Thread: USRA Umbrella

USRA Umbrella

I'm a slot car raceway owner/operator and continue to find myself in conversations where most slot car owners and racers long for more national organization and rule enforcement. USRA is the most natural and accepted authority in Slot Cars. Since I'm late arriving this must have been discussed in the past and I just need an exsum to shut me up. But I would love to see USRA set standards that tracks co u of adhere to in order to be "official" tracks in the USRA program. Perhaps points races required to qualify for the nats would add incentive. Basically USRA needs to be our NASCAR.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Michael.cannonj; 01-22-2016 at 11:11 AM.

MAYBE. Most raceway owners are too independent and outlaw to apply 'big brother' rules to what they do. ISRA has track standards for voltage and banking for "flat tracks", and ignore banked tracks. Even the 'standard' slot dimensions are not agreed to across the hobby, let alone race voltages and wiring standards. Most car rules are based on 'what can I sell today' rather than who has what to race today including what was sold last year.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

I'm sure a lot of tracks would remain "independent" at first, until they feel left out.
    Just need a plan that they want or even better, NEED to be a part of. Can't over regulate so much as organize within the existing hobby. Have to recognize many are already racing. We aren't inventing a lot cars. We are creating an organization in a field of folks already racing. The racers will always own the hobby. So what would make them want to be a part of an organization?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what would make them want to be a part of an organization?
    Simplicity.
    "I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

As I keep thinking on this.....track owners actually follow the racers. After all there is no track without racers. So any parent organization has to incentivize racers compliance. If racers comply to USRA or whatever rule standard then tracks will run those rules and classes. Tracks can't require a high standard of a racer can drive a county over and have a Wild West of racing rules.

Michael,

This issue has been rampant for decades. The USRA was established to be governed by racers. Over the years it's been hijacked by various groups who thought they had "the answer" to a question no one else was asking.

If you want to know what happens when the hens run the henhouse, do a little research into USRA history. It's paved with good intentions and blighted by unintended consequences.
    Tachyon - A gluon that isn't quite dry.

I've opted for the Outlaw series rules because they are simple enough for me to actually tech. And they seem to be popular.

Blog discussions do NOT constitute a plan at the track. The Blogs are a place for me to learn, dream, imagine, network, and sometimes goof off. Plans at my track are discussed and announced in official track pages or the web site.

If you want simple you have ISRA or the Outlaw series.
    If you want other then simple you have USRA.