Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 USRA By Laws and National Director Voting Results

2016 USRA By Laws and National Director Voting Results

Here is a chart of the Voting Results. All Proposals passed and Roger Schmitt is the New USRA National Director

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016 USRA Bylaws Online Voting Results.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	17363  

Last edited by oldweirdherald; 10-02-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: pasted image
    Shontel

Dallas Slot Cars
    dallasslotcars.com

Glad that's over with, now the USRA as the governing organization for wing car racing in the US is finally over and done with.
    MON THE BIFF !!!

So what are the 12 rules changes that were passed? These numbers do not mean anything if we don't know what was changed. Is the USRA now a secret society?
    Jeff Bechtel/Former Int-15 World & National Champion

Apparently, even from the members too. The link to the voting page now only says voting has concluded.

So, here is what I remember

Eliminate G12 as a Nationals class. Not clear if this leaves One Motor Box as a Nationals Class.

Eliminate I15 as a Nationals class.

Eliminate C12 as a Nationals class.

Eliminate 27 Am as a Nationals class.

Eliminate 27 Pro as a Nationals class.

Eliminate Geezer Open as a Nationals class.

Eliminate Semi-Pro Open as a Nationals class.

That was the meat of it. The rest was cleaning up the language in a couple places in the bylaws and a spec tire rule that passed that would have only applied to G12.

As of now the Nats classes are:

OMG12 ?? (Unclear if even this is still a Nationals class)
    27L
    2MO
    Open

As far as I am concerned, there is no point in going to a USRA Nats just to run OMG12 (assuming the class is still a Nats class) and maybe 27L.

I had actually considered going to Rohnert Park and I would have raced G12, I15 and C12, but there is no point in going all the way across the country to run in 1 class. Sorry Frank, I won't be there.

My final comments: Was this done with in the rules? Yes. Was it ethical? No. There is no way the whole USRA membership should have voted on what classes Div 1 runs at a Nats. Just looking at the numbers, are there even that many USRA Div 1 racers as the number who voted yes to these proposals? I doubt it. I think it's very likely the Div 2 racers voted yes as I believe there are far more Div 2 members than Div 1 members based on Nats numbers. I also heard some people say, "You should have been at the Nats." Well, I was and several other people I know were there and we were blind sided by this. IMNSHO, this was completely underhanded and unethical. I certainly wasn't done above board.

This is one time I'll have to agree with Paul USRA Wing Racing is dead. It's definitely dead to me.
    Last edited by skigolfmike; 10-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    Pushing Zippity's Button every chance I get.

If this is so then USRA wings are done. I was not far from my wife's uncle and we would like to visit them but now we can choose a better time than Ausust to go like when it is cold here in Wisconsin and race in a different organization. Shontelle please enlighten us.
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

The USRA Nationals Rules should never have devolved into a rules set that decided what manufacturers could make for (or that Raceways can race in) local races.
    A race and a national champion for every class that every raceway can come up with has proven to create an unwieldy (and easily manipulated by a small group) set of rules that is its own worst enemy.

Those that are willing to travel to race ultimate slot cars are few and far between...trying to pad the program with a bunch of local classes has done nothing to increase participation in serious wing cars.

The Nats is not the place to promote local classes, no more than Formula 1 races are the place to race soap box derby cars.
    "I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

After reading these comments .... it's obvious to me why the kids are lining up for RCs

Quote Originally Posted by JW racing View Post
    After reading these comments .... it's obvious to me why the kids are lining up for RCs
    Commercial Slot Car Racing died shortly after I got into it in 1964. I've been happily participating in the funeral ever since.
    It's hard to compete with a new electronic toy from China every few weeks that costs less than a slot car.
    All Hobbies are struggling...even RC.
    "I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Quote Originally Posted by JW racing View Post

