Thread: Body pins vs clips why don't they line up?

Body pins vs clips why don't they line up?

I recently used body clips for the first time in 20 years. I've been using body pins. My grief is this. I was going to run the Mossetti chassis with aluminum pans but clip holes on the pans are so big I didn't think I would get an accurate mount using them. So I used the steel pans were I had already soldered pin tubes. The tubes were centered in the body mounting holes so I should have gotten a very accurate mount using Mike Swiss's body pinning block system. The holes on both pans are 64cm center to center so there should have been no problem. I was wrong. The holes were off by 1cm and when I mounted a body and the clips were fully engaged the body was a wavy mess on the sides. I had to go back through all the bodies and reset the holes for clips. This becomes a real hassle on race day I guess it's because of the clip geometry on the ends that's all I can figure. Anybody have another reason?
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Sure you have your metrics right? 1cm is a little more than 3/8". My guess is you mean 1mm (~3/64").
    Guillermo Suar

Fred,
    All my Champion T-Flex, and various JK C7 and C21 rental cars, use clips, along with most of the C7 "spec" chassis, we use for Wednesday night GTP racing, so I am quite aware of the pain, it is, to clip a body, wrinkle-free.

What seems to work best for me is to poke the front holes, first, and install the clips, with the "permanent" end in both of the front holes.

Then, I pull each clip, towards the back, in the closest appoxomation of their final resting spot.

Then I poke one back hole, finish installing the clip, and then do the last one.

I've never thought that much about it, until now, but what I think is that to get the clip to hold the body well, it's "snapping" into place.

So, instead of centering them, the holes for the clips should be at the back of the front hole, and the front of the back hole.

Make sense?

How are my pinning blocks, working for you, when using pins, and pin tubes?
    Last edited by swiss; 10-03-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    "Get Yourself Retrofied"
    Chicagoland Raceway
    17B West Ogden Ave.
    Westmont,Il. 60559
    Phone-708-203-8003
    mikeswiss86@hotmail.com

Check out Chicagoland Raceway on facebook.

Mike, the pinning blocks are working fine. I'll give your idea a go. I just didn't give it a second thought that the with the mounts in the identical place on both pans, there would be a problem. I'm now in the process of setting all the bodies up for pins and clips, ahead of race day. Your correct in that the body will be better retained if the clip "snaps" into place.

Mito57 yes I believe you are correct that it's just 1mm but it has a big effect on the sides of the body.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.