Thread: Axle recovery

Axle recovery

Ok so axles are not that cheap if you buy good ones, and will get badly rusted by flux etc when setting gear mesh if you don't make sure to clean them completely

Here is an axle I was using for testing last weekend, and I changed pinions on the motor, so soldering the motor in a couple times it got acid flux overspray. I forgot to pull it apart and clean it and the next day it was light brown!!

I cleaned the surface rust off it as best as I could but was still left with this rough surface that no way did I want to put back inside a bushing

So I decided to try to recover it

I got a block of Dialux Grey Jewellers rouge specifically for Stainless Steel

Cost me not much more than the axle

Rubbing the axle over it to get a really tiny coating of the hard product on it, I polished it by rubbing an old bushing up and down its length then buffing with a cotton bud, and then another buff in a dremel on slow pinched in a paper towel

It feel like it's made of glass now, obviously some minor pitting remains but I would have no hesitation using again, its smoother than a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by swodem; 02-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Thanks jimht
    I haven't tried dry abrasive flappy wheels before, but the polishing media above is equal to using about 8000grit
    That's why it's coming out so smoothe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent