+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: M.E.S.A.C. track

M.E.S.A.C. track

Does anyone remember, or have any information on the MESAC track from the 60's ? It was a track that could be changed to eight different configurations, sixteen if you reverse the direction.

Phillipe, if anyone has any information, it has to be you. I would like to gather as much information, and details as possible, for my next year's project, I would like to make a replica.
    Ray

MESAC

Todd Messinger of Pelican Park in Oregon was a MESAC member. You can see his posts here in the 1/24 forum, and most recently in the SCT 5 forum in the "Scale Driver's" thread - with pics and links to the Pelican Park web site.

Also, the original Model Car & Science articles, by Robert Schliecher, about MESAC, have been scanned and are available on the www.VSRNonline.com website, in the "Search Index of Magazine Articles", under "Track Plans" at the bottom:

MESAC Article & Track Plans - Model Car & Science

Best bet is to save the images to your hard drive, and then open and print them in an image editor program - since MSIE tends to shrink them to fit the window.
    Last edited by oldweirdherald; 08-14-2004 at 12:21 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Paul Kassens
    OWH Slot Car Talk "Mom"
    The Old Weird Herald
    email: paulk@oldweirdherald.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THANKS PAUL !!!!!!
    Ray

Ray you rang my bell!

Todd or I are your best bet!

We both have "been there".

I have had the same hopes (to build a MESAC track as it was) I have a property with a large enough building, but have not started plans yet. Someday!

Please have a look at Todd's pictures here
    MESAC thread

I have some very useful info about this post of yours you may like to know. Please send me an email.
    email Victor

Victor
    MESAC's last "Newbie"
    Last edited by TrueScale; 08-15-2004 at 09:23 AM.

Ring .... ring .... ring ...... : ) : ) : )

Thanks Victor for your reply. I'll be tapping both of you for information.

I just sent you an e-mail. I also joined your forum.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Also, you can count on me to help you with your plans.
    Ray

MESAC

Hello Ray,

Regret I didn't respond to your post earlier, but my home computer went Tango Uniform Friday, so I'm working off my work one- don't tell the boss!

I'm always interested in the folk who inquire after MESAC. Are you presently a scale racer?

Although in the US there may no longer exist organizations like MESAC, I did have the oportunity to relocate to Eugne, OR where there's a club, Pelican Park Speedway whose 18 members, for 16 years now, are carrying on much like MESAC by their scratch-building and racing 1/24th real scale slot cars.

(Pelican Park's pits set up for a '50's era Tourist Trophy race)
    Todd Messinger

Smile Not really...

Phillipe, if anyone has any information, it has to be you.
    Actually, Todd is much more qualified. If indeed I remember MESAC very well and was there numerous times, I really was not a member, did only participate to a couple of races and only within the 1970-1972 period. I could not add any more information except for the articles I wrote for Miniature Auto Racing about MESAC cars, mostly in 1971. I remember one on a Bob Burnhard-built 1/32 scale Porsche 917, another on one of John Luthi's cars and yet another on a Camaro built by Jerry I-can't-remember-his-last-name.
    I was saddened by the closing of the track, and later its destruction.
    Todd Messinger or other former members have wonderful memories and will serve you much better than I could.
    Regards,

Philippe

Thanks Phillpe !
    Ray

Re: MESAC

Originally posted by n9949y
    [
    I'm always interested in the folk who inquire after MESAC. Are you presently a scale racer?

[/B]
    Hi Todd,

I have not raced since the sixties. I am currently starting a raceway, South Florida Slotcar Raceway". We have two tracks, a 155' King, and a 147' Gator roadcourse. My idea is to, along with a regular race program, start on the roadcourse, some kind of "scale" racing. I am learning as I go, thanks to some very fine people helping me.

I would like to gather information on the MESAC track, so that if everything goes as planned, I can buid a replica sometime by the end of next year. For now, the "Raceway" has my priority due to time and funds. But ...... that doesn't keep me from gathering information, so when the time comes, I'll be ready.

Thanks for all your input, and help.
    Ray

My idea is to, along with a regular race program, start on the roadcourse, some kind of "scale" racing.
    We may be able to help you

We use existing model kit bodies or injected slot cars in both 1/24 and 1/32 scale over simple, easy to maintain, inexpensive adjustable chassis. They run great and are providing the most competitive racing.
    Regards,

Philippe
    Last edited by TSRF; 08-17-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks, I'll stay in touch.
    Ray

Sarting a scale operation

Ray,

MESAC was a very unique enterprise, as are historically such clubs whose members’ focus entirely on fully detailed scale modeling and racing. MESAC Members and its inheritors, members of Pelican Park Speedway in Eugene, OR tend first to be motor sports enthusiasts and hobbyists who use their model car building and racing as an adjunct to their real passion in motor sports. They like to capture in miniature the essence of motor sports history much in the same way model railroad enthusiasts capture in miniature the essence of railroad operations.

MESAC was founded by a group of mainly Aerospace h- tech types and artistic-hobbyists/modelers who had the foresight, vision, and technical know how to build a huge layout. With their scratchbuilding modeling skills they produced a whole array of model racecars, and the authentic scenery that so well replicated what one might experience attending a race, say at Sebring. We at Pelican Park are doing the same, though our racecourse is smaller reflecting a better utilization of members’ resources

To attract commercial or arcade oriented slot car enthusiasts to a more artistic paradigm is frankly daunting In my experience very few commercial racers are modelers which require a whole different mind set, vision and infinite patience to build, and race, say, a scale accurate 1958 Ferrari Testa Rosa or 2004 LE-Mans Courage C60.

Additionally there is the issue of speed- a sort of narcotic that can persuade the uninitiated to believe that where there’s no “speed,” there’s no competition. Scale racing on a scale appearing and proportioned track is often seen as uncompetative, not to mention the difficulty many have in building and racing scale cars which are often more susceptible to damage.

However there’s an easier way for a store like yours to offer a more “scale experience.” First build a small 4-6 lane track that more resembles a real race track, like Pelican Park. Don’t have to do too much scale landscaping but the more the better to set a more scale experience. Then contact and work with Philippe’s marvelous and quite practical TSRF concept and products which can give you and your fellow scale enthusiasts a fine launching point into the world of 1/24th scale racing.

Todd Messinger

Todd, thanks for the endorsement. Our aim has been of course to provide a solid, inexpensive and simple basis for exact-scale racing using plastic model car bodies as well as exact-scale vacuum formed or resin cast.
    While it has some imperfections that will soon be corrected, we feel that it is 95% there. This is a long-term project, and next will be fully assembled, ready-to-race cars for the lazy among us...
    Regards,

Doc Pea

San Francisco, Golden Gate Park Panhandle.

Mesac track.

Todd,
    That picture of the old track is the best, your PPS
    track is great too! I wish I had a time machine!
    I think you have remained true to the roots of
    the hobby and what might save it in the future.
    Thank you and the others for keeping the best part
    of the hobby alive and kicking!!! Sorry to miss you
    when I was traveling through Oregon. I came in
    2nd place up in Portland. Only .03 seconds seperated
    1st and 2nd. Check this link-www.soapboxracer.com
    My car was the X5.

Retrotech
    retrotech

Exclamation Whoaaa!

Retrotech