Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: which Controllers are banned?

Discussion is over. Let it go...….Let it go!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkQk_bWXpA

Quote Originally Posted by ckdaboer View Post
    Then you are not comfortable with a cost limit or RULE on the cost of a chassis or motor or tires?

Hmmmmm

In the lower classes like a womp, flexi or retro class that uses a Hawk 7 or Falcon motor, we keep the cost of the parts down to create more customers and racers.

mostly all groups or raceways use a cost basis as part of the RULES for competition. Those rules include a PRICE MAXIMUM for certain classes in regards to setups, armatures, chassis and so forth.

Most organizations and raceways prefer that you buy the stuff from the raceway via a certified distributor like Eagle or REH ........

So what is the issue with setting price limit on controllers for the LOWER classes like Flexi, comps, FCRS, retro or vintage.....????
    You clearly have never actually operated a sanction before.

Cost controls are a BYPRODUCT of component controls, either by a responsible sanctioning body only approving certain components for use (as in USRA, ISRA, Ohio Challenge Cup, FNRS, AWRA, etc) OR by tightly controlling the materials used and the manner in which they're constructed (IRRA, RETRO, SCRRA).

One only has to look at the controversy regarding whether or not certain components truly conformed to the "cost caps" in Box 12 to see that component price caps DO NOT WORK. It is ALWAYS better to either homologate individual components (such as, in your case, limiting a list of allowed production controllers) OR to disallow certain pieces of equipment (as I would recommend to you, Traction Control and MOSFET) so that when the high end features work their way down to the mid-range price points, you don't have yet another arms race.

It's the difference between an intelligent decision and just kicking the inevitable can down the road.

And I'll restate my questions to you from Slotblog since that thread was locked...

How do you enforce a controller MSRP limit in terms of the availability of "build it yourself" electronic controller modules such as those offered by DiFalco?

How do you enforce a controller MSRP limit when it comes to racers who use out-of-production controllers such as Omni-Cidex or Mistress Heather?

How do you enforce a controller MSRP limit when I swap my Difalco brake pot for the Ruddock click-pot because I like its action better?

In short, do you know enough about electronic controllers to actually effectively enforce this idiotic legislation?

It is NOT idiotic... thank you for your shortsighted and uni=formed response.

How do you enforce the monetary restriction on the motors, chassis and so forth?
    CK DaBoer

Knocked you out of the slot!

Why is this still going on? This dude will never accept anything other than his own agenda, whatever that happens to be... If you don't want to use the high end controllers, don't. Simple..

Bernie Schatz

Quote Originally Posted by ckdaboer View Post
    It is NOT idiotic... thank you for your shortsighted and uni=formed response.

How do you enforce the monetary restriction on the motors, chassis and so forth?
    You are joking, right? Or are you just not reading because I SAID how this is done. I'll even repeat it for you.

Cost controls are a BYPRODUCT of component controls, either by a responsible sanctioning body only approving certain components for use (as in USRA, ISRA, Ohio Challenge Cup, FNRS, AWRA, etc) OR by tightly controlling the materials used and the manner in which they're constructed (IRRA, RETRO, SCRRA).

This is also critical because it allows for necessary price adjustments over the sales life of a particular component as material costs and inflation take their toll. As a case in point, if an enforced Flexi chassis price cap had been in place at the time of the Champion TurboFlex's introduction it would have prevented near any other Flexi chassis from entering the field to this day which would have left series up the creek given Champion's sale to Parma and Parma's subsequent withdrawal from the slot car market.

This guy does not race......

IBTL.....
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

Archie King
    2018 HillBilly Box World Record Holder 1.907
    2016 HillBilly BoxStock Champion
    2014 TSRA Series Group 7 Champion

Team KOFORD
    http://www.koford.com/slot/

Really?

Adjustments are made each year on the cost factors.

So that argument is moot. No one said you could not adjust the cost, did they? (Maybe someone other than me).......

We set the limit based on the cost of the electronic controller like a Difalco or a Rudduck based on their retail cost to the people who count. The racers.....

If someone at some track runs a higher class or needs something extra and wishes to use those controllers. Go for it man....

Just not in the lower classes as I stated prior will we allow them. OUR choice..... You have yours....

Good racing to all.....
    CK DaBoer

OK...Got my lampblack ink, black candle, four thieves vinegar, my war water, some zip-lock bags, plastic gloves, cotton balls, small trash bag, wormwood essential oil, and some black ribbon. I'm gonna try this...Ö

Harm to others and harm to me,
    You should have stopped and let us be.
    You harm by night, you harm by day,
    Itís time for you to Go Away!

Let's see if it works.

Sam, ignore works too.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill from NH View Post
    Sam, ignore works too.

Off short piers!!!
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

Archie King
    2018 HillBilly Box World Record Holder 1.907
    2016 HillBilly BoxStock Champion
    2014 TSRA Series Group 7 Champion

Team KOFORD
    http://www.koford.com/slot/

Cox thumb controllers are on ebay for $15. Why does anyone need a $20 controller?
    Why do I do this to myself?

yeah but, that's the 15 ohm ..... the variable ohm switch one is more .... I actually prefer the BZ

My first controller in 1967 was an MRC. I forget it's color (maybe green?) & resistor ohmage. I ran a Russkit 23 powered car with it.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

CK,

Please read Steen's post with a more open mind. He is trying to answer exactly your question, as did Wallbasher above, who gave you a long list of features that the trick controllers have.

I have two of the fancier controllers, a Czech Pro-2 and one of Steen's. As noted in addition to those features, both will happily run a 1/32 F1 for hours on a complex flat track. This is something that the $300 class controllers (which I love and have supported for 20 years now) will not do (they overheat).

The high costs have mostly to do with the low production runs for these complex and very reliable devices, I think.

Thank you for listening!

Greg

NO ONE said not use or ban them in appropriate classes....

We DO NOT run 1/32nd F-1 that needs that type of controller....

It is our choice to limit their usage on LOWER motor class 1/24 scale Flexi, Retro, vintage, HO and Scalextric type of 1/32nd scale racing that use S can, F cans or similar motors.

The necessity is Not there. Apparently that was lost on some who responded and got their mantees all knotted......

This is a hobby and should be fun.....
    CK DaBoer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234