Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me clean up ebay

Help me clean up ebay

OK I know there are a lot of opinions about ebay. Some of you hate it some of you love it. I know I have a love it, hate it relationship. I love when I find that old part that I can't get anywhere else. I hate it when I see sellers telling outright lies about their items. I often write to sellers pointing out mistakes and questionable descriptions. Some of them thank me for educating them, some of them call me names and hate me for exposing their fraud. I've seen a number of auctions change categories after I point out that it's not vintage (pre-1970) or rare, one of a kind, or new.

I have complained to ebay about the most questionable auctions with no action on their part. They make it hard to complain or "report" a listing unless it's vulgar, violent or sexual (not always a bad thing in my mind.) You'd think that keyword stuffing, outright lies with no real descriptions would get their attention but you'd be wrong. In the worst cases I have called ebay to complain and even when they agree with me they don't do anything. I had one rep tell me they don't have anyone to investigate these types of complaints. WTF you don't need anyone to review listings, I just told you where to look!

So that's where you come in. You are one of the largest bodies of knowledge on the topic of slot cars in existence. You can spot a fake or misrepresented description from a mile away without your glasses. What I asking you to do is if you see something say something to the seller. I'm not asking you to be mean or rude, which I have been called, but just factual. Call their bluff. Let them know that the racing community is watching and we don't appreciate them bastardizing our hobby. Look I know it's not solving the ills of the world, won't bring back you favorite raceway but it's our little world and you can make it better. Join me in becoming an agent to change the selling tactics on ebay. Remember your pen is mightier than a sword and you won't go to jail for cutting bad sellers to the quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My other car is a Manta Ray

OK here's a response from a seller I contacted. Does feedback work? I say yes.

On Aug-29-16 at 10:44:48 PDT, seller added the following information:

WAS TOLD BY EBAY PERSON THAT CHASSIS ARE NOT PARMA. I WAS PRETTY SURE CAM AM CHASSIS WAS. F-1 CHASSIS ISA EITHER A KJ OR RED FOX BUILT CHASSIS AND IS NOT A VINTAGE CHASSIS BUT A RETRO BUILT FRAME. THE MURA MOTOR IS VINTAGE 60S/70S. IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT OF THESE CARS PLEASE DO NOT BID. SORRY THESE PHOTOS ARE BAD I WILL HAVE TO FIND A BETTER CAMERA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's an example of what I hate. Check this out:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scratch...MakeTrack=true

More from the same guy:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scratch...3D302070325027

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scratch...0AAOSwi0RX1hh6

Here's the feedback I gave him:Scratch building is the process of building a scale model "from scratch", i.e. from raw materials, rather than building it from a commercial kit, kitbashing or buying it pre-assembled.

What do you think?
    Last edited by fatbear; 09-12-2016 at 04:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by fatbear View Post
    Here's an example of what I hate. Check this out:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scratch...MakeTrack=true

More from the same guy:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scratch...3D302070325027

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-24-Scratch...0AAOSwi0RX1hh6

Here's the feedback I gave him:Scratch building is the process of building a scale model "from scratch", i.e. from raw materials, rather than building it from a commercial kit, kitbashing or buying it pre-assembled.

What do you think?
    I think you're a control freak. If you don't like his ad or the product he's selling then don't bid on it. It would be up to the individual buyer to request a refund if they felt the item they had purchased was misrepresented. With pictures, pretty sure the buyer knows what they are buying?
    NONE

Right or wrong, everybody seems to have their own opinions of what a 'scratchbuilt" car is. i treat it just like the overused word "rare." I contact a few eBay sellers if their listings are mis-identified or unknown, But if I tried to fix everything i see that's wrong with eBay, I'd never get anything else done.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

I hear ya fatbear but if every user on here did what you're doing it wouldn't change much.
    "You gotta let it go man"
    Instead of banging your head against the wall trying to fix ignorant or fraudulent slot posters on ebay play this relaxing song. Think of it as therapy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyrZQxPTa50

Don't like it don't buy it... CAVEAT EMPTOR

Love the feedback, it's all good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarin Assault View Post
    I hear ya fatbear but if every user on here did what you're doing it wouldn't change much.
    "You gotta let it go man"
    Instead of banging your head against the wall trying to fix ignorant or fraudulent slot posters on ebay play this relaxing song. Think of it as therapy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyrZQxPTa50
    I like this one better when I want to relax https://youtu.be/uMK0prafzw0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill from NH View Post
    Right or wrong, everybody seems to have their own opinions of what a 'scratchbuilt" car is. i treat it just like the overused word "rare." I contact a few eBay sellers if their listings are mis-identified or unknown, But if I tried to fix everything i see that's wrong with eBay, I'd never get anything else done.
    I used a Wikipedia definition as feedback. I'd love to hear where others draw the line on what is "scratchbuilt."