What world are you living in? It's not the 80's anymore. Kids play https://minecraft.net , GTA or do other things. My son is 15, I don't think he or his friends have played with RC cars since they were 9? Traditional hobbies are a thing of the past. What was state of the art for you as a kid is an antique that might evoke a mild nostalgic fascination for a brief couple of hours for most today. No different than 1:1 auto racing. Kids my sons age could care less about NASCAR, Indycar, F1 or most auto racing other than maybe Rally Cars. They're into drifting, X games and "lifestyle" events like Offset Kings. They want cars of their generation like WRX, STi, EVO's, Focus RS or the new Civic Type R. They could care less about Camaro's, Mustang, Challenger SRT-8 or Corvette's. They've seen enough videos on Youtube of old men leaving "cars and coffee" and loosing control of their Mustangs and sliding into crowds to know that's what they don't want.

Last edited by Scale Series; 10-02-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    NONE

2016 USRA Bylaws Proposals

Proposal Number 1

Page 4 Article II B Classes of Membership

Incorrect wording

Says that Only General Members in good standing may enter sanctioned events.

Should also include Commercial Members in good standing may enter sanctioned events.
    The way it reads now ONLY General Members may enter events. Should include Commercial Members as well.
    The USRA has always allowed Commercial Members to enter events and the rulebook wording should reflect this correctly.

Reason and Effect: The rulebook will read correctly and nothing changes from currently allowing Commercial Members to enter events.

Approve Proposal Number 1: Yes No

Proposal Number 2

Page 5 Article III Emergency Clause

A. Need to have the following added: In emergency situations only.

This needs to change to read:

The USRA Board of Directors may add, delete or modify any rule(s) to ensure fairness to the sport of slot car racing in "Emergency Situations" only. All Decisions will be final.

Reason and Effect: By adding "Emergency Situations" only this will keep rules from being changed for whatever reasons that may not be necessary in order to have fairness for all. The rule will be defined clearly for the future.

Approve Proposal Number 2: Yes No

Page 14 Article VIII Section D Line G Wing Car Classes

Proposal Number 3

Group 12 REMOVE

Reason and Effect: The USRA does not need 3 different Group 12 classes during the week of the Nats. There just needs to be one class for Group 12 cars. Most Group 12 racers race in the One Motor Box class together and that should remain as is. OM Box is more economical to run being only one motor can be used and the class uses hand out tires. There is no weight limit in OM Box and some feel that Group 12 Am and Ex has lost it's popularity due to the weight rule in Group 12.

Racers can still use all of their current chassis and motors in OM Box as they currently do and the current OM Box rule allow for chassis pans to be removed so all chassis being used can be modified to be used in OM Box at the racers option.

This will also remove one day of racing from the current 10 days Nats schedule saving racers money on hotel and added costs to run an additional class.

Approve Proposal Number 3: Yes No

Proposal Number 4

International 15 REMOVE

Reason and Effect: Reduces current Nats Schedule by one more day due to lack of participation in this class from what it once was. Racers can still use their Int 15 equipment that they currently use in Regional races that usually get a better turn out than at the Nats.

Approve Proposal Number 4: Yes No

Proposal Number 5

Cobalt 12 REMOVE

Reason and Effect: Reduces current Nats Schedule by one more day due to lack of participation in this class from what it once was. Racers can still use their Cobalt 12 equipment that they currently use in Regional races that usually get a better turn out than at the Nats.

Approve Proposal Number 5: Yes No

Proposal Number 6

Group 27 Am REMOVE

Reason and Effect: Reduces current Nats Schedule by one more day due to lack of participation in this class as 27 Lite has become very popular. Racers can still use their Group 27 equipment that they currently use in Regional races that usually get a better turn out than at the Nats.

Approve Proposal Number 6: Yes No

Proposal Number 7

Group 27 Pro REMOVE

Reason and Effect: Reduces current Nats Schedule by one more day due to lack of participation in this class as 27 Lite has become very popular. Racers can still use their Group 27 equipment that they currently use in Regional races that usually get a better turn out than at the Nats.

