Thread: Shut down ideas 2017

Cool Shut down ideas 2017

I did my homework searching for any active posts/threads and It looks the only one was closed. So let me start anew !

Somewhere I saw a photo of a drag strip where they used some sort of foam wedge(s) to stop cars instead of the more typical glue today or even the old parachute/pile of fabric.

We have been running some proxy drag racing now for 3 seasons. We shoot for vintage racing tires and allow current racing tires but really want to NOT use glue at the start or finish. It is just a mess to clean off the tires before another run.

We are running vintage cars/rails of the old padlock or 36D and some wild vintage modified motors.
    So stopping these things (before they punch a hole in the wall) is important.

Does anyone know what Im referring to to the foam wedge design ? I might have even seen on Face Book but Im open to ideas!
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Except for bears, Bears will kill you !

When dealing with vintage stuff most people will protect their investment at all cost. If you have a crowd that agrees on this form of stopping I would be amazed. A foam wedge will damage the bodies and mounting hardware. Any fast car will not like this foam wedge, so really what is so bad about glue? Glue is part of drag racing and its easier to clean off then trying to find another body or chassis that was damaged by wedges. Just my 2 cents and remember glue is your friend.....

Age old problem. Lets go as fast as possible, but how do you stop them without damage to something. Body mounting systems never react well to 'external forces' like solid walls or friction related devices.
    Here is what I have tried over the years:

Make as long a shutdown as the room allows. If the room is less than 100 ft long, consider and 1/8th mile or 1000 ft strip. Every track 'record' is only a local thing anyway. I did have a full 55 ft 1/4 mile on a 100 ft strip and still had a few run the whole length.
    I tried full hard wired brakes (both shutdown braids twisted together) for automatic operation. Additionally, I used magnetic braid and one standard 1/4" X 1" traction magnet on cars to draw them into the braid - otherwise some cars would bounce out of the slot.

The wedge box. I created a 'shutdown box' of divider walls at the last 4 - 8 ft of shutdown with a loose top that would 'pop-up' over each car. I used a very flexible egg crate foam on the sides and top to wedge on the cars to slow them down. I was not happy with it since many racers can barely mount their bodies let along prepare them for this type of aggressive restraint. I wonder what a directed blast of air might do like the sprayers in a car wash????

The old parachute at the end of the track we used on the Aurora Cycle and Hobby formica strip in the early 1960s....with three 12volt batteries in series for Top Fuel.....Cars needed gear guards to reduce the amount of chute caught in the gears.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

Glue is a mess and when were wanting to run "vintage"(dont think they had glue then either) so its just the "age old " issue as posted .
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Except for bears, Bears will kill you !

Good reply , thank you, any chance of the egg carton method , for curiosity ?

My 'egg crate' foam was just throw away shipping foam. Shipping peanuts in a pillowcase could work as well. The chassis mass has more mass that tries to rip away from the body. One better body mounting system that helps is the pins in the front bumper rather than just from the sides of the car. Too flimsy of front pin tubes, the bumper pins get bent. The foam pillows act like a funnel to slow the car progressively. Obviously no one funnel will protect all cars equally. The looser top panel has only light mass to hold the cars down and why they pop-up when hit..
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 04-06-2017 at 08:51 PM.

50 year pin 1959-2009

Has anyone ever tried powering the shutdown area with power separated from actual running length of the track. I would think having the shutdown under power with controllers hooked up or a system that would provide braking like a controller would work.
    Member of the original Fast Eddy Race Team

When a DC motor sits 'parked' with a reverse voltage applied, it will generate heat in the brushes and commutator and can build up enough to cause damage - I do no recommend it. In the 1960s, we did use a 3 volt reverse current in the controller braking circuit to help alnico magnet motors develop a bit of braking, but the car would try to back up if the car was parked.

Twisting the drag strip braid together to complete the 'black-red' brake circuit is common practice for normal automatic braking action which does harm only to drag cars with poor gear mesh. The shutdown area is not even wired to any other circuit anyway. Only the powered part of the track is hooked to a voltage.
    Sometimes the braking action will cause the car to jump up and out of the glue on the track and why I elected to try the magnetic braid and magnets in the brake zone - it helped, but no magic solution.
    Last edited by Ramcatlarry; 04-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.

50 year pin 1959-2009

Dan,
    I wonder, if on a long shot, if some sort of friction device would help slow down the car.

Something like a U-shaped piece of Lexan, that the front of the flag, would catch, and drag thru the slot.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Borrowing from pinewood derby: A raised center rib(s) between the wheels and outside of the flag could allow the frame to skid to a stop with the wheels off the ground.

An idea, not one I would ignore without trying it..... . ..taper it so that the car does not launch into the air.

50 year pin 1959-2009

After my scouting party, I tried my idea on the King with a fast, Retro Hawk powered, rental car, and it work real well.

The guide catches the U shape, and drags it thru the slot, without deslotting the car.

I started with a short piece, on low power(6.5V), to test if it would catch it.

It was a remnant from a wing car spoiler, .005" or .007", thick.

It slowed, and then stopped the car abruptly, at the end.

I then progressed to 14.3V, with a much longer, and thicker pc. of plastic.

I used a folded over pc. of Slick 7 bullet proofing, with the sticky side out.

It was, of course, narrowed down to fit all the way down into the slot.

Once I got some of the stickiness reduced, and added a few bends, where the open side would hug the outside part of the slot, it worked great.

Below are a couple pics of it, both out, and in, the slot (with the pic taken on my flat track, instead of the King).

20170409_173924-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swiss; 04-10-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Good idea Mike!
    A variation?...I tried using Velcro in the slot, (just the fuzzy side).
    Works OK but all I have is the thicker Industrial strength stuff, the thinner might be better.
    "I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." -- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]