Thread: What do you need to start?

What do you need to start?

A shop opened in my area and they are running 1/24 scale. Will I need a different controller from slot racing? What else do I need?

if I wanted to find a specific make/model, where would I look? (Late 60s Chevelle)

Your store operator should be able to understand if your old parts are usable on the new track. Sometimes they just want you to junk the old and sell you the new to pay their rent.Some vintage stuff is rather valuable. The 1960s vintage slot cars and controllers should work if cleaned and checked over for proper operation. Many tracks in the early days were wired differently than current standards and could harm older cars if not checked out. Most modern cars will overload older controllers for instance. Slotcars can teach a lot about electronics and simple electrical science information. Do you know Ohms Law? How to use an ohm meter? A soldering iron? Common tools include Phillips and straight screwdrivers and allen wrenches, and various pliers.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

Are you looking for a push button drag controller let me know as I make them for $30.00 shipped

Most tracks have house controllers on the drag track which are free to all, but not recommended for high powered motors. You could use a standard Parma controller with a 1 ohm resistor, and not use the brake wire... however this is what most tracks use for a house controller. the Koford drag controller is a much better option, particularly when purchased with a blast relay. MSRP is about $90.
    Ben Kernan
    Formerly of SARN

As to bodys, go to some place that sells plastic models, if the track does not have what you want... Hobby Lobby is a good place to start. You also could try my friend Ernie at Fast Trax, in TroutmanNC; they are on FaceBook and have a GREAT selection of both models & resin bodys.
    Ben Kernan
    Formerly of SARN