Thread: Question for Track Owners

Question for Track Owners

I've had an off and on interest in opening a slot car track for a long time. I'm in Northern California and as far as I know there are only two tracks within a 100 mile radius from here.

My question is about buying tracks. It seems like the only option would be for me to have tracks built at the location of my shop. Buying used tracks seems impossible unless it's within driving distance. What has been your experience? How much of an investment is having a track built? I don't know how serious I would be until I understood what my initial investment would be. All feedback is welcome. Thanks

There are several tracks in Northern California. Not sure about within 100 miles, that would depend on where you are.

There is a track in Rohnert Park, one in Vallejo (Bay area), one in Modesto (Central Valley), and one in Rocklin (Just outside of Sacramento).

As for tracks, usually you can find tracks within driving distance. You can also have them shipped. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and whether you have more time (Driving) or money (Shipping). I'm aware of at least one flat track in the Sacramento area that is available, and probably at an affordable price...
    Michael Colvin

A new track, built on-site, is going to be much more expensive than a used one. But, with the used track option, you must factor in transportation costs and track refurbishing.

Used is still lots cheaper than new, and if you select one in good condition, less labor is usually involved - unless you want to pay extra for a track that doesn't involve any of your labor.

So all depends on how much you want to spend and how much sweat equity you're willing to invest.

Ryan, you need to determine your available floorspace too. Big tracks tend to cost more than small ones whether they are new or used.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    There are several tracks in Northern California. Not sure about within 100 miles, that would depend on where you are.

There is a track in Rohnert Park, one in Vallejo (Bay area), one in Modesto (Central Valley), and one in Rocklin (Just outside of Sacramento).

As for tracks, usually you can find tracks within driving distance. You can also have them shipped. It all depends on how much you want to spend, and whether you have more time (Driving) or money (Shipping). I'm aware of at least one flat track in the Sacramento area that is available, and probably at an affordable price...
    Ok, thanks for the feedback. I thought that I had heard that Eddie's was closed, and I didn't know about the track in Rocklin. I did some searching and didn't see much, but I'm sure my googling skills could use some polishing. Do you know how to get in touch with the person that has the track for sale? I'm in Vacaville.

Quote Originally Posted by HERMIT_#1 View Post
    A new track, built on-site, is going to be much more expensive than a used one. But, with the used track option, you must factor in transportation costs and track refurbishing.

Used is still lots cheaper than new, and if you select one in good condition, less labor is usually involved - unless you want to pay extra for a track that doesn't involve any of your labor.

So all depends on how much you want to spend and how much sweat equity you're willing to invest.
    I would rather spend effort than money, so I think a used track would be the way to go. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill from NH View Post
    Ryan, you need to determine your available floorspace too. Big tracks tend to cost more than small ones whether they are new or used.
    I plan on doing some shopping for lots. I know of a few available, but I have no idea what commercial leases go for. I wouldn't want to open something that wasn't sustainable due to high rent. This would be a part time thing for me....open on weekends and a couple of weeknights, possibly.

Sure. His name is Dwight. 530-870-1691. He owns the facility in Rocklin, Fast Track Hobbies. WWW.fthobbies.com or https://m.facebook.com/Slot-Car-Raci...4901735571200/.

Eddie's is still open, although I'm not sure what his hours are.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Michael Colvin

The track(I'm assuming the MTT from Chico) Mike C is talking about is a good little flat track. Dwight typically takes good care fo his tracks. If it will fit your space it would be a good option. Buying used could easily save you $10k right out of the gate. That being said, if you want new, Bob Scott is on that side of the country and has built some nice customs.
    Alan Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
    The track(I'm assuming the MTT from Chico) Mike C is talking about is a good little flat track. Dwight typically takes good care fo his tracks. If it will fit your space it would be a good option. Buying used could easily save you $10k right out of the gate. That being said, if you want new, Bob Scott is on that side of the country and has built some nice customs.
    Thanks Alan. I think I'll give him a call tomorrow. Do you know how big the track is?