Thread: Tell me about 1/24 scale

Tell me about 1/24 scale

Long story short, I just discovered a slot car shop in my area. Its only open a few days a week so I'm taking to the internet to answer questions.

This shop does 1/24 and 1/25. The internet seems to like 1/32 the most. What are the differences in scale?

The bodies they have in the shop are "soft". I assume this is for speed? What is the advantage of hard bodies?

If I wanted to find a specific make/model where would I start?

Do you want to run laps or race? Most wood tracks can run both 1/24 or 1/32. Voltage should be 12V to 14V DC. Do you know the classes they run? Hard body's are usually plastic models where the soft body's are lexan, thinner, lighter, faster.
    Hard to help with so little info.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallbasher View Post
    Do you want to run laps or race? Most wood tracks can run both 1/24 or 1/32. Voltage should be 12V to 14V DC. Do you know the classes they run? Hard body's are usually plastic models where the soft body's are lexan, thinner, lighter, faster.
    Hard to help with so little info.
    I watched a race when I was there. I dont know what classes they run off hand

Many slot car racers either choose to build or just collect model cars. Much like die cast cars, injection molded 'hardbody' cars can have more detail, realism and trim variation of the real cars. The soft body cars will have a lower center of gravity and most can adapt different body styles to fit the same running chassis. Organized racing always has parameter rules to chassis design, tire size, body style and specific motors and many more details. Run for fun only has "have fun" as a rule.

The scale is a size differential from HO, 1/43, 1/32, and 1/24-1/25 scales of 1/1 full size machines.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

The gentleman is from Mississippi and this turned up, https://www.facebook.com/charliesgaragellc/

Race flyers are calling for JK lmp cars and wing cars with Hawk 7 motors.

For the gentleman making the request, you will find wing cars faster and easier to drive because of the wings on them. But they are more expensive because of the cost of the chassis. The LMP cars require a lot more driving and are way more popular than the wing cars in most area's.

Talk to the track owner about what's happening and hang around to watch a couple of each race to see what interests you. During practice for the races, hang out on the other side of the track and when they crash, pick the car up and they will let you know what lane the car should go on. and that will make you a couple of friends. You will find your new friends willing to talk to you and show you what the are doing and explain a few more things to. Racers are generally a very friendly and helpful bunch.
    Bill Taylor
    HiSpeed Products
    www.hispeedproducts.com

I would recommend renting a car from the shop and trying your hand at racing. If he has the style cars he races by class, then drive each one so you can begin to get a feel for what you want to race. First time out of the gate, buy a car sold ready to race. As you eventually make repairs, some of the guys around the track will help you learn how to make adjustments and work on your car. Once you are confident in your racing, take the leap into putting your own car together to suit your driving and racing plan. Don't go big or expensive to start with. If you wreck before you love the sport you might get discouraged. Wreck the rental car until you get a handle on driving.