Thread: Advice

Advice

Looking for a controller to use on ovals and tri ovals. I have a Parma turbo controller and want to upgrade with something with a brake adjustment. We run the sealed Hawk 7 motors and want something that will work well with that motor. Not sure what OHM works best

We race the same motors in our club. www.gatewayslotracing.com Only two guys are still using the Turbo controller while everyone else is using the 3rd Eye Hit-Man. All who have moved to the Hit-Man have improved their racing and lap times. The fastest motor we race is a Mini-Can G12 and the controller works great with those as well.
    I am not saying this is the only option, it is just what we have experience with. Many of the members have tried other controllers but have gone to the Hit-Man now.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Cheapest long term is a Parma 4 ohm wet wound resistor and a Difalco brake kit DD-717. Easy to assemble for about $50. Anything lower than a 3 ohm is too touchy for the H-7 group of motors. Anything 10 - 60 ohm is for homeset, HO and some antiques.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

find a used Ruddock, or new, but it works the best for anything, period, imo.

I'll bore long-time readers with this:

Third Eye, Ruddock, DiFalco, and Carsteen all make fabulous controllers, all deliver great service. There are a variety of different models for all four companies. For your motor choices you do not require one of the high end models. All are easily available new and used. All have different feels. I suggest you try out a few at your track and pick out the one that you like best. As always, strongly consider buying through your track.

Lastly, Larry is correct that a Parma Turbo with a wet wound resistor and a DiFalco brake pot will also work very well and be cheaper.

Greg

Just as a point of interest, any old Ruddock except the ones with the brick heat sink, can be repaired or updated. The brick heat sink controller has two silver transistors the cannot be replaced with out cutting the controller apart.
    If you find a DR controller that needs repairing at a good price, it can be a good buy.

John Andersen

I also keep my good old Omni in the box for ovals and to backup my DiFalco 30 band that I use on the flat tracks.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Koford M562-4

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    We race the same motors in our club. www.gatewayslotracing.com Only two guys are still using the Turbo controller while everyone else is using the 3rd Eye Hit-Man. All who have moved to the Hit-Man have improved their racing and lap times. The fastest motor we race is a Mini-Can G12 and the controller works great with those as well.
    I am not saying this is the only option, it is just what we have experience with. Many of the members have tried other controllers but have gone to the Hit-Man now.
    A less expensive and more trouble free option would be the Koford M562-4 switch block-resistor wire controller with variabrake. About half the price. If you want to go electronic a cost effective option is the Koford M641 controller.