Thread: Nothing here for those new to the sport?

Nothing here for those new to the sport?

I'm a newcomer to this Forum, not unfamiliar with slot cars but only by virtue of the fact that I'm 62 years old. This is a fine place with a vast variety of sections on various topics, but there seems to be no section that explains slot car racing to those unfamiliar with it!

I find this extremely odd, especially considering that I DO find countless posts bemoaning the "death of the sport". I'm not looking to start a flame war, nor am I the newbie that thinks he knows it all. But I am very familiar with online forums, and I do think this one (and the sport) could benefit from a prominent link such as "What is Slot Car Racing?" that leads to a simple but comprehensive explanation of the hobby.

At the time I wrote this post, there were 10 members and 93 guests online. I think if the admins would check statistics, they would find that guests seldom spend much time here. I also suspect that most are baffled by the complexity of the sections and subsections, can find no content pertinent to them, and simply move on. Personally, I feel every guest is a potential member and a good candidate to help slot car racing grow. Why not give them something to look at that they can understand?

Thank you,
    Garry
    Last edited by Harpo; 09-30-2016 at 11:41 AM.

That's the biggest problem in our hobby ...62 ... the youngsters are all going to the RC side of the hobby shop

You do have a good point and it is something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by JW racing View Post
    That's the biggest problem in our hobby ...62 ... the youngsters are all going to the RC side of the hobby shop
    RC cars and smart phones.. Me and a friend went to the scale nats at Speedzone year and a half ago. I was sitting watching a semi and mentioned that the average age on the drivers panel had to be 50++. And looking around that held pretty true amongst all the racers there. I hate to think what happens when all US old guys quit or drop over.

Have you tried Wikipedia? Scale Auto News published a very complete series of booklets about twenty years ago that DO need to be updated. Several print magazines do exist with some biased basics - and every raceway has their own idea of basic training to the hobby/sport. Most kids cannot use simple hand tools. Manual skills are lacking in most classes.

Sometimes the technology gets in the way. Photography (to me), involves an adjustable camera with different lenses, film and chemical developing and paper processing. Digital imaging (modern photography) only shares the final printed image with more equipment expense - IF you want a real camera instead of just another use of a telephone.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 09-30-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

All Right, So What is a Slot Car, Anyway???
    or
    The Question Every Non-Slot Car Racer Who Finds This Site Is Probably Asking
    By Jett Guideflagg

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/articl...is-a-slot-car/

A bit out of date... I've been meaning to do an update for ages, but I'll have to bump it up my list
    and get it updated soon... but it's a good place to start.
    Perhaps a good idea might be a beginners sub-forum here on Slot Car Talk as well,
    with a sticky thread or 2 with some basic info for newbees or returnees.

I hope that helps!

- Paul K @ OWH
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

i find that a lot the kids that drag race have excellent reaction times because of all the frickin video games they play.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

At the time I wrote this post, there were 10 members and 93 guests online. I think if the admins would check statistics, they would find that guests seldom spend much time here. I also suspect that most are baffled by the complexity of the sections and subsections, can find no content pertinent to them, and simply move on. Personally, I feel every guest is a potential member and a good candidate to help slot car racing grow. Why not give them something to look at that they can understand?

I would think most of the guests are like me? I don't log in unless I'm going to post, so therefore I look like a guest. You might find a few who are truly guests, but IMO anymore than 1/2 dozen of those 93 is probably doubtful. It's an extremely niche hobby, thats members are dying off in hoards daily.
    NONE

Any race weekend at the Buena Park Raceway looks like an AARP meeting. Bald men who limp and have gray beards.l...

John Andersen
    Retired and closer to 70 than 60..

...and we all prefer to hold a controller in our hands than a cell phone!
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Drop the mic!
    Jeff Bechtel/Former Int-15 World & National Champion

Yes we are old men now but at 1 time we were not. What got you interested in our hobby? I am turning 53 in a few days yat I am drawn back into the hobby because of the friends I have made over 35 plus years of racing. when I first started there were video games and arcades to play them in. We were just more get in there and get your hands dirty, not what is on my screen. Technology has killed many a hobby and I for 1 am just happy ours has not totally died off yet.
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by qtupro View Post
    Yes we are old men now but at 1 time we were not. What got you interested in our hobby? I am turning 53 in a few days yat I am drawn back into the hobby because of the friends I have made over 35 plus years of racing. when I first started there were video games and arcades to play them in. We were just more get in there and get your hands dirty, not what is on my screen. Technology has killed many a hobby and I for 1 am just happy ours has not totally died off yet.
    53???

Young Whippersnapper...

- PK @ OWH
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

yes but I feel much younger at times but mostly older as most of my slot friends are older. Paul Pfeiffer, Jim Mayer, dare I say Mike Swiss , John Pierce.
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

in this category forum, look at the photos in "moore photos" threads

then scroll thru some pages of http://www.redrc.net/ http://liverc.com/ http://www.neobuggy.net/ just to name a few, a mix of young and older drivers

over my travels, i have gone to slot car tracks, with 1-3 road courses sitting idle and used for rentals, where one drag strip 1/8, 1/4, etc was keeping the doors open. bracket racing is the great equipment equalizer you can't buy a win to overcome a slow trigger. bracket slot car racing usually has good mix younger drivers

buy a win, yes. not everyone has the ability to build what it takes to win, or buy the top notch blueprinted motors built by ex champs....example:

in 2004 i was temporarily in a area, which had about 27-35 B-12 racers, everyone was running $70-90 blueprinted motors off the shelf from PRI, koford, Micky-vegas, few built their own. races were on a super banked king, wrecks were few. overall each race was a drag race. then we had a driver (actually oldest there) find a builder on facebook. next three weeks we could not touch him, found out he was buying at the time were $168+ each....blueprinted motors. the speed difference was rather noticeable. wing slot racing there crashed once the word got out. slot drag racing picked up even more, and many of us focused again into RC which that location also ran