Thread: Choke feet of wire how to tell the amount of choke used

Choke feet of wire how to tell the amount of choke used

So on a choke controller with wire wrapped around a tube and wires going to the choke wires and the relays , my question is that one foot of wire wrapped around the choke tube is one foot of choke or do the relays make it more or less , so if I want to change the choke settings on the knob on the controller do I measure one foot of wire , two feet of wire and so on , so if it is a ten foot limit setting will there be ten feet total of wire wrapped around the choke wire tube , sorry hard to explain , but even with relays a foot of wire is a foot of choke right? so if I mark off four feet of wire and solder the wire there that would be four feet of choke , thanks for any info

The WIRE SIZE must be considered as well. A foot of 14 ga choke is much different than 18 gauge.

Flat track chokes will use a smaller wire than a wing car on a banked track.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

it would be 18 gauge wire , wing car banked king tracks , thanks

My trusty oldtimer, 1 mm continuous wire (equivalent to 18 ga) with outputs every 2 ft and some jumper wires added for a too long original concept. High grade rotary switch and all joints soldered with high temp solder. Cooler never in use as it's really not needed. All important parts aluminum. 0-2-4-6 etc to 25ft. Missing 1 ft setting is a fault.
    Choke1.jpg
    zipper

Do some reading on the controller forum and search chokes. There is some excellent information on the site. Some scale, some wing. Save them and print them out and put them in your notebook. There is even some designs and instructions for a choke build.
    Lots of opinions and thoughts but it don't have to be wound around a tube or lead wire or or have insulation or use magnets or, or, or...... some is just stuffed in a box. Cooling to me is a factor because as temp changes so does resistance and that is the whole point of the choke.
    Why do I do this to myself?

Thanks for the info on the chokes , will do a search