Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7th Annual Gaithersburg 1100, May 19, 2018, SpeedZone Slot Car Raceway, Mt. Holly, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    By the way don't the 1:1 racing Indy 500 and World 600, that our slot car racing is suppose to represent, use BLTs?
    Freddie,

Since 1939, the Indy 500 qualifying is the total speed over four laps, not the single best lap.

You're correct about the World 600.

Thanks, Brassy for the input. You are correct about Indy. However, NASCAR has changed their qualifying for certain tracks.

On some tracks they still do fastest lap, but on others they have instituted a heat format. For these tracks where they run heats, NASCAR runs 2-3 heats and the fastest "qualifiers" in each heat move into the next heat. The fastest "qualifier" in the final heat wins the Pole Position. To win the Pole you don't have to be the fastest in the first/second heat, just the fastest in the last...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    Sounds good to me. Laps and sections should only be used in flat track scale racing. By the way don't the 1:1 racing Indy 500 and World 600, that our slot car racing is suppose to represent, use BLTs? Just trying to lean toward some sort of realism.

I have two more little ditties for you. You do realize that be allowing blueprinted motors and tied comms. that it opens up a whole new world of motors. The Hawk arm has the same turns and wire size as the PSFK arm with a tied comm. and 20 degrees of timing instead of the 15 in a PSFK. The Alpha arms are also available, are they legal. I'm just trying to get on a more even playing field then I was last year. Will there be pre-race body off chassis inspections? Last years photos revealed a lot.
    Fred and All,

Always great to read your thoughts.

Tony and I are discussing qualifying, but we have not reached a final decision. Whether we do 30 second Laps and Section or 30 second Qualifying, it will take the same amount of time on the track to position cars and drivers.

As for motors, I'm not aware of any armature issues in the previous races we have run. Racers are required to run FK armatures and not replace them with any other armature. During Tech, if Tony and I feel that an arm is questionable, we will ask the racer to replace that motor with one we feel meets the FK standards. In the past you have expressed concern about chassis reinforcing. There is a 3" wire limit for reinforcing any chassis. Tony and I will look at the cars after the race to determine if the 3" limit was exceeded...

Otherwise, Tony and I hope to see everyone at SpeedZone for the race on 19 May...

Wire is for reinforcing not making j hooks or anything else on pans for bite bar control. Nascar does do three heats first heat they keep the fastest 20 after the second I believe they eliminate 10 then the final ten run for the pole each heat is a time allotment you can run as many laps as you want but only the fastest one counts. Most teams try to run the fastest lap on the first lap saves on tires for final round and they have to start the race on the tires they qualified on.

Gentlemen (and Ladies),

As you know this will be the 7th Gaithersburg 1100 Billy and I have organized. Some-days, some-days I wish some of you guys were on the organizing side of this event. (Well, actually I'm not sure if I really mean what I just said ).

We're looking forward to seeing everyone on the 19th and having some fun at Speedzone Raceway.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

You guys are absolutely right about the Indy qualifying. Goes to show you how much attention I pay to the qualifying, I usually only watch the race. This year though Barbara and I will not be making the race. While Barb and I were attending our granddaughters track meet and while singing the National Anthem, Barb fainted and hit her head on a railing. She spent two days in the hospital and was treated for a concussion. She will be under concussion protocol until the doctor says she's good to go. Hope to see everyone at the FNRS in Staunton, Va. this August. Have a great time racing guys and good luck to everyone.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Come on Tony what do you mean!!! LoL. Fred hopefully your wife will be doing better soon!!

Fred, please tell Barb that I hope she feels better soon. This will be the first race you and Barb have missed. It won’t be the same without you 2 being there. Hope to see you both next year...

Lol .. see you soon Greg.

Tony
    OWH Slotographer

Thank you guys for your sincere concern. Barb is doing better making good progress and we hope to be there next year. Hope to see you guys soon.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Does anyone know the exact braid depth?

I read on SB that it was .035...

If they didn't change the braid from when it was at Chick's I have it at .030 in my notebook.

Fred, Let’s split the difference, say 32.5... LOL...

That's fine with me but since I won't be there you'll have to split the difference with someone else. LOL Maybe see you at the FNRS at Staunton???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast