+ Reply to Thread

Thread: They were racing Eldon cars?

They were racing Eldon cars?

They were racing Eldon cars?

I heard mention of racing Eldon cars . I know we all love are Cox and my Mabuchi really rocks !--but I love the sound my Eldon makes screamin down the straights ! How does that grab ya !-
    I think PDL should be working on a new book dedicated to the
    wonderous Eldon cars of old -Hey they even teamed up with Cox in the early 70s ....Cox-Eldon cars who really made them anyway?
    I think we need a book here ....
    " Weaseling out on things is what separates us from the weasel "

I wish you hadn't

brought this up!

PdL will have a fit. Twitches and foams at the mouth on the subject.

Elden and Cox did not "team up". Cox bought the assets. PDL redesignedn the track molds.

But you should never get him started on this.

Fate

Foamin' II

Philippe isn't the only one.... Eldon was my first set back in 63 or so, and by all rights it should have put me off slot racing for good!

Ugly bodies, ugly mechanicals, ugly track, etc.

On the other hand, when they broke in a couple days, I realized i liked puttering around with little cars. Thank you Eldon!

These were the early "Ferrarish" cars with 15R Mabuchi and worm gear... A couple friends had the later Selectronic models and these were better, I must admit.

Still, Eldon was very frankly marketed as a toy; they never even had the hobby pretentions of Strombecker, except for the Concours line....

Don

They were racing Eldon cars - II ?

Yes ! I AGREE some older Eldon were toylike and lacked detail-but on the other hand now ...Those Dodge Chargers -Coronets
    and a few other Eldon American Muscle cars actually look good-
    as good or better than similar Revell-Monogram -Ect...Just look
    at the prices of these on E-Bay and I'm sure you will see that...
    Rev that Eldon 6 volt motor up down the straights and they run like a Strombecker on steroids.......Vrrroooooooom
    " Weaseling out on things is what separates us from the weasel "

Let's get ready to ruuumble!!!

As a fellow newbie, I wouln't have even brought up this heated topic do to it's controversial nature, but kudos to you!
    Even though I have to admit I have a few Eldon cars and a race set in my collection.
    PS: I'm pretty sure Strombecker was based out of Canada in the approx mid 70's eh. Was Eldon ever based out of Canada, and while we're at it eh, was Aurora as well?

Ryan

Re: They were racing Eldon cars?

Howzabout Eldon trucks. Not too many slot manufacturers did the funky looking, manure hauling, 1962 Dodge truck in 1/32 scale...Eldon did!

Bob S.

Yes Eldon had a factory on Lawrence Ave , in Toronto, North York, and I visited it looking for tires in the early 1980's. I recall the name Leisure Dynamics. Mr P may have worked there, but he may be too embarrased to say. Of course , the home factory was in Hawthorn California. Strombecker had a factory in Quebec, Canada and again I was lucky enough to get some unfinished parts from there. I picked up 1 MIB motorcycle w/ sidecar and some unfinished versions, minus the motor, and rear axle, plus some midget chassis. The Aurora factory, was just North of Toronto, in Aurora, Ontario, Canada. I wasn't into HO but guys I know, got lots of stuff out of there , when they closed.

I wasn't into HO but guys I know, got lots of stuff out of there , when they closed.
    Rob n Rick,the Anderson Bros.

Embarrassed? Moi?

Cox bought the assets.
    Hi Prof,
    No, Cox was STUCK with the assets by their new owner, Leisure Dynamics.

Mr P may have worked there, but he may be too embarrased to say.
    Not a bit! I went there only to work on their HO cars, and all "post-Eldon" work was done in Santa Ana. But the very first task I did there is to can the Eldon cars.

Strombecker had a factory in Quebec, Canada
    Correct, and it stayed in business nearly 5 years after the Dowst Company ended any production of slot cars in the US. Strombecker Canada had the old 1/32 scale body molds of the Chaparral 2, Lotus 30, Ferrari Dino and McLaren MKII modified in Hong Kong to hold the motors and axles without the need for a chassis. They did not use the US track but had some new tooling made in Hong Kong and produced gray track for a while. After, they imported Polistil marketed under the Strombecker name. Then the whole mess collapsed from lack of interest and REH bought the remaining inventories and sold it all the way to the late 1990's.

Regards,

Mr. Pea
    Last edited by TSRF; 04-18-2004 at 08:19 PM.

Talking HK STROMBECKER cars

Thanks, TS, for the info on the HungKung Stroms ... I recently acquired a Dino and a Chappie ;they were sold just as STROMs... Then when I turned them over : VOILA !!! motor and axles and guide were attached to body by the same methodology as the OLDE Scalex ...But, being as "Schmart as the Average Down-Home TEXAS Bear", I knew they weren't Scaleys ...

Now ??? Anybody out there got the lower Front Clip for the Dino ???

I'm thinking MAYBE rebuild the "UNDER" using the plastic chassis w/ green motor ... or, maybe use the half-plastic / half-metal chassis w/ bluecan motor. we shall see.

NOT MANY TRACKS IN TEXAS !!!

Yep...

They also often came in funny colors. My Chap 2 is yellow, my McKee purple, my Dino and Lotus 30 orange....

Beuark!

+ Reply to Thread