Thread: Matching the track to the car or car to the track

Matching the track to the car or car to the track

I frequently read comments about what track works best for a particular car. For example, someone I just read was lamenting that running F1 on a hillclimb was just a wreck fest. They were looking for something like a Kingleman. So I started thinking...what cars fit what tracks? What do you think? All are assuming 4' chassis unless stated as 4 1/2"

Track choices are Bowtie, Kingleman, King, Engleman, Windsor, American Orange, Tri-oval, Flat, HIllclimb/Corner Climb, Aristocrat

NASCAR

WING

GTP

LMP

DIRT LATE

F1

Hardbody

Michael, are these all 4" & 4.5" flexi classes you might plan to run? If they are, you can run any of them on whatever track(s) you have available. just don't over-power the cars. Some track layouts may be more difficult to run on well, but the skills develop with practice.
    I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill from NH View Post
    Michael, are these all 4" & 4.5" flexi classes you might plan to run? If they are, you can run any of them on whatever track(s) you have available. just don't over-power the cars. Some track layouts may be more difficult to run on well, but the skills develop with practice.
    Noooo.... I wouldn't even try to run all those classes. No one has pockets deep enough for that. I am just interested in matching cars and tracks because it is frequently stated that "this or the other track" is best for wing or is bad for retro or whatever. This was just blog convo, not advice this time. Although I need a lot of that all the time!

The only thing you couldn't in your list using a 4" flexi chassis is F1 & some hardbodies. All you would have to do is change the body every so often, leave the chassis, tires, & motors alone, reuse them. And you could add pickup trucks & wedge bodies to your list if you wanted. I started commercial racing in 1967. I've never heard anyone wanting to match up certain car types with a particular track layout. If you think that's something you might want to do, I'd say get your local racers together & ask for their opinions.

We alwasy built & ran whatever the track owner decided was going to be run in his shop.

I'm not trying to match it up in the real world. This is purely a blog conversation born in an observation that folks with certain cars running at different speeds like certain tracks. Wing cars have preferences. Hard body guys have preferences. WOMP have some preferences. The tracks I have are the tracks I have so if you want to race whatever you have, then you have to pick from the inventory. But I'm always curious about where some of these comments come from. Speed needs for the wing car. So straight runs and swoopy turns. Just learning perspectives is all. I'm curious.

Those comments must be made by people not on here, if they're on anywhere.. I don't see this as a big discussion. I don't necessarily think any given class of car is going to be more popular on a particular track layout. At least, I haven't seen it happen. I know some may like this body, but not that. For instance GTP cars, but not NASCAR. I had a friend like that, but he based his preference on car look, not what particular track we were racing on. I have seen guys shy away from oval & tri-ovals because they weren't good at it. They weren't good at it because they never caught on it took a different mindset to race successfully on them than road racing. They weren't willing to put time in practicing either. In my younger days, i raced open class wing cars a lot. Yes, much of my racing was on a king track, but I also raced wings on an Engleman, Orange, Black, & whatever else track was available. I wouldn't call myself a good wing car racer, but I had fun doing it. I won a few races, but I enjoyed the building more. My practice track for the out-of-state king was a local Sovereign (220' Purple Mile). That thing was almost too big to race on. i've done some "Run what ya Brung" racing too. that can be a lot of fun too.

I would love to hear about racing on the Sovereign. I haven't actually heard anyone talking about racing on that track.

That was 45-50 years ago, I don't still have lots of detail. Give me a couple days & I'll jot down some thoughts.

From 1970-75, Modelville Hobby, Framingham, MA was my home raceway. They had 3 American tracks with the wood paneling sides, rather than colored Formica. A Sovereign (Purple Mile). Monarch (Orange) & a Windsor (for rentals). Keep in mind this was the days of full glue. My general thought is that this was too big a track to race on. I say this because after walking around that track a few times to get a de-slotted car in one of the fingers or under the bridge, it wasn't fun, but got tiring fast. In a race, you needed two helpers besides yourself. One used a rag & lighter fluid to clean glue of the braid, one to apply more glue in areas that needed it, while I maintained the car, oiled it, & changed braid when necessary. When I was at the track practicing by myself, i would buy 15 min. time & tell Mary, the trackowner's mother, to hold my time. That was because it took me 7 or 8 min. just to glue my lane. That was commonly done, i wasn't the only one doing it. I don't recall winning much of anything on that track, the Boston area had a lot of very good slot racers back then. Ken Stevens, who currently races retro out of Houston, also raced at Modelville. He used to have me try out some of latest chassis that he built. A number of them went back home in a paper bag, but there was one car with a Thorp 23. This thing was the most powerfully slot car i've ever driven. I doubt I could have driven it well in a race. I might add that the Sovereign had a couple D7 or D8 batteries & a charger, so it had plenty of amps. When chassis were changing from straight rail anglewinders to ISOs & tri-pods, a group of us started a local wing car club. It never fully materialized, but we had a couple practices. Another friend, whose name I forget, built his first chassis, a straight rail drop arm design. That thing didn't look pretty, but it handled better on the Sovereign that anything I had built. He had built it using 60/40 solder, so I made sure to try it on a middle track lane so i wouldn't hit anything. That was one sweet handling slot car. During the winter of 1973, I had a part time job at the raceway Fri nights & the weekend. I race directed many of their weekly races then. The lap counter was electro-mechanical & on a wheeled cart that could be plugged in both the Sovereign & Monarch tracks. No races were held on the Windsor or a later-added Aurora tub track.

Used to go there as well as my two home tracks in Connecticut, I used to travel to Nutley in Jersey, Buzzy's in NYC and Ofcourse Sheetz family raceway in Groton and C&C in Coventry Southeastern Connecticut.... It was fun being 16 driving the car and racing with people from Cobra and other racing teams....

I forgot....One track was in New Haven, Bobby's Hobbies and the other the other which had a figure 8 with NO overpass. You ran at your own risk that was in Meridan Connecticut....
    Last edited by ckdaboer; 04-04-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    CK DaBoer

Knocked you out of the slot!

The CT tracks I went to were C&C, East Hartford, & Forestville. I also went to tracks in Taunton, MA. Hampton Beach, NH, & Bennetts Raceway in Westbrook, ME.

Quote Originally Posted by ckdaboer View Post
    Used to go there as well as my two home tracks in Connecticut, I used to travel to Nutley in Jersey, Buzzy's in NYC and Ofcourse Sheetz family raceway in Groton and C&C in Coventry Southeastern Connecticut.... It was fun being 16 driving the car and racing with people from Cobra and other racing teams....

I forgot....One track was in New Haven, Bobby's Hobbies and the other the other which had a figure 8 with NO overpass. You ran at your own risk that was in Meridan Connecticut....
    There is a figure 8 for sale now. I looked at it and can see the attraction for the reckless youth.