Thread: Czech Pro2 Question

Czech Pro2 Question

Hi All,

Im trying to find out some information on the Czech Pro2 controller. I have one and im trying to find out the model of the 2 power transistors on the controller. Mine do not have any model numbers on them. I know that they are Darlington Power Transistors, but I dont know the rating.. I think they may be 25A each, but im not sure.

Any help would be appreciated...

Heres a pictures for reference...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_0002.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	17429
    Casey Scott

Team Camen - PK Armatures

www.theisrausa.com

Hi Casey,

Well, well.well.

As I have stated a couple of times at this or other forums the power transistors in a Pro-2 are single emitter-followers, NOT Darlington-transistors.

Darlingtons are used in the Pro-3, which is not made by the same guy who made the Pro-2.

I have tried to repair Pro-2 with 2N5886 (which are 25A types) and that seems to be working fine, thank you very much. However, I would probably recommend 2N5686, which are 50A/300W types. There is no reason to try to match the transistors, because at the currents our cars are pulling the internal emitter-resistance of the transistors are almost balancing the currents between the 2 transistors.

Go for it!

Steen

Hey Steen!

Thanks for the response.. So do you think i can just use 1 2n5686? or do i need 2?
    Casey Scott

www.theisrausa.com

Hi Casey,

There is a significant reason why Petr Krcil choese to use 2 transistors. It is that no matter which of the suggested transistor you use 2 transistors will have a greater current gain than a single transistor, and this is important since these transistor are NOT Darlingtons, but single transistors.
    The very importan benefit of NOT using Darlingtons is that the last step before full power is appx 1V, while on a Darlington it can easily be 2V, given the currents we are pulling.

Use 2 transistors. You are not skimping on set-ups, chassis or armatures, are you?

Steen

Hi Steen,

No i am definitely not skimping on any of the other equipment i use.. And i dont plan to skimp on this either.. I was just making sure since i'm not a controller expert.

Thanks Steen
    Casey Scott

www.theisrausa.com

Hi Casey,

this is good to hear.

Fact is that we are really concerned about the linear operation of the transistors, which is making the operation of the controller more predictable when the circumstances are changing - this could be track, track power, glue-conditions, temperature, motors and motor condition and what have you.

The controller is the tool you use when you are evaluation everything ON THE TRACK, and that means that the controller will have to behave the same way whatever you throw at it.

You could say that a Pro-2 is a beefed-up version of a classic Difalco-controller, the Difalco-design being the "mother" of most controllers using bipolar transistor.
    By using two power transistors the Pro-2 offers better linearity and more power-handling.

The last couple of years we have seen a slew of new controllers from several countries. Some are outright saying that they are Difalco-versions (whatever that means) and some can easily be seen as a "Difalco-type" of controller.
    All of them are using only 1 transistor, with the type-number taken away. I havent made any measurements on any of them. Some experienced racers are saying they are fine, and some say they are so-so. The jury is out.

Good luck.

Steen

Hi Steen!

Once more question.. This is the last piece i have a question about.. This relay in the bottom of the controller. Do you know what model this is...? It says Finder 40.61 but im not sure which one it actually is when i search for it.. Can you answer that for me.. I would really appreciate it..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_000 (27).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	17431
    Casey Scott

www.theisrausa.com

Hi Casey,

I don't know more thasn you do. It's says Finder Type 40.01, but I guess that if you are looking for a 12V/20 or 30 or 40A relay you would be able to find something similar, both with respect to electrical specifications, size and pin-out. Let me know if you have problems and I might be able to help.

I have repaired the relay-function on a Pro-2 using an Autorelay, 30A and it worked fine. The only problem was to squeeze it in there. I have some relays that are really small (panasonic something, I cant remember) and as new they have extremely low resistance.
    But the problem with relay is that over time, when they are switching high DC-currents (which they do with slot-cars) they are starting to arc, and the contact resistance goes up. You will be loosing power, Not more than a feet of choke, maybe two.

This is an area where FET's are a lot better. They will keep the low resistance until the sun will absorb the earth.

Steen

Steen,

I will be putting all this in a little bit bigger case so the bigger relay won't be an issue. Do u have a model number for it?
    Casey Scott

www.theisrausa.com

Steen,

Will a 12V 40a car relay work?
    Casey Scott

www.theisrausa.com

Steen,

If i use a 12V 30/40A car relay.. Which pins do i use?
    Casey Scott

www.theisrausa.com

Hi Casey,

I am looking at a 30A/12V relay right now. It's produced by the german company Hella, and the product number is 4RA 003 510-08. It don't know which brand of cars it used for, but I really think that its a fairly standard item.

Its equipped with a neat little drawing that is telling how to connect it: 12V goes to legs 30 and 87 (through the switch the trigger is part of).
    Legs 85 and 86 are connected to White and Black wires going out to the track from the controller. Yor can solder on the terminals on the relay, or you can mount lugs on the wires. Space can be an issue, but dont be afraid of using #16 or #18 wire, as they will be very short anyway and will only add a very small resistance.

Steen

Casey I used a Ford relay. # F57B-14B192-AA. 7/8" x 1 1/32" x 9/16". It's used on Ruddock controllers. The lets seem to be numbered to a standard.
    Why do I do this to myself?

If Any one out there is looking for any slot car part or slot car related items that they can't find, try this link http://www.hobbiesplus.co.nz
    they are located in New Zealand and have just about anything your looking for. I needed a new Hudy comm lathe diamond bit and called just about every raceway in the USA looking for one and they all responded "sorry the distributors don't have any in stock and won't have any anytime soon" hobbies plus in NZ had it and at a price less than i would have paid in the USA. They even had the OUTISIGHT viper body I have been looking for forever. Check out their inventory, you won't be disappointed.