Thread: Info on Bent Axles

Info on Bent Axles

How do tell if your axle is bent
    sirlard1954

Roll it on a piece of flat glass
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

I check them against light on my Mauser which is dead straight. A dial indicator is more professional.
    zipper

To expand on Zippity's use of glass. slightly incline the glass when you roll. Any slight bend in the axle will make a distinct noise as it rolls. As zipper says, a dial indicator with "vee" blocks looks more professional.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Don't mistake a bent axle for a bent rim or a rim/axle combo that has a sloppy fit. I have come across axles that had a diameter that was too small and rims that had bores too large. The effect was like a bent axle and they would chatter. You want a nice snug fit between the axle and rim. Also keep in mind that not all rims are created equal some have a very generous run out. I check all the tires I buy using a known straight axle in an old chassis I installed bearings in, it works really good for me and allows me the convenience of pairing up the rims with the least amount of run out for racing and the rims with the most run out for practice.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

If it is still on the car and the car bounces on its own, then a wheel or axle is bent. If a drill blank is not used for a rear axle, it is bent. M2 drill blanks flex better than M7 - they break instead of bend.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center