Thread: Track Painting Question

Track Painting Question

Hello everyone,
    Soon I will be re-painting my mdf wood slot car track. I am considering painting it with an oil based polyeurathane paint and I am wondering if copper foil tape sticks ok to it? I read that it has problems sticking to epoxy paint and so I'm wondering if it also might have a problem with the kind of paint I am considering. Thanks for any information any of you might provide.

I have not noticed any 'sticky' problems with any CURED glossy paint and copper tape. Many of our 1/32 club tracks use a flat chalkboard paint and have no issues either.
    Most current track builders use the 'water based' epoxy floor enamels. A popular one is from Grainger Industrial Supply (and others) #5400. It dries in much less time than the oil based and cleanup is MUCH easier. Mix it up and use a short nap roller. The mixed 'batch' sets up in about an hour, so you need to 'get 'er done'.....

If you want a smoother satin finish, just go over it after it is cured with the vibrator sander with fine grain paper or scotchbrite.

Just never tug on the copper as you lay it, the wood base grows with humidity and copper does not.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

Hi Ramcatlarry, Thank you for your response! I will check into the water based epoxy paint you recommend from Granger. Are you saying that copper foil tape adheres well to it? Perhaps it is the oil or solvent based epoxy paint that I read about that was problematic for copper foil tape.

Sincerely,
    MLC1964

Not sure about the 'OIL BASE' a problem as much as not letting the paint dry and cure before adding the tape...or not allowing the tape to be 'relaxed' when applied. If you stretch the copper when applying it, there will be no stretch in it when the change of humidity makes the wood base grow or shrink with humidity. I like to keep a dehumidifier running in the track area. Copper BRAID does show this tendency as well if it is applied to tightly even though the nature of the braid allows more growth than solid copper.

Both tape and braid need to be rolled or burnished down after initial application to improve the adhesion. A hard wood or rubber wheel works fine for this.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center

A wallpaper seam roller would be one tool that could be used.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.