Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coil vs Rectifier based Ceramic Zappers & Radial Mags

Old Coil vs New Capacitor based Ceramic Zappers & Radial Mags

Hey All,

I purchased a like new BOW zapper recently so I could Zapp my own I15's.

All my I15's are Radial Mag's and Gauss ~ 1050 on a Wright Way Ceramic Gauss Meter.

I Zapped an I15 that Guessed 1030 before the zapp and after the zapp only gaussed ~750.

I took the setup the local raceway and used a Wright Way Ceramic Zapper, and Zapped the setup a couple more times, only to have the same result ~750 Gauss.

I have a friend that has an older Coil Zapper who rezapped it and brought it right back to 1050.

Question #1: At this point I assume these small capacitor based zappers don't have the power to zapp Radials?

Question #2: Has anyone modified one of these to larger capacitors? Would that work to give it more juice?

Thanks!

-TheChad
    Last edited by TheChad; 05-12-2016 at 02:51 PM.

I had a Monty zapper for about 6 years or so and it was strong enough to reverse the magnets with one pop, so it's strong enough to saturate magnets. Worked great until the coil shorted out. That was nearly a shocking experience.

I got a new one from HVR, seems to work OK.
    Pushing Zippity's Button every chance I get.

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    I've used my capacitor zapper when I ran ceramic stuff and it typically exceed what my coil based zapper would do.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

The zapper Chad is using is a BOW, and it's not doing the job, he tried a WW at his track and got the same results? Has anyone had a similar experience?
    MON THE BIFF !!!

I e had no problem saturating my i15 and box 12 magnets with my Wright way zapper but you have to find the sweet spot in the well to do it. If your just dropping it in and hitting the button you will get results similar to what is being described.
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Cool

Maybe zapping RADIAL magnets makes them plain old magnets again. There IS only one north and south in a standard magnet zapper.

I have not used one of those pocket zappers, but I know big coils make big magnetic fields.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Mike how do you raise the magnets in the well? I guess use something nonmagnetic like wood or foam?
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Start with a piece of 1/4" thick foam in the air cavity well and keep increasing its height until you hit the sweet spot
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Foam works best Paul, sorry I didn't reply yesterday we were on our way out here to pj.
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Thanks, good luck, see you there.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

When you use an air coil zapper, you almost always hear a thud. BUT! if you get the set-up perfectly in the middle of the field generated you will hear nothing at all, it will just fire and zap your magnets. So as Zip says, add a piece of 1/4" foam and shim under that with some thin cardboard until you reach the no thud zone. All the new air coil zappers are actually stronger than the old fixture types, FYI. I am working on something new in that dept since the arrival of all the competition in the zapper market........
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

How can it be done?

Given the title of this thread I must admit that I am a little bit confused.
    The title indicates that a zapper can be made using either a rectifier or a coil.

I thought that the coil was necessary in order to make the magnetic field that is "zapping" the magnets. I have seen a lot of arrangements where magnets were being "zapped", and they all had to use a coil.

Regarding the recitifier: well, if your power source (the mains or whatever) is DC you would not need a rectifier. But since the mains are running AC in most of the world (I have never seen a place where they run DC, but more than 100 years ago it was common) the zapper need some kind of rectification of the voltage of the mains in order to charge the capacitors that are storing the energy.
    And it is when this energy is discharged through the coil (lots of current) that the magnetic field is created, and this magnetic field is "zapping" the magnets.

At least thats how I understand it, and that is how it was working all the places I have seen is in operation. And these places charged many 1000's of magnets every day.

My question is then: has a new "disruptive" technology been invented? Has the slot car community invented something that the world outside dont know anything about?

Steen

Is not the 'radial field' concept to replicate the multi-segment magnet with multiple fields in one solid magnet? Changing the zapper will change the entire magnetic field form. Proslot semi-quad magnets were the first design to simulate the effect in a one piece magnet.

I agree with Steen, The 'rectifier' converts AC to DC - a simple bridge rectifier. A capacitor only stores a finite electrical 'charge' to do a task.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

IMO, radial one piece magnets would be right up there with lightning in a bottle......................
    Why make it tougher than it really is?
    e-mail: scrgeo@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    When you use an air coil zapper, you almost always hear a thud. BUT! if you get the set-up perfectly in the middle of the field generated you will hear nothing at all, it will just fire and zap your magnets. So as Zip says, add a piece of 1/4" foam and shim under that with some thin cardboard until you reach the no thud zone. All the new air coil zappers are actually stronger than the old fixture types, FYI. I am working on something new in that dept since the arrival of all the competition in the zapper market........
    Mine makes a THUD even with nothing in the zapper at all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast