Thread: Guide flag blade length

Guide flag blade length

Has anyone raced with a shortened length guide flag blade?

I know that in the early days of slot car racing, many cars used a simple "pin" type guide.

Would a shorter blade length reduce drag?

I am intending to experiment with a guide flag with a shortened blade, but before doing so, thought I would ask if anyone else has played around with the concept. After all, I don't want reinvent the wheel
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Back in the deep dark days of 1/32 scale slot racing in NZ (in the 1970's under NISCA rules), there was a rule that limited the distance from the front axle to the front of the guide blade to 1 1/8". Almost all cars had some of the flag trimmed off the front of the blade in order to comply with the rule. If the car had a particularly long guide lead relative to the front axle, then quite a lot (5mm or more) might need to be trimmed off.

I don't recall it causing any performance problem. However, I do recall that it increased the risk of the braids shorting against one another, particularly if they got messed up in a crash.

I will be interested to see if you are able to find any performance advantage. With the lower powered classes (particularly hard-body model cars) the drag from the guide and braids is a significant consideration.

In any case, make sure your bite bar is straight. That's if you know what a bite bar is. I think it's a Spanish thing where they serve food with the drinks. Whatever, if it's not straight, then the bite-bar-nazi's will get you.
    Acme Slot Cars - Vorsprung durch slotnik

acmeslotcars.com

Point taken

The guide flag post is the pivot point where the friction is the greatest, the same as a guide pin. The flag helps separate the braids to reduce shorts. Current convention has had the post at the back of the flag, and many early flags had the post at the front, making a longer lead.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center