Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: returning racer.....what happened to Int 15?

returning racer.....what happened to Int 15?

Hi,I'm just getting back into things as I haven't raced since the late 90's or so and I was wondering what happened to International 15's?It seems to be few and far between if any at all racers running them these days. I guess the same could be said for a lot of the wing cars,or am I just missing it?

It's hard to believe but a lot has changed since then.My old local raceway was Rio Raceway in Rio Grande NJ just outside of Cape May and Wildwood down the shore.Anybody remember it?It used to have a nice hillclimb and oval with a popular 4.5 Nascar flexi series and some wing races here and there thrown in up to Int 15's.We never really got into the opens and 27's to keep costs down.

While I am here there used to be a guy named Ted (I think) who used to manufacture his own Int 15's under the Ultralight name.Has anyone heard from him?is he still racing?

I really hope to check out the big race in NY coming up and while I doubt its possible the thought of tossing a car together has crossed my mind.

Anyways chances are I'm going to head up to Speed Zone in Mt Holly as it is about a hour away and try and get the rust off of some of my old cars and maybe buy a new one or 2.

Thanks
    Robert

I-15 is alive and well here in the Mid-West. Also the Port Jeff guys have a great following.
    Current Pro Box Stock, I-15 and 27L World Record Holder!

Quote Originally Posted by eparison View Post
    I-15 is alive and well here in the Mid-West. Also the Port Jeff guys have a great following.
    That is good to hear,any ideas on where to find some tech info to help get back up to speed?Are the older Int 15 chassis still legal?I've got a few favorites from back in the day I'd like to try and run again.

How about up to date rules?

Sorry for all the questions,I just want to get prepped before driving 1-3 hours to a track.

Hi. we race 15's regularly in the NEUSRA, at Port Jeff Raceway in Farmingville NY, on the Island. We race regular 15's and One Motor 15's which is a local class and as the name implies you are restricted to one motor for an 8 heat race. Good class for people just starting or for those coming back after a layoff. Keith Keeler has started back for instance and he is racing that class. The Ted you are referring to is Matkowski, I believe. Haven't seen his name in a long time but next time I see Keith I will ask him if he has heard anything. Another old name who has come back after a long layoff is Walt Berg, he started back with OM15 also. You can check out Port Jeff on their website, www.portjeffraceway.com and the NEUSRA on its facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/515782488438662/ if you are on Facebook you can be added to the group all I need is your name. The Wing Car Worlds will be held at Port Jeff in a couple of weeks, info is on here and FB at https://www.facebook.com/events/9084...tive_tab=posts . 15's will be raced on Sunday, May 15th. If you want to take a drive and check things out. Might see some old racing buddies.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

The older chassis' are legal but would be uncompetitive, especially the wire cars, like the Ultralites, the Pearce, Zap, Dick P. , etc. They are too long and heavy. Car's are all aluminum frames these days. around 4.4" long for 15's. Extremely light. We race in spray glue now. The best wing tracks have evolved to being near perfect and very fast. Glue actually slows you down , spray glue is sufficient, a lot cleaner also. Armature quality is a lot better today, no more buying 30 to find 2. For rules see www.usraslots.com and the series race announcements on here. We are finished with the 2015/2016 season, but always run a summer series with reduced number of classes. That will be decided after the Worlds. It will be announced here, on FB, and through a mailing. You can PM me on here for any specific questions you have.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Not sure where you are coming from, but we race I15s at The Track (The original) in Gaithersburg every other month. We have wing races once a month and we alternate between I15 and C12.
    Pushing Zippity's Button every chance I get.

Robert
    I still have one of those I-15 Ultralite chassis made by Ted Matkowski ( I just know I butchered his last name). The I-15 class has evolved far beyond wire chassis like that. You should check out the USRA rules on this site to get the information your looking for.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

I remember Keeler and he was always fast from what I recall and that is the Ted I was trying to think of.I'm sure things have moved along as far as chassis and motors go so I'm sure there is going to be a learning curve.As far as glue goes I was never a fan of gluing and always preferred spray so that is a improvement in my opinion.I got out of it just as I was starting to get pretty fast in the wing cars but I also like grp 10 and really enjoyed a Nascar series that I actually won at so if that is all there is to race I'll still have fun.I just hope to try for more and Int 15 was always my favorite but I was never more than a middle of the pack racer and I hope to finally get a win.Granted it was pretty competitive back then too.I probably would have got a win but girls and other things took priority over racing

I might even throw a 27L together too but I'll have to hide the cost from my wife thats for sure lol.

Also thanks I found the USRA rules and have been going over them now.

Quote Originally Posted by skigolfmike View Post
    Not sure where you are coming from, but we race I15s at The Track (The original) in Gaithersburg every other month. We have wing races once a month and we alternate between I15 and C12.
    I could make Gaithersburg once a month or at least every other while I'm here in the states.Maybe I should look into C12's instead of a 27l car.

If you make it to PJ to check out the Worlds on the 15th ask around for me, Paul Kovich, I will be there racing 15's that day.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertBG View Post
    I could make Gaithersburg once a month or at least every other while I'm here in the states.Maybe I should look into C12's instead of a 27l car.
    27L is much more popular then C12 these days, and actually cheaper. They race 27L at a lot more tracks but C12 not so much. If you already had the stuff then race it but getting into it new at this stage probably not the best idea. 27 arms are more expensive but every thing else is cheaper.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hesketh View Post
    27L is much more popular then C12 these days, and actually cheaper. They race 27L at a lot more tracks but C12 not so much. If you already had the stuff then race it but getting into it new at this stage probably not the best idea. 27 arms are more expensive but every thing else is cheaper.
    I've got a few Cobalt 15's somewhere from right before I got out of it as that was supposed to be the next big thing that never panned out.I doubt much would be worth racing now though.

I'm going to take a guess that the C12's might be similar to the old I15's where you had 100 arms but only 5 worth racing?Or am I off base here,it just seems like they would go through some parts but who knows.

I'm trying to rearrange some things to make it to PJ for the 15's,I'll know Mon if I can.I'd sure love to toss something together and race but I'm assuming that there was qualifiers for the event?

Tossing something together would not be a good idea, the cars are so much faster now then what you were racing back then that you would be a danger to your self and everyone else on the track. Getting passed on either side every two laps is not much fun . Come and check things out, you will learn a lot and and be able figure out how best to get back in.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Robert we race G12, I15/C12, G27L once a month at The Track in Gaithersburg. We alternate I15 and C12. C12 motors run pretty consistant. I have 7 and that is plenty for a National class program. The C15 setups won't work as the C12 setups are a lot shorter. C12s at Gaithersburg run in the 2.1s. I raced in the 2.0s at the Nats.

I15s run 2.1s and 2.2s at PJ and we run in the high 2.2s and low 2.3s at Gaithersburg. 27Ls run 2.0s to 2.1s at Gaithersburg. G12s run 2.5s and 2.6s. The track slows a little in the summer as we lose grip due to the heat and humidity. The track gets faster in the winter.

For tires it's .615 Spec tires in WX+ in G12., .650s in WX+ or Buef blend in I15. .650s or .670s with WX+ in C12 and .609 or .650s in WX+ or Buef blend in 27L.

Koford M530B works well in G12, In I15 most are running the 4 rail chassis with an aluminum rear brace. The Koford or Camen chassis in 4.100" works well in 27L.

I believe our next wing race is on May 29th. The schedule should be in race announcements.
    Pushing Zippity's Button every chance I get.

Lol, probably the first step is to do a google maps comparison and see which track is closer , if you are way down in south jersey then Gaithersburg might be a lot closer then PJ.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast