Thread: magnet matching question

magnet matching question

I've got a few sets of mags that are pretty close the problem is the ones closest in strength are the same poles.
    If I zapped them in the other direction will they still carry similar readings in strength or is it dependent on their poles too.
    Has anyone reversed mags and they lost strength?and suggestions on how to do it without building complete motors?Could I just superglue them in for reversing?

As long as they match put them in a can and zap them the way they need to be they should be a close match even after reversing the poles
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Thanks,problem is I need to reverse one from another set to make them match.If that makes sense.

I'll give it a shot and reverse the one set.

Monty was a firm believer in reverse zapping magnets before zapping them in their final orientation.
    Last edited by Zippity; 06-22-2016 at 10:16 PM.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

That is fine once their installed just zap them in the setup
    Give me my glue bottle!!!!!!!!!![B]

Home of the 2007 USRA Nats and a pretty fast King Track
    Closely matched magnets will not be once the motor is installed in the car, the affect of the steel axle and motor brace will increase the Gauss of the rear magnet. Try it yourself with your Gauss meter then decide how to proceed.
    There are "Racers" and there are "Talkers".....which one are you?

I have made a special zapper and now done countless mags to come to one conclusion at least.

You can spend countless hours figuring out what works best, i now mix and match mags including using 2 south or 2 north in the same motor and re zap to get the polarity right.

So called matched mags out of the packet didnt work any better than mixing and matching odd sets, you can get way different results from many combos using the same arm then change to a different setup and get a totally different result.

Ive also found mag gaps are not as important as finding the right mags to match the arm, i guess its good reason why Monty had thousands of mags to pick from.

Robert, one more thing to consider about magnets is "tip strength" and yes the tips on the same magnet can vary in strength. You can install the magnets with either a "push" or "pull" effect. By that I mean the strongest tip pushes or pulls on the arm as it's leaving/entering the magnet field for that particular magnet. Both ways seem to work the same at least I haven't noticed much of a difference and in reality what your doing, for the lack of a better word, is balancing the magnetic field. If you have both strong tips parallel to each other that means the weaker tips are also parallel to each other and the field strength would seem to be lopsided. When you have a strong tip parallel to a weaker tip this should create a smoother transition for the arm as it rotates through the magnetic field. Try both ways and see what you come up with. I hate to say this but Roman was right, lol. Perfectly matched magnets in a setup show very different numbers when the motor is in the chassis. In my case and with my magnet matcher I realized that a rear magnet with usually 20 points of difference to the front magnet in the setup was nearly a perfect match in the chassis. I call 0-5 points a near perfect match and good enough for me.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanK View Post
    Closely matched magnets will not be once the motor is installed in the car, the affect of the steel axle and motor brace will increase the Gauss of the rear magnet. Try it yourself with your Gauss meter then decide how to proceed.
    I should have used the term matched loosely.I realize that axles and motor braces will affect them and that is part of what I'm experimenting with at the moment.

My biggest concern is using 2 north's in the same motor,hopefully when I reverse the one it doesn't affect the tip strength too much but we'll see

Put them in a can with a sug and zap them . Then take them out and re measure them to see if they match ,
    Note - Always install the magnets so that the strongest magnet tips are pushing away .

I always measure my magnets on my magnet matcher before I epoxy them in the can .
    I have always found the Koford ceramic magnets to be well matched straight out of the pack but you still need to find which are the strongest magnet tips .
    Last edited by Ron; 11-19-2017 at 12:38 AM.