steadier than the others. Both were very impressive. Pretty clearly drivers wins.

A-Semi: Two kids (and very nice ones at that) Peteris Dunis and an old friend to my blog, Olli Kantamaa, and two young guys, Raivis Jansens and Andrey Zhbanov (one of the Kolhoza guys). Actually, Janis Nabotkins is a young guy, too, but he's been one of the usual suspects for so long that I'll leave him that category. He's joined by Jan Zemlicka, Piero Castricone, and Paolo Trigillio (who wish they were still young guys).

No style reports for this Semi: Nabotkins is looking tame gothic in an ISRA shirt and checked back and white jeans and Andrey has a nice Kolhoza apron on, but that's about it.

I keep forgetting to write that Stanislaw Polic, the very popular Czech racer, who suffered a large stroke during last year's race, is still in rehab, still making progress. But he also still has a dense hemiparesis (means that he can't move his arm or leg much) and also, unhappily, still can't speak. Jan Zemlicka is wearing a copy of his racing shirt today. Prayers, if you're into that, are still very much in order. Also, if you knew him, you can donate to his rehab simply by paypaling Pavel and including Stanislaw's name in the comment.

Mid-5 and Paolo and Piero are leading, Jan is 5 back, Raivis 7, Andrey, and Olli and Nabotkins 9. Peteris blew a gear and is 34 back. The top 4 are the only ones on pace to make the main!

Mid-6 it's Paolo 2 up on Piero with Jan 5, Raivis 8 back. They are still on main pace. Andrey, Nabotkins, and Olli are all 10 back and currently well off the pace to make the main. If a kid is going to make the main (which I'd love!), it'll be young Dominyk. So things are looking great for him, also for Jonathan, but Paul G's going to need some luck.

Mid-7: No changes. BTW, no big crashes this heat yet, tho we have three identical appearing Ferraris on the track. :-)

(BTW, I've never understood all of the Ferraris in this class and all of the yellow Czech cars in all of the classes. Just seems like a recipe for trouble, as it was for Jaroslav a few minutes ago. I've got a real nice new color combo, courtesy of Rick Dodge: metallic lavender, much prettier than it sounds, with a hot pink longitudinal stripe and slash on the sides. But no one would mistake my car for their's anyway - mine go so much slower than everyone else's. :-) )

End of 8: Olli worked his way up to 9 back and pushed Jonathan out! Really bad luck for one of my best racing friends!!

Piero and Paolo tied with 322, Jan 2 back, Raivis and Olli both 7, Zhabanov 8, Nabotkins 9, and Peteris 42 back. A great come back for Olli, really bad luck for Jonathan!

So three young guys in the final: Raivis, Dominyk, and Olli.

If you haven't done so already, please take a look at Pat Skene's pictures. Really good work. A better job of telling the story here, than mine. The wide-angles of the track with the stands accurately pick up the weird atmosphere during the finals. All we're missing is a ton of cigarette smoke and we'd be back in the 60's.

1/32 F1 Finals:
    It's noon here, a little early for the all of the beer, but the room is full, the atmosphere a little less weird than the previous two Finals.

In the main, we've got Olli Kantamaa, Chris Radisisch, Piero Castricone, Jan Zemlicka, Vladomir Horky, Dominyk Budrys, Piero Trigillio, and Raivis Jansens. A great mixture of young and old, and four usual suspects against four of the hopefully up and coming.

End of 1: Paolo has been falling off a lot. Not clear why (he's on white), now has a loud gear. He's 6 down, Olli is 5 down, everyone else within a lap! Except for Paolo, no offs to speak of. Officially, Piero, Dominyk, and Jan are in the lead.

End of 2: No big crashes, very few offs. Piero and Dominyk tied for the lead, Raivis 1 back, Horky and Jan 2, Chris 3, Olli and Paolo 6. Paolo is going fine in terms of lap times and heat total currently.

End of 4: As I've written for the past 3 years, the F1 speeds are mind-boggling. They look like 1/32 ESs on the track. Fast laps are in the 5.4s.

More beer is appearing.

Tumby, the race director, warned everyone near him in the stands that they were going to get thrown out if they didn't shut up, so the mood is quieter over there. Quieter in the more distant stands, where I'm sitting, too. I haven't written much about race direction: we've got two directors - Tumby, the boss, from Finland, and Kev Gray, from England. Both are excellent in all respects.

Piero is in the lead, Raivis is 1 down, Horky 2, Chris, Jan, and Paolo 4, Dominyk 7 (he was on black, but the best guys lose only 1-2 laps on red and black, so 5 laps lost is a lot), Olli 13. No big crashes, very few offs.