Thread: IROC Race Series Procedure Questions...

IROC Race Series Procedure Questions...

I primarily race HO scale, but did race 4" Flexi GTP in the '90s, and this(these) questions are really directed at all scales...

I read on here about IROC races that are run where the car stays in each lane & just the racers rotate through the lanes...

How does that work?---Is there a program that keeps track of each racer's totals?...

Do you put the fastest cars in the gutter lanes?---In the middle lanes?---Does it matter where they go?...

Does the track supply the controllers for each driver?...

Basically, I would like to know everything that is involved in running such an event... Or be directed to a source of this information...

Thanks for anything you can tell me---Would like to try some races for my 2016 Christmas HO Slots display---John
    ~ Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer ~

I've seen IROC races use controllers provided by the track and controllers that are moved with the racer. It's a matter of choice.

The timing system has everyone's names entered and tracks the number of laps for you as in any other race.

The complicated part is moving the cars. As you change lanes, you have to move the car in your new lane to the spot where your last heat ended. If you're in red and stop at a certain place in the track, you start the next heat in green at that same spot. That way, you don't lose your position on the track and laps are counted accurately.

IROC races are a lot of fun when run correctly. Enjoy!
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

Thanks for your response, Jim---I think I'm making this harder than it really is---Have a tendency to do that...

I've always run *color-coded* cars at my Christmas displays and thought this could be done with an IROC type event...

Guess we just need to get on with it & figure-out some rules that we can run easily...

Thanks, again---John

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBeas View Post
    The complicated part is moving the cars. As you change lanes, you have to move the car in your new lane to the spot where your last heat ended. If you're in red and stop at a certain place in the track, you start the next heat in green at that same spot. That way, you don't lose your position on the track and laps are counted accurately.
    A friend of mine w/ IROC race experience suggested the use of driver's cards (one assigned to each driver), placed where the car stopped at the end of the heat.
    When all cards are in place, move the cars, then pickup the cards.

A friend of mine w/ IROC race experience suggested the use of driver's cards (one assigned to each driver), placed where the car stopped at the end of the heat.
    When all cards are in place, move the cars, then pickup the cards.
    Thanks for the tip.

I think it is best to run IROC when each driver is assigned a car and IT is rotated along with the driver to a new lane. I have seen way too many IROC races where the cars are much too broken to make it past the fourth heat unless the driver is responsible to safely drive his assigned car rather than wreck it for the next driver.

This is not IROC whisperjets, but regular RTR flexis - as manufactured. No bracing or extra solder joints or body armour.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 11-02-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Thanks for the valuable insight---That's how we have always done it on the past (car AND driver rotate lanes---They were house-prepped cars, though)---I've read on here that some races are run by just the driver switching lanes, racing a *new* car on each lane and was very curious how that worked...

I have a bunch of lane color-coded bodies and was wanting to maybe try that style of racing...

I can definitely see your point about the carnage that might be inflicted by using lane-specific cars---Most appreciative for bringing that up---John

Larry,

I can certainly see your point regarding potential carnage left by a lousy driver. I think the cars must be as bullet-proof as possible. But I believe moving the car to the next lane along with the driver defeats the purpose of the IROC principle.

In IROC, all efforts are made to make the cars adhere to identical standards. And frankly, I've never seen two slot cars assembled to the same standards and subsequently behave exactly the same. Typically, the difference in motors alone can account for several laps over the course of an entire race.

By moving ONLY the drivers to the next lane, not the cars, I believe you're trying to make the field as level for all drivers as possible.
    Jim Beasley

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."
    Pat Paulson, ca. 1968

I've run a ton of IROC races and have never had the cars get wrecked, accidentally, or on purpose., slow down, or anything else that prevents it from being an 100% fair race.

The main thing in an IROC race is have only one official move the cars, and you need a marker.

Mine is one that says "Red Car Finish".

I put it on Green and proceed to move the red car to white, white car to orange, orange car to yellow, etc.

At the end , you move the blue car to green, and then you put the green car where you left the Red Car Finish marker.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

At the Track Owners Conventions another generation ago, we had VERY successful IROC races. Parma had several sets of cars to work with and EACH heat had a full functioning car. The last used ones got a thorough tune-up before it was used again. No one had to try to drive a car with bent axles or shredded gears unless they inflicted it upon themselves - as it should be.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Larry,
    That's not an IROC race.

That's a handout car race and some cars will always be superior to others.

Everyone running the same set of 8 different cars, that stay on the lanes, transcends that.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.