Approve Proposal Number 7: Yes No

Proposal Number 8

Semi Pro Group 7 REMOVE

Reason and Effect: Reduces current Nats Schedule by one more day due to lack of participation in this class from what it once was. Most Semi Pro racers run in the Two Motor Open class with the Pro racers. Racers can still use their Group 7 equipment that they currently use in Two Motor Open and Group 7 Pro classes at the Nats and in Regional race as well. With one less Gr 7 class at the Nats, it will save the racers money on hotel and equipment it takes to race this additional class.

Approve Proposal Number 8: Yes No

Proposal Number 9

Geezer becomes a "optional" race as is the Open Warm Up race.

Reason and Effect: Reduces current Nats Schedule by one more day due to lack of participation in this class from what it once was. Most Group 7 racers run in the Two Motor Open class with the Pro racers. Racers can still use their Group 7 equipment that they currently use in Two Motor Open and Group 7 Pro classes at the Nats and in Regional race as well. With one less Gr 7 class at the Nats, it will save the racers money on hotel and equipment it takes to race this additional class.

Overall Reason and Effect for Removing classes from the Nats Schedule: The current Wing Car Nats schedule is 10 days long and too many duplicate classes being ran. Most of the proposed classes for removal are no longer popular nor justify a full day dedicated to their running at the Nationals. A shorter length Nats will save money for everyone and may increase participation in the remaining classes due to shorter schedule. Most racers talk about this on social media and is a major complaint about the USRA.

NOTE: The USRA will retain the class rules in future online rule books ( voted out classes ) to serve as rules for Regional USRA racing and events where these regions or raceways will have the option of running these classes.

Approve Proposal Number 9: Yes No

Proposal Number 10

Page 5 Article IV NEW SECTION B

Board of Directors

The USRA BOD will be filled by the following officers:

The current National Director
    The current Wing Division Director
    The current Wing Tech Division Director
    The current Scale Division Director
    The current Scale Tech Division Director
    The past National Director.

Cause and Effect: No where in the current By Laws does it state who or what officers are to serve on and as the USRA Board of Directors. The only mention of who is on the BOD is the past National Director. This needs to be clarified for the future.

Approve Proposal Number 10: Yes No

Proposal Number 11

New Article 11 Line 1.

All Tires in the Wing Division Tagged Armature classes must be purchased through the raceway at the National Event and all Tires will be marked by the raceway owner and/or tech director and checked at tech and during mid race techs and at any time the tech director deems necessary. Any racer found to be racing non marked tires during racing will have to change to marked tires during green flag conditions on the first infraction and the 2nd infraction will result in immediate disqualification from the class.

Cause and Effect: This will allow the raceway more sales of tires at the National Event. It will eliminate tires not generally available to all participants and insure fairness to all participating and racing in these classes. This rule will not change the current rules in classes that currently use "hand out" tires.

Approve Proposal Number 11: Yes No

Proposal Number 12

New Article 11 Line 2

All Tires sold to hosting raceway must be sold at "Normal Industry Discount" ( no short discounts ) and meet retail requirements for applicable classes that have retail requirements.

Cause and Effect: This will allow raceways to retain their normal profit margin on tires sold. This is fair to all manufacturers of tires and raceways.

Approve Proposal Number 12: Yes No

NATIONAL DIRECTOR VOTING

The following have been Nominated for USRA National Director for 2017-18

National Director:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RIP USRA
    good luck the hobby has a knife in it's back
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

As a current non-member, it looks like common sense was the winner
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    As a current non-member, it looks like common sense was the winner
    Really?

Tell that to all the people with National level programs for G12, I15, C12 and 27. 2 years ago, this was a non issue. One bad turnout and people lose their minds?

10/2/2016 the day the lack of leadership killed USRA Wing racing.
    Pushing Zippity's Button every chance I get.

In 1979 only three classes were run at the Nat. Pro, Semi Pro, 27.
    some times you have to cut the fat.

Does this go into play at the 2017 Nats?
    Skidmarks
    230 S. Averill
    Flint, Mi 48506

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast