Thread: What Do You See......

What Do You See......

Without thinking deeply, what exactly do you see as the draw to slot car racing? When someone sees it for the first time, what will make them look closer?

Craftsmanship? Sees an opportunity to build something?
    Speed?
    Look of the car?
    Challenge of winning?
    Always fantasized of racing?
    Like playing with toys?
    Grandpa used to take you?

When I walked by the storefront window and saw my first slot car track as an adult, I first saw the cars. I remember the car but not the track. I remember one guy standing there but not the store. The car was a NASCAR styled car and was zipping around the track. I didn't know there were choices of chassis or motors. I saw a car, a hardbody like I built as a kid making models, moving on it's own. And I was hooked...right then. No further discussion, no recruiting. I googled and have learned everything I know from youtube, google, slot blogs like this and others, and conversation. Usually in the form of a good scolding for being wrong headed about something. But that first contact is what brought me to this point. Why are you on this blog and talking about Slot Cars?

So what was the hook for you?
    Last edited by Michael.cannonj; 05-01-2020 at 12:04 PM.

I had my track in the early 90s and the first thing that got them was the speed. It's the same now but more than ever because the cars are faster then ever. USRA GP12s turn times now that were GP 27s in the early 90s. Even the basic Flexi car with a sealed motor can do a 3 second lap on a King track. Most 16D GP10s ran in the 5 second range on my Tunkel King.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

My brothers an I have always been car fanatics, and when a track came to our town we became hooked. this was late 60's, i was 10 years old, and when our track closed after about 2 years, we would look for tracks close by. Through the years we have had two more tracks come and go, and i was able to purchase a small 6 lane Tunkel for my garage. Have had a blast racing on it for 15 years, but usually have to call and invite racers over. I recently became involved in the purchase of a nice track for a commercial track in a nearby city, and have been trying to spread the word for the grand opening, but covid 19 came along. The track is assembled, spray glued and ready for action. I was able to test with a nascar 4 inch jk chassis hawk motor, 3/32 axle car. What can i say? the hand eye coordination, the challenge of keeping the car on the track, improving lamp times, it's just fun.

In now days I think it’s the sound that first get the attention. Motors screaming down the track.
    Next would be the speed of the cars.
    2017 Western States " Retro Hawk F class " Champion
    2017 USRA Nats Div 1 " F class " Champion
    Thank you John and Dee Hale - circa 1968

So it was visual for me, Speed for Fast Eddie and N2dpast and experiential for Tracker828. Well experiential and also tapping into an interest in cars that already existed. So kids don't build models anymore and there's actually not a real interest in cars like there was through the 70's BUT..... based on thrill rides in parks and movies like Need for Speed... I guess speed still sells. And fashion so, looks and performance but not as much of a bridge to experience or existing interest. We don't attract by saying "Slot Car racing is just like......." but we might be able to get their ear with appearance and performance. And of course trophies. This generation like awards and pictures of themselves. lol

I still think it's cool that my model cars can actually race.