Thread: Question for Mike Swiss - "saw cut" open arms

Question Question for Mike Swiss - "saw cut" open arms

Mike,

In a nutshell, can you tell me a bit about "saw cut" open arms?

Mainly the visual differences between them and the standard comms and performance advantages etc.

Thanks.

Sawcuts have thinner slots than older standard "S" comms. We have changed the process on how we make the standard "S" comm and if you get a newer one, you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a sawcut
    unless you "face" the end of the comm to expose the fluting. A sawcut has more, albeit smaller, flutes.
    For what it's worth, my ex-Port Jeff/World Record arm was an old style
    "S" comm with the slightly wider slots and less(but larger) flutes.

Exclamation Thanks

I'll have to look at what I have and.....see what I have (I got ALL of my Koford Open arms used).

As an aside, recently while at the raceway, I noticed that the standard comm Koford Open arms were very inexpensive...less expensive than the Tri-Star GP27 arms. I was shocked (and pleased).

Well, inexpensive if you can call upwards of 50 bucks inexpensive for an armature.

I've heard that the "saw cut" arms are more expensive and I'm guessing it's due to the different comms. What is the difference in retail price?

Thanks again.

Sawcuts retail for $64.27.
    At the moment reg "S" comm opens retail for $49.59( A super value)
    27's cost more partly because they have more lams but mostly because they cost more to wind(Stacking 38 thin logs vs 15-19 thick ones)

Weed was surprised to see a standard "S" comm open was cheaper than
    a standard "S" comm G27.
    The advantage to running G7's is you're less apt to buy more arms to find one that meters a tad lower assuming it will have to be faster. A G7 that meters a tad higher will run cooler so it can be made to go faster by running less choke.

Your question is way too broad. If you are super serious about racing,
    you'll have at least the comm cut after each race & change brushes regardless of what class of motor.
    (especially if you are 1 motor racing and can not change during the race)

If you want to run the motor until it slows, and then change it, the C12 in most cases will run longer assuming you're gearing each car with the same amount of aggressiveness.