Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear axle lift?

The entire chassis can be flat and true. It's the upward 2 degree bend put into the guide tongue that allows for rear wheels to lift when you push down on the guide flag while the chassis is sitting on a standard tech block. I like many other racers do not leave the guide tongue straight unless you are racing in classes where all four tires must touch. Normally I put a 2-5 degree up angle on the guide tongue of all my SS chassis. If you always race at the same track you can tailor this angle to your specific track. In my opinion the ideal guide tongue setting would be one that starts off 0-1 degree with new race tires. As the tires wear the angle would increase to about 2-3 degrees. In order to measure correct rear wheel lift the guide flag with braid and rear tires race tires must be installed. When you push down on the guide flag the rear tires should lift about .025. Keep in mind that while tire diameter affects this lift amount so does the thickness of the braid in your guide. You'll gain more info by reading this whole thread.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Of course getting a stainless steel JK Cheetah 11 chassis totally flat is another matter . Bending by hand just doesn't do it .
    Message me Zippity if you want to know how to do it .

This thread is OLD news
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

So is a Champion chassis

I have a naturally flat Cheetah 11. It's the only one out of the 6 I bought and I haven't even put bushings in it yet. I really don't want to race it. It was perfect right out of the bag even the small flat in front of the gear sets flat on the track. Some of my other ones I had to take a hammer to but not this one.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

On a flat track you want less guide angle then banked. If your talking retro or 4.5" with fronts that touch it just depends.

TEST TEST TEST

Most slot cars have bigger rear tires than front, so the chassis is not parallel to the track. The flag always does need to be level to slightly 'up' in front. When the flag is shimmed to the best (tested) ride height, the rear tires should not rise much at all. Many tracks have inconsistent braid depths due to rebraiding or poor maintenance standards such as bumps and dips.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12