Thread: Oval track race formats?

Oval track race formats?

Hello, we run on a 60' 8 lane bullring oval. We normally run round robin lap races, from 50 to 75 laps per lane. We are looking for ideas on other types of formats to run, any ideas out there? Thank you..👍

All modern lap counting systems work on the "equal race" format where everyone runs all lanes for the same amount of time, mostly 2 to 5 minutes per lane with the winner making the most total laps across the track. Ovals especially are notorious for irregular lap totals per lane and this method makes a more fair race result. Before about 1988, no lap counter was computer based that could generate equal timed heats, but many tracks utilized darkroom timers to make heats within one second equality. In the 1960s, most tracks used the 'decade counter' that could shut power off after the first car reached ten laps or another defined number.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

Downriver runs stints to total laps. Most of us like that format for the oval track. I wish we could run it to total increments of what the lap total should be up to that stint. If each stint is 75 laps the total for highest laps run should be 75, 150, 225. 300............... No program does that to my knowledge.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg

LapMaster does what you want.
    In race setup you can chose "Race no of laps (Total laps)". That does exactly this. (end each stint when the leader reaches stint-number*75)
    "Race no of laps (first)" would terminate each stint whenever someone reaced the target (75 in a stint) meaning that the race would propably end without anyone reaching 75*8 laps.
    "Race no of laps (all)" would require all to reach 75*8 and then add the time for each driver to do it together. Winner being the one with the least time spend.

A fun variant is racing "Speedway" and "Race no of laps (first)" and use "Crash and Burn" rules.
    You still rotate 8 stints (or round robin if you wish). But you get point for finishing first in the stint, a little less for second etc. Even if you crash you get a few point unless you are the first to crash.
    Winner is the one with most points.

Funny enough no matter the rules, the same guys always win !
    Best regards,
    Carsten Groennemann.

Thank you for the info. We currently run the first to "xx" amount of laps wins that heat or lane and the guy who has the highest lap count overall wins the night. I was looking for ideas such as qualifying, heat races main events. More like a normal saturday night short track program. Thanks.

Since the oval track has no equal length or difficulty lanes, TIME is the only equalizer in slot racing. Real tracks are closer to RC racing and different than slot tracks.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

We have super close racing as far as lap counts our last race the winner won by one lap after 400 laps of racing. The top 3 were seperated by 8 laps. The lap times of each lane are all within a 1/10 of a second across all 8 lanes. We are just looking to switch things up with the formats using a lap count race. I thought there would be a format that has been run on an oval before.

I have to say if I were to ever open a commercial raceway I would go with LapMaster. I keep paying the idiot tax but have not won big yet.
    "Ever onward."

Nelson Swanberg