Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Mossetti Patriot Striker Chassis

I am on board with Swodem using modern technology. Per your argument, Steve37, this hobby is falling short in generating new people to come out and play. So to pay the additional tooling cost for a "Fully Stamped" chassis that could have the potential to be competitive or change the course into a new design era when marketing to a smaller customer base does not add up. Might as well change the rule to read "… no more new designs. These are good enough because we don't care if you can make a profit."

I bet when the stamped steel chassis came out originally there were many who bemoaned changing from the scratch built chassis. Most likely this is when the rules of "Stamped Steel" were written to define the new technology. Before long, 3D printing will yield real steel products that could be a cost effective method of generating chassis. Currently the 3D plastic stuff is becoming pretty cheap and can form any design one wishes. Someone is selling a chassis that is 3D printed. It is here and will only improve.

The X25 is a great chassis and has been the bench mark for a while. No different than the Turbo Flex was before it. If using new technology to keep cost down and deliver new designs is the way of the future, I say so be it. Sure, this new Mossetti is a bit more expensive than a X25, but I wonder how much more expensive it would have to be if it were fully stamped and formed from a punch press die process. If it had to be sold at $35 a copy for the investor to break even in 2-3 years most would be complaining about how much it cost. It would die because the majority of people are bottom line shoppers. With racers there would have to be an unfair advantage with the new chassis for the extra cost to be justified. Only then would the guard change and the complaints would be the cost went up again.

At some point, perhaps even now, a new chassis will eclipse the X25. It will become the standard by which all others are judged. If the rules are so inflexible, (pun intended), stipulating only one definition of a process of manufacture be followed to present a new product, both the rule and their believers will be replaced by another set eventually.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Before long, 3D printing will yield real steel products that could be a cost effective method of generating chassis. Currently the 3D plastic stuff is becoming pretty cheap and can form any design one wishes. Someone is selling a chassis that is 3D printed. It is here and will only improve.
    Went to the PRI Show (Performance Racing Industry) already being done with a range of metals.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    Went to the PRI Show (Performance Racing Industry) already being done with a range of metals.
    Yes sir they are doing some metal 3D printing now but it is relatively expensive and can be fragile when stress is applied at the wrong angles. At least based on the samples I have handled. It will get better and cheaper. It is just Moore's Law being applied here. About every two years the technology makes a big improvement.
    We could print chassis with fully interlocking pans or any other idea one has.
    Have a Great Day
    Mark

"Racing is life........Everything else,,,,,,,,,, is just waiting" Steve McQueen in Le Mans

"There are only two things in this world that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them." Mark H

Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    I am on board with Swodem using modern technology. Per your argument, Steve37, this hobby is falling short in generating new people to come out and play. So to pay the additional tooling cost for a "Fully Stamped" chassis that could have the potential to be competitive or change the course into a new design era when marketing to a smaller customer base does not add up. Might as well change the rule to read "… no more new designs. These are good enough because we don't care if you can make a profit."

I bet when the stamped steel chassis came out originally there were many who bemoaned changing from the scratch built chassis. Most likely this is when the rules of "Stamped Steel" were written to define the new technology. Before long, 3D printing will yield real steel products that could be a cost effective method of generating chassis. Currently the 3D plastic stuff is becoming pretty cheap and can form any design one wishes. Someone is selling a chassis that is 3D printed. It is here and will only improve.

The X25 is a great chassis and has been the bench mark for a while. No different than the Turbo Flex was before it. If using new technology to keep cost down and deliver new designs is the way of the future, I say so be it. Sure, this new Mossetti is a bit more expensive than a X25, but I wonder how much more expensive it would have to be if it were fully stamped and formed from a punch press die process. If it had to be sold at $35 a copy for the investor to break even in 2-3 years most would be complaining about how much it cost. It would die because the majority of people are bottom line shoppers. With racers there would have to be an unfair advantage with the new chassis for the extra cost to be justified. Only then would the guard change and the complaints would be the cost went up again.

At some point, perhaps even now, a new chassis will eclipse the X25. It will become the standard by which all others are judged. If the rules are so inflexible, (pun intended), stipulating only one definition of a process of manufacture be followed to present a new product, both the rule and their believers will be replaced by another set eventually.

Sir of you had read my previous posts i said laser cutting is by far a more economical way to produce a chassis.

Secondly, i really don't think you are going to get a mass influx based on a new chassis, at least we wont down here.

Look closer my friend none of us are getting any younger and time is taking its toll, how ever if i was to do a class to push the limits of the FK just use a old GT12 or Open 12 chassis there's enough of them around and most have them laying around somewhere we do this for our class 2 in 32nd racing.

Most of our racing is true flat track with little to no banking majority of the clubs in our country run the Turbo Flex as to when that changes?

I doubt ill be around to see that change nor will many others down here even a simple body change is a major for some, however our club allows for any production stamped steel chassis so the Massetti will be run by some, again it wont be the night in shining Armour for the sport.

PS: if you say this new Massetti will be the standard to where all others are judged ? I would be doin a new design no offence to Ernie and ill say it again i grant you its stronger i don't think its a better chassis performance wise over the X25.
    Last edited by steve37; 01-11-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Easy people, this is MY thread on the Mossetti chassis, only I can be obnoxious in it!!!
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123