Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Tracks

purple angel

I have not met a racer yet that does not like the purple angel in citrus hieghts California. Before anyone ask's. The direction of the track goes up the bank.

The Brickyard raceway in Biddeford maine had a great track that had a donut in the middle and a very slight banking at the end of the straight away, but I forget what they call it. The new Trigilio at Need For Speed is pretty sweet. Lou's track at Grand Prix raceway is awesome, especially if your a sadomasicist. It will definately give you nightmares. I suggest making an appointment with a therapist the day after you race there.

Cool favorite track

yeah that purple angel rips. fun track. reminds me of our old hillclimb at downtowns slot car warehouse in concord. talk about home track advantages. if you didnt have a lot of laps on that track you had no chance of competing with us thats for sure.
    Icehouse Racing

Slot Cars with Attitude!

Great question!

I kind of like a track that requires driving skill to run successfully.

The Cobra does fit the bill, but it is a banked track and it does lead to some very high speeds.

Back in the mid 60's I remember running on a track that I found to be the most fun. It was built by American Model Car Raceways and I believe it was called the "Monarch". The lap length, as I recall, was about 90 feet. It was pretty much a flat track without banking. There was a straighaway, but not that long. It had a "donut", then a short zip straight followed by an undulating right-left-right turn back into the straightaway.

Wait, I found a photo of the track in an old American Model Car Raceways brochure:

Yep, that had to be my favorite track for racing just about anything.
    Last edited by fl_slotter; 07-15-2009 at 04:57 PM.

any track that it is not a motor parade. even thogh I have motors now and my driving sucks .....driving should be a big part of the fun....
    [COLOR="Black"]TEAM ACES AND 8's http://f2000.us/[/url]

Awesome & Fast Track in Florida

Well, since no one has one of those 40 plus year old MCRA "Monarch" tracks around in good operating condition, I am going to have to pick my current favorite track.

It is a "Hillclimb" track of 145 foot lap length. However, since the entry into the "donut" is not hampered with a "dogleg", but is nice and straight, this track really rocks.

Another added benefit to this particular track is that it is very easy to be a turn marshal at since there is very little action in the "bridge" area.

I have raced on many other variations of this design, but this particular variant is, in my opinion, the fastest one out there. When your car is setup properly, and you drive it to the full extent of your abilities, this track ROCKS!

The "My Series" racing program in Florida paid a visit to The Raceway in Cocoa, Florida recently. The racing was some of the best we've had to date. I think the layout of this track was one of the main reasons for that enjoyment by most folks. The lap times during the race were consistently 3 to 4 tenths quicker than any other track we race on in this program. We also finished much earlier. I think that was because of less issues with turn marshaling and such. An excellent track design.

Florida Slotter, aka Marty Stanley,
    A "Double 60's" Slot Racer
    Killer X Raceways Team Racer

Thumbs up Flat Track - Chicagoland Raceway - Lagrange IL

The Flat Track at Chicagland Raceway is my favorite track.

Mike's track is fast and very challenging. It has a lot of driver and racer features that make it a great track.

Soft walls to keep the retro cars together after a wall shot. The Height of the track is perfect for marshalling.

Drivers stations are properly colored coded and have controller handle holders.

The track is always well maintained and the competition is intense.

Up to 5 Races every Saturday with cars and classes that every Chicago Area racer has.

Just fun and affordable racing, with a great group of racers.
    Last edited by Kgalasso; 07-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Check out Chicagoland Raceway on Facebook.
    www.facebook.com/chicagoland.raceway

I'd like to try all the tacks posted.
    Home track 135ft Hillclimb.
    No cross over and no blind spots.
    Just enough of a slot car driving challenge.
    The fact that it is easy to drive provides for close racing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1217aa.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	4760  

My favorite is the 160 Engleman pictured on the Tunkel Website, We ran times as fast as all the Florida King's of the day but was a little more of a chalenge to drive. (I'm a little biased, I owned it)

http://www.slotcars.org/tunkeltracks/tracks/index.html

Everytime I look at yet another hill climb I think what could have been if they just had some more space to put in a Engleman.

The 110' tri-oval with the 175' alternate road course in Daytona is probably the best use of space I've seen yet and I would have one similar built if I was ever to open another store. Just to cool.

http://www.myseries.org/theraceplace.html

The Black colored King that was at the Nats in Philly back in the mid 90's was a real nice King - not to swoopy, atleast by todays standards, but plenty fast.

Thumbs up lil' Champ's Raceway

My favorite track would be lil' Champ's Raceway. Been racing a long time & this is got to be the best. Everybody is so friendly, no arguing, no attitudes, just great racing............. & they make good hot dogs
    So if you want to have a good time & enjoy just racing come on out. The track is now open 7 days a week.

Buzzard

My three favorites in order of preference.
    1. 140 ft Tunkle scale track that used to be located at Brick Yard Raceway in Biddeford, ME (I believe it is now in storage)
    2. Lou Pirro's Ogilvee UK Black, Rotterdam, NY (esses a joyful pain)
    3. Ogilvee 95 ft Hill Climb at Need For Speed Raceway, NH. Small, fast, and very challenging to race.
    (we go up the hill in front of the drivers panel)

Name:	Brick_Yard.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	4829  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPR_Black_adjst_3.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	4830  

Name:	Queen_city.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	4831  

Last edited by J Stinnett; 09-01-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Thumbs up My Fav. Track...........

IS THE ONE I'M RACING ON----Cause that means its still open & running!

ol'frt
    PHIL I.

Durl; Sure is a long time to reply to this but this is my first visit to the poll. I agree with you that the best is the 60's vintage 230ft pink Engleman hill jump formerly located at Flashbacks. I purchased the track in 2008 and it still has the original 12" drop coming out of the high bank and the 12" jump up going to the lead-on for the top straight. The track was up and running at Daytona Slots in Dallas, Ga. until it closed in 2009. Track is now in storage. My second favorite is the American Black 95ft Royal. Great for womps and low power cars with its small size and banked turns.

Name:	engleman back str.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	7292  

Name:	engleman control&#3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	7293  

Last edited by Daytonaman; 10-08-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytonaman View Post
    Durl; Sure is a long time to reply to this but this is my first visit to the poll. I agree with you that the best is the 60's vintage 230ft pink Engleman hill jump formerly located at Flashbacks. I purchased the track in 2008 and it still has the original 12" drop coming out of the high bank and the 12" jump up going to the lead-on for the top straight. The track was up and running at Daytona Slots in Dallas, Ga. until it closed in 2009. Track is now in storage. My second favorite is the American Black 95ft Royal. Great for womps and low power cars with its small size and banked turns.
    I realize this post is 10 years old but I'm curious about what happened with that Engleman. I've not see one with jump and drop before

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123