Thread: Diaplanes

Diaplanes

Has anyone ever done any testing with the length of the diaplane on a wing body to see if shape or length has anything to do with speed or handling? I believe a stiffer diaplane works better to avoid the sometimes bowing effect, and to hold up in wrecks. I was wondering if besides there being a wieght issue if anyone has tried certain lengths or angles on the diaplane to effect handling.

I saw in the how to article a few months ago that the maker of the bodies uses a 1/16in hole punch in two locations on the part of the diaplane that lays on the track itself, is there some sort of vacuum effect by doing these holes on the flat part of the diaplane?

just seeing peoples opinions. thanks
    -Brian

A longer diaplane results in more front downforce therefore a shorter one gives you less. The 1/16 holes are cosmetic only, in fact I usually tape over them. As a starting point try 1/2 inch width for opens and slightly less for the lower classes.

Cool

If you were to start with a longer diaplane then cut it shorter you should notice that the car will get more bite as you shorten the length of the diaplane.

Bodies with little of no front fenders like a longer diaplane. Bodies with big front fenders require less front diaplane length.

thanks a lot. i was looking through some old bodies i had and was looking for the relationship between the longer ones and the shorter ones, guess if your car is too loose just trim the diaplane down a little. lol.
    -Brian