Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The case for/against shunting a G12 motor

The case for/against shunting a G12 motor

Is there a definitive advantage or disadvantage for adding shunts to a G12 motor for use on a flat road track?

Can any differences be measured in lap times or motor performance?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

I'm jumping on board for answers myself
    But in the past I always saw more reliability from shunted motors.They just seemed to hold their performance longer due to better spring life.

Usually it is just a matter "IF IT IS ALLOWED" in the rule book.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

i don't think there is a performance INCREASE
    My understanding is shunts take the amp load off the springs, keeping the springs cooler.
    When the springs heat up, the lose their temper, lessening the spring tension and therefore pressure of the brushes on the com
    This reduces h/power and brakes

Isolate the springs from the current, they stay cooler and you don't lose performance on a long heat
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

Quote Originally Posted by swodem View Post
    i don't think there is a performance INCREASE
    My understanding is shunts take the amp load off the springs, keeping the springs cooler.
    When the springs heat up, the lose their temper, lessening the spring tension and therefore pressure of the brushes on the com
    This reduces h/power and brakes

Isolate the springs from the current, they stay cooler and you don't lose performance on a long heat

There for its related to longevity and performance, is it not better you have this advantage if others choose not to do so.

If it means better performance over a race length and more consistent lap times then well worth doing

And since i race against you i highly recommend you dont use them, waste of time lol

Hahahahahahaha and on that note, latest tests show 1/4" clearance under the car and a nose-down guide flag is the new setup of choice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked one of my regular wing racers, last night, if he ever had any issues with springs losing tension in unshunted G12 motors and he said no.

He added all he's ever used is Champion lights.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    I asked one of my regular wing racers, last night, if he ever had any issues with springs losing tension in unshunted G12 motors and he said no.

He added all he's ever used is Champion lights.
    how long are average heats? 3min?

3 minutes.

Not saying there is a negative in using shunts, just that if a buss bar broke, you're better off soldering the lead wire right to the face of the hood, vs. doing anything that would risk sending you to the pits later, like soldering the end of the lead wire on to the end of the shunt, and then having the lead wire pull the shunt out.

As mentioned in another thread, if non-shunted motors had any issues of slowing as the heat or race went on, how could races using non-shunted motors result in more laps than races with shunted motors.

Also, if it was a reliability issue, I'm sure the USRA would change the rule to allow them?
    Last edited by swiss; 07-10-2016 at 03:54 PM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

The current to the motor brush without shunts goes through the springs and hoods. The spring alone won't carry much current because of its diameter so most power goes through the hoods. Anyone who has taken a motor brush out of a motor after its been run will see a lot of dirt and oil collected on the sides which blocks some of the current going to the brush. Shunts just give another path for power to get to the com. With all else being equal the shunted motor should run more efficiently.
    Skidmarks
    230 S. Averill
    Flint, Mi 48506

Run a eurosport without shunt wire and get back to me

Quote Originally Posted by steve37 View Post
    Run a eurosport without shunt wire and get back to me
    I missed in this thread, or any other, where I stated or implied, you could.

A Eurosport arm has approx. 5 - 7 times less resistance than a G12.

To compare them, would be like comparing apples to....hamburgers. Lol

That said, I've pitted G27 cars, at least a few times, where a buss bar broke off with the shunt wire attached to it.

I soldered the lead wire direct to the face of the brush hood.(and of course, without the shunt)

In each instance, the motor finished the race, and there wasn't any loss in speed.(that myself or the driver noticed)
    Last edited by swiss; 07-14-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

When it comes to slotcars Mike Swiss forgot **** years ago that you haven't even learned yet .
    MON THE BIFF !!!

Quote Originally Posted by swiss View Post
    I missed in this thread, or any other, where I stated or implied, you could.

A Eurosport arm has approx. 5 - 7 times less resistance than a G12.

To compare them, would be like comparing apples to....hamburgers. Lol

That said, I've pitted G27 cars, at least a few times, where a buss bar broke off with the shunt wire attached to it.

I soldered the lead wire direct to the face of the brush hood.(and of course, without the shunt)

In each instance, the motor finished the race, and there wasn't any loss in speed.(that myself or the driver noticed)

Its the net and S..t happens, conclusion regardless your 200 years of knowledge run them or not electric motors either toy cars or larger motors in this world run shunts.

Conclusion: there is none based on the wealth of content here, run them if you wish or dont your call whatever makes you feel better.

Please do not turn this thread into a pissing contest, or a clash of egos.

Thank you.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast