Thread: Question about the old Speedshop controllers.

Question about the old Speedshop controllers.

I have a Speedshop controller where the wire wound resistor has some damage at the top speed end. Does anyone have a spare resistor, were these ever available as a replacement part? Any advice for me to get this repaired? Thanks!
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

Dennis-

I believe all of the Speedshop controllers were handbuilt by Alex Danlchk. Modified DR40's
    I doubt that there are any spares unless Alex still has them in his possession.
    Paul Kassens would likely know for certain.

The "resistor" on that controller is the insides of a wire would sensitivity pot. Yes, cut one apart, flatten and straighten it then it can be massaged into an arc and somehow glued in place. If I remember right & you go through the controller thread there was a thread about this & a part of the wire resistor needs to be cut to isolate brakes and full power contact but not 100% on that.
    Why do I do this to myself?

You need a wire at the end to make the circuit. It should be attached to one of the board leads. I get these controllers for repair on the odd occasion.

John Andersen

Thanks for the advice! I managed to repair the resistor myself by shortening the trigger stroke on the controller and removing the part of the resistor that was damaged. It is a little more sensitive now, but not so that I can't adjust it to drive with.

It's still super smooth and has a great feel to it.
    Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
    Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics