Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To Airbrush, What am I doing wrong?

New To Airbrush, What am I doing wrong?

Hey all,

I recently decided to learn to Airbrush, really not to do fantastic paint jobs, but to paint lighter bodies...

Anyway, I bought a Iwata NEO Graviety Fed Airbrush..

I am using SpazStix Airbrush ready paint..

My paint comes out blochy..

If you hold it up to light, it looks relatively even painted, but when you look at it from the top, it's blochy...

Any tips/help to do this right? How do I get more even sprays?

Thanks!

-TheChad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	16267  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	176 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	16268  

Views:	165 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	16269  

Views:	166 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	16270  

When you hold the body up to the light source, are you holding it up to direct light or reflected light?
    Bill Taylor
    HiSpeed Products
    www.hispeedproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by wjtaylor View Post
    When you hold the body up to the light source, are you holding it up to direct light or reflected light?
    Direct light, well I guess both... It's a flourcent shop light above my work bench..

In the 3rd photo, it looks to me like you might be spraying too tight a pattern, possibly with too small a tip and needle.

I'm sure your brush came with an assortment of tips. Try the largest one first and by adjusting it, along with paint viscosity and even air pressure, try for a wider pattern that will give more even coverage. The paint shouldn't hit the body dry like dust, but shouldn't be soaking wet either.

For the type of paint job you show here, the pattern as it hits the surface should be about 1/2" - 3/4" wide or so, not a pin point or dot. For detail work, smaller tips will give you more control.

Experiment on clear plastic cups or plates to get the right combination.
    "Bring your ballistic $hit and your asbestos shorts, nobody gets out alive." Paul Kovich

Using reflected light will help you see any thin spots in your pattern. I also have a flourescent light above the bench but I don't look thru the body into the light. I have a large piece of white plastic about 1/4 inch thick I got from a plastic store. The flourscent light washes across this and give an even light to create a "backlight" to view the pattern you have thrown. Then you can fill in any unevenness.

To small a nozzle will make it harder to get even coverage as will flourescent and non pearl paints.

I just put this on hold and looked at the Iwata you are using and yes, that is to small for doing the field as you have shown. It is a dual action airbrush and thats important and it will serve you well for doing edging and trim work, numbers and such detail work. If you can afford to buy a larger airbrush like mine, you should do so. It is possible to get even coverage with what you have, but it take time and practice to get it. The reflected light will help you to see the thin spots. Even with the larger airbrush you will need to back and pick up any thin spots, there are just fewer of them.

I don't have any experience with SpazStix paints, but PA seems to like them. If you can find House of Kolor where you are you might give them a try. I can give you my guy here in SoCal if you want

I am using an Iwata HP-BE2 for the painting the field. Actually I have 2 of these, one is permanantly affixed to the bottle of white.
    Bill Taylor
    HiSpeed Products
    www.hispeedproducts.com

It came with a .35 needle. I know there is a .50 available. But I don't know if that will help?

I look into the air brush you suggested, it's a siphon feed? I had a siphon feed before I bought this one and I will never go back to a siphon feed! The Graviety feed sprays leaps and bounds better than the siphon feed! But in sure they make a similar size Graviety feed!?

But at $300+ that's quite a bit more than in wanting to get into this..

Thanks!

-Chad
    Last edited by TheChad; 11-07-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjtaylor View Post
    I am using an Iwata HP-BE2 for the painting the field. Actually I have 2 of these, one is permanently affixed to the bottle of white.
    I went looking for an Iwata HP-B2 for myself, to replace a bottom-feed Paasche. The most knowledgeable sources indicated the HP-B2 has been discontinued. Do you have any recommendations for a current Iwata model that comes close to duplicating the HP-B2?

Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Chad---I'm not an airbrush master... Only shot some bodies/models a few times using a friend's old Paasche...

I want to get one of my own and have been looking at the Iwata HP-BR and CR 'brushes (both gravity feed), on the recommendation of a local model builder...

Approx. $100 each, bare... The BR has a 1/16 oz cup, .3 mm & the CR, a 1/3 oz with .5 mm...

I do mostly HO scale, but if I can find the clear bodies, have 5 or more 1/24 to paint...

I hope this doesn't muddy-up the water too much here---I think we're basically looking for the same 'brush---If someone who knows 'brushes could look at these 2 and give a *yea or a nay*, I would be greatly appreciative---John
    ~ Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer ~

Thanks, Zippity
    ~ Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer ~

Hermit #1

Sorry, but I have no indication of whats current in Iwata's line. Mine are probably close to 15 years old and still working well. Check with your local Iwata retailer. If you have trouble finding one I will get you the name and number of mine here in SoCal
    Bill Taylor
    HiSpeed Products
    www.hispeedproducts.com

Thanks for the link - that model looks very interesting. Now I get to shop around for the best price...

Hi, don't know if this will help but using the .35 tip is great for fine lines and such, .50 would give you a broader stroke. I too have purchased a Neo brush as well to use with Spaz stik lacquer paints that I have to do some shading, but haven't had the urge or desire to spray some bodies. Recommend that you use 10-12 psi with the Spazstik paint as it is fluid enough and does not need higher pressure(40-50psi) as you do with Faskolor. Other wise your paint dries before it hits the body.Overlap your strokes by at least a third of its width may give you a better or consistent coverage. Good luck and experiment so you get a feel for what you need to do to accomplish your desired result.
    Ed Dziewior

"If it ain't broke, keep trying till you succeed"

That brush says it has .35mm needle, same as my NEO?

You shouldn't really have to buy a new airbrush... the one you have may be fine just by practicing & following some of the tips posted above.
    The larger tip may help, but the best bet is to just play around with it and try some different techniques.

But if you are considering getting another airbrush, or for others who might be...

Always check with your local raceway - to see what they have or recommend. If they don't stock the airbrushes you are looking for...

There are plenty of airbrushes and accessories available in OWH's Slot Car Shop, (shameless plug... )
    including the Iwata HP-CS and other models...

and... purchases from OWH's Slot Car Shop (an Amazon.com affiliate) help to support the OWH & Slot Car Talk forums & web site.

Iwata-Medea Eclipse HP CS Dual Action Airbrush Gun / Gravity Feed

PK @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast