Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 USRA Rulebook

All Competition Kinetics Chassis are in stock @ PCH hobbies, Skidmarks Raceway and Slot cars R Us the track. The Distributors are sold out.
    Current Pro Box Stock, I-15 and 27L World Record Holder!

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Quote Originally Posted by DasShanker View Post
    curious about the approved B-12 chassis list, concerning true availability and legality?

- Kamen 750 i presume this is not from Camen, since that site doesn't show it, also unable to find on the internet
    - Competition Kinetics CK12L (4.55) i found only short version from two internet sites
    the Kamen 750 is available thru Camen Racing Products. If you are interested in purchasing one, please have your raceway place an order to Eagle Distributing.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam pan View Post
    Tap.... tap .....tap..... Hello...

Is this thing on ?
    It's always on. The more appropriate question would be "Is anyone listening?"
    Tachyon - A gluon that isn't quite dry.

Hi there, new on the board. Been racing about 20 years, first in Texas and now in NC. Planning on running OM box 12 Friday and amature box 12 Saturday at the nats this year. Peach Tree city is only about a 3 hour drive from where I live. Reading this thread I am confused on something. is the OM box 12 car still 72g? sounds like it has no
    weight restriction now. I was planning on running the same car in both but that would be difficult now as I would likely want to cut off the weight pans for OM boxstock. Please clarify! Thanks, Russell Martin

Unfortunately, you are correct. OMG12 was passed using Texas rules which allow the pans to be removed and therefore has no weight limit. Amateur and Expert G12 have a 72 gram weight minimum, pans may not be removed and weight must be added. It would be difficult to run the same car but not impossible. Some of the Koford chassis have very narrow front pants, such as the 500, 511, 512 and 513 series. You can see the specs on the different chassis at http://koford.com/slot/2016.pdf. Those chassis are longer but that should actually be an advantage at Speedzone since it is supposedly more of a driver track. The small pans should not be much of a disadvantage against no pan chassis, and after OMG12 you could solder on Koford brass pans, a fairly easy process and be ready to run Amateur G12 the next day. In fact you might want to consider running the OMG12 car in Group F also which comes before OMG12 on Friday. Its likely that going forward a rule change will pass aligning OMG12 and G12 as no weight classes but for 2016 it will require the work around.
    Last edited by hesketh; 04-07-2016 at 06:15 AM.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Russ keep in mind that if you run weights on the bottom of the chassis the rule book states that the weights have to clear the track, I'm sure they meant tech block, by the same .062 as the rear of the chassis. This is sometimes over looked by those who neglect to read the rule book.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Russ keep in mind that if you run weights on the bottom of the chassis the rule book states that the weights have to clear the track, I'm sure they meant tech block, by the same .062 as the rear of the chassis. This is sometimes over looked by those who neglect to read the rule book.
    I have never liked the look of those brass weights under the car. I add a very small amount of lead and I'm good. Gonna be fun!

You will need to add more then a small amount. The more you glue on the greater the chance that it comes off in the race. The brass pans are used because they can be soldered on, put the weight as low as possible to improve handling, and their larger flat surface allows for better adhesion of any incremental lead needed to make weight. There is a reason everyone uses them, they work better then any alternative. But hey, to each his own.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

A good approach for adding weight to the top side of Box chassis is to solder sheet lead to the top of the pans. The advantage of soldering is that it doesn't come off in a crash. You can also solder brass rod or strip to the back edge of the pan. Also you can add solder to the area in front of the pin tubes.

The braid recess varies on tracks, not only from track to track but in different places on the same track. On many tracks there are places where the braid is flush. Although most tracks these days are made with the objective that the braid be very slightly below flush I am sure that the rules mean for the clearance to be checked on a block with .062 clearance everywhere including the weights (pans).

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Koford View Post
    The braid recess varies on tracks, not only from track to track but in different places on the same track. On many tracks there are places where the braid is flush. Although most tracks these days are made with the objective that the braid be very slightly below flush I am sure that the rules mean for the clearance to be checked on a block with .062 clearance everywhere including the weights (pans).
    A bit off topic:

Consistent braid recess along the lane course and across all lanes would be an asset but in practice not easily obtainable with the materials used.

Ever hear someone say "OMG that track has an .040 braid depth, that's bad....right?

IMO:
    - I think the deeper the recess the better the car 'stays on'.
    - A (the) tech block should be routed to a depth that mimics the nominal recess of the track to be run on. The ride height (clearance) first goal is to protect the track surface

Simple stuff ?

Clarification for Hesketh, the OMG12 rules are not the TSRA rules, just like the Grp F rules are not the TSRA rules.. You can check the TSRA rules under the rules section of this forum. The TSRA rules do not allow the removal of the pans, the TSRA rules were written for the existing boxstock chassis to be used without adding weight. Similar to the rule passed for boxstock a couple of years ago to run the existing chassis with a lower weight, so that they could do away with the added pans under the chassis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123