Thread: Hot Super 16c

Hot Super 16c

Hi Guys,we run 1/24 scale slot cars and recentley I bought a complete S16c motor with a 38 degree armature in a Proslot VIP setup.I find it's only good for about a halve dozen laps and then it gets very hot and the lap times drop by a fair margin, any suggestions would be appreciated.I've been told to install the armature into a Proslot S16d setup,but wouldn't you need quite a few spaces in order to take out some of the play.

Sure, but first a few questions. What track are you running on,what is the car geared and what kind of tire and size?
    Ricky D
    Ruzam Racing
    Team ProSlot

S16C is for 'C' cans. The S16D magnet bore is too big to run well.

Gear it to scream, not to lug.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Hot S16c

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Sure, but first a few questions. What track are you running on,what is the car geared and what kind of tire and size?
    140 feet wooden 4 lane track,9 tooth pinion,38 tooth gear.Tyres we normally use are Jk 1/8 x .790 plastic rim .525 diameter natural rubber tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramcatlarry View Post
    S16C is for 'C' cans. The S16D magnet bore is too big to run well.

Gear it to scream, not to lug.
    Yes I know S16c normally go into a C can setup,but have heard that they seem to run cooler in a S16D setup.

Did you buy this motor from another racer or is it new from the manufacture? Most new motors require some attention to detail before they can be considered reliable enough to race. Common c-can problems that could cause overheating after a few minutes; loose end bell bushing, arm not centered, misaligned bushings, misaligned magnets, air gap too small, bad brushes, and too much spring pressure. That's just a few, I'm sure other racers could come up with more. The S16C is meant to be used in c-cans and can be made to run very, good if you just pay attention to detail. This must be a flat track, correct? If that's so are you running one of the modern electronic controllers? If not that could also be a contributing factor. One more thing try an 8 tooth pinion just to see if it reduces the heat in the motor. The 8 tooth pinion will allow more air to move through the motor and the gyroscopic effect of the extra rpms will aide in the cars handling.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Hot S16C

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Did you buy this motor from another racer or is it new from the manufacture? Most new motors require some attention to detail before they can be considered reliable enough to race. Common c-can problems that could cause overheating after a few minutes; loose end bell bushing, arm not centered, misaligned bushings, misaligned magnets, air gap too small, bad brushes, and too much spring pressure. That's just a few, I'm sure other racers could come up with more. The S16C is meant to be used in c-cans and can be made to run very, good if you just pay attention to detail. This must be a flat track, correct? If that's so are you running one of the modern electronic controllers? If not that could also be a contributing factor. One more thing try an 8 tooth pinion just to see if it reduces the heat in the motor. The 8 tooth pinion will allow more air to move through the motor and the gyroscopic effect of the extra rpms will aide in the cars handling.
    No track isn't flat,does have a bank,a fairly long straight and some curves and I use one of the latest 3rd Eye controllers.Concerning the 8 tooth pinion,we have found on our track that they seem to rev out before reaching the beginning of the bank which is at the end of the straight,which is not want you want.I will check out some of what you have mentioned above.

I mentioned the 8T pinion thinking it was a flat track. Try the 8T with a 36T spur. It's just a slightly lower ratio and will stress the motor less. Does everyone use natural rubber tires? Have you tried treated natural rubber tires or soft Wonder rubber? The rule of thumb is to run the hardest tire you can that improves lap times and doesn't impair handling. This can change with track conditions, air temp, humidity and the body you use. Tires warm up and soften after a few laps and as they do traction as well as friction increases. Tires also tend to pick up dirt and glue that can increase adhesion which causes more friction. The "Friction Monster" has ruined a lot of races for some good racers. Just a few other things to stack on your plate.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chris35c View Post
    but have heard that they seem to run cooler in a S16D setup.
    "heard" and "seem" are extremely weak evidence to go on. Unless you know the air gap and arm diameter you're trying to hit a target in the dark.
    Tachyon - A gluon that isn't quite dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    I mentioned the 8T pinion thinking it was a flat track. Try the 8T with a 36T spur. It's just a slightly lower ratio and will stress the motor less. Does everyone use natural rubber tires? Have you tried treated natural rubber tires or soft Wonder rubber? The rule of thumb is to run the hardest tire you can that improves lap times and doesn't impair handling. This can change with track conditions, air temp, humidity and the body you use. Tires warm up and soften after a few laps and as they do traction as well as friction increases. Tires also tend to pick up dirt and glue that can increase adhesion which causes more friction. The "Friction Monster" has ruined a lot of races for some good racers. Just a few other things to stack on your plate.
    Yes,have tried 8T pinion with a 38T gear and just don't get the same top end speed.We all use the natural rubber tyres as we have found they handle better sooner compared to some others,and we did give treated natural rubber tyres a go but found you were paying more and seeing very little difference in performance.Use to run Koford tyres but there quality had dropped and they would take at least a couple of races before they started handling well,also they seem to have a shorter life span than the JK.

Hot S16C

Quote Originally Posted by MacMoose View Post
    "heard" and "seem" are extremely weak evidence to go on. Unless you know the air gap and arm diameter you're trying to hit a target in the dark.
    Yes true but doesn't hurt to give something a go,more to gain than there is to loose.

Sometimes an armature just runs hot and falls off.
    KellyRacing

Do you surface cut your tires right before you use them? I have found that if you take a minimal surface cut on just about any tire it increases the grip of the tire. I never run tires straight out of the tube you don't know how long they have been sitting and there is always better rubber just a scant .002. away. If you don't take a surface try it on those treated tires and see if it helps.