PS Being correct is never in fashion, I think that's why I do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I used a Wikipedia definition as feedback. I'd love to hear where others draw the line on what is "scratchbuilt."

PS Being correct is never in fashion, I think that's why I do it.

Geez....give it a rest. Now you want to have a discussion about the semantics of scratch built? You're missing the point. Who cares what the definition of scratch built is? It means different things to different people. Again if you don't like the eBay item or the sellers ad then don't bid on it. Unfortunately, that's not what your happy with. You definitely have control issues and want ALL eBay ads to fit your paradigm of what YOU think they should be? No wonder why this hobby is messed up. It's full of bitter old men with control issues who sadly believe the best time of their life was when they were 15 years old playing with toy car. Go spend time with your grandchildren before it's too late.
    Last edited by Scale Series; 09-15-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    NONE

Scratch built says what?

Quote Originally Posted by Scale Series View Post
    Geez....give it a rest. Now you want to have a discussion about the semantics of scratch built? You're missing the point. Who cares what the definition of scratch built is? It means different things to different people. Again if you don't like the eBay item or the sellers ad then don't bid on it. Unfortunately, that's not what your happy with. You definitely have control issues and want ALL eBay ads to fit your paradigm of what YOU think they should be? No wonder why this hobby is messed up. It's full of bitter old men with control issues who sadly believe the best time of their life was when they were 15 years old playing with toy car. Go spend time with your grandchildren before it's too late.
    I beg to differ. "Scrach built" is a term/phrase with a specific definition, try looking it up. Unlike a term like vintage which can mean different things to different people.

As far as a the rest of your comments, it takes one to know one. Go F your self!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Your self!" should be one word!

What do you think?
    I beg to differ. "Scrach built" is a term/phrase with a specific definition, try looking it up. Unlike a term like vintage which can mean different things to different people.

OK, since YOU are the self proclaimed scratch built police please enlighten the rest of the unwashed masses:

Based on your definition pretty much the only scratch built chassis are jail door or ones that the builder literally fabricated every piece of the chassis?

If the 60's / 70's builder used a commercial motor bracket or Cobra drop arm then that's not scratch built? If it is, what percentage of the chassis needed to be from K&S and not commercially available parts? How am I calculating the percentage? Is it based on the number of pieces or cm2 Are Stubie or TonyP just kit assemblers or did they scratch build their chassis? If I have a Jail Door chassis built by one of the 60's legends, I can't sell it as scratch built because it came to me preassembled? If someone took a Dynamic center section and fabricated the rest of the chassis to make a Detroit Slider is that scratch built? If it's a JD chassis with a pre-painted commercially available body, is that not scratch built? Likewise if some kid took a mass produced chassis and changed a couple things and put a Dave Bloom body on it, is it scratch built is it not?

In regard to modern Retro racing. If I design a chassis in ACad and water jet the parts out of a 6"X6" sheet of brass, is it scratch built? If I take the same ACad design and nibble and file the pieces by hand, is it then scratch built? Can I use ACad or do I need to use graph paper and a pencil?

Like I said everyone has their own idea of what scratch built is. You might have your own narrow framework of what YOU think it is. Everyone else has their own definition including eBay sellers and buyers.
    Last edited by Scale Series; 09-16-2016 at 03:11 PM.
    NONE

I might question whether the "mass produced chassis and changed a couple things and put a Dave Bloom body on it," was a "scratchbuilt" car., but the other examples you mention are. I have my first scratchbuilt car I built in 1967. It has a Lancer factory painted body but the chassis is 100% scratchbuilt brass, except for the Russkit motor bracket. If one build a retro or a jaildoor chassis, they doesn't have to form their own brass rods & sheets.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast