Thread: European Track Design

European Track Design

While I'm waiting to restart my own track, I'm wandering through threads and looking at races overseas. I've always recognized that overseas designs aren't like what we run here. I don't notice King tracks for example. I'm sure they are there and don't want to debate whether they exist in Europe, but the championships and series I'm looking at are not on the same named tracks I am shopping through here. Anaconda for example. I have seen several of that design but if I wanted to buy one here, I wouldn't see it appear in the Tracks for Sale section. So that makes me wonder....since slot car racing seems to have continued to evolve in Europe and remains a little more popular than here, could it be that we lack new track design with only occasional exceptions? Do our racers only want to race on familiar tracks and have a resistance to competing on anything they aren't used to? Or, have we just really settled on designs that we believe are best and just don't spend them money experimenting?
    Just thoughts as I sit with my track stored and dream of 50,000 sq ft racing facilities and all the track I want to put there. No, I can't get 50,000 ft. Dreaming is the operative word! But I am liking some of those European looking tracks. They like them flat too I notice.

Huh ...the fastest King in the World is in Czech Republic, Plzen. About all World Records for Wing cars have been driven there. But we have just three Kings in Europe that are actively used for European Championhips, the others are older and quite slow.
    zipper

I realize that there are tracks like we have in the US but we don't have many of the tracks I'm seeing online in use here.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperi View Post
    Huh ...the fastest King in the World is in Czech Republic, Plzen. About all World Records for Wing cars have been driven there. But we have just three Kings in Europe that are actively used for European Championships, the others are older and quite slow.
    Do you have a link to the King you spoke of?

Michael, over the last 30 years I've seen world records on several different King tracks. At present the Gerding King is the most popular for setting world records and I'm guessing has the most in all classes. I've raced on a couple of them and while their all a little different they all have one thing in common, wide open racing. Years ago several different track makers were out there and while the design was the same they were vastly different. Tunkel, Nillsson, and Dadds to name a few. I had a Tunkel track in my raceway and it was an excellent track. At the time probably the fastest on the east coast but by todays standards it would be considered a drivers track. The Anaconda, Jersey Devil and MTT are all flat technical tracks all of which I have raced on. While these types of tracks are big in Europe, just check out the size of ISRA Championships overseas, they seem to be to technical for most racers here in the states. I recently attended the Flexi Flats in Concord N.C. and we had a great field of racers but nothing like Europe. I would say the most popular track in the US is a oval or tri-oval. It usually takes up less floor space than the other tracks, it's the easiest to race on and you still get the feeling of being in competition. The only advice I would give you is this. You mentioned to me where you planned on putting up your raceway. There are a lot of racers within 75 miles of that location who would love to have a good King track close by and by most travelling racers standards anything up to 1-1 1/2 hours is close by. Just thought you'd like to know. Oh and by the way the Anaconda was recently up for auction but I don't know if it was sold. Good luck with your raceway. I will be by to check it out when your up and running.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Tracks for commercial raceways have NOT been mass produced 'cookie cutter' designs since the 1960s. While some designs get replicated, every track builder adds their own unique element in the design of construction or something. The Raceway Owner is responsible to make the track 'furniture' drive best by track wiring, timing system, room lighting and ambiance, and above all driving surface maintenance.

One of the hallmarks of the ISRA program is that they require different track designs for each World Championship within the parameters of length, flatness, and other standards. Most flat tracks in the USA are very limited in that there are few duplicates of any one design. Most raceway owners rarely invest in new tracks when the price of a used track is so much cheaper. Everyone wants a corvette for chevette prices.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

60 year pin 1959-2019
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2019 member
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 &
    1/32 - Great Lakes Slot Car Club
    retired raceway owner 1992-2007
    Omni/Cidex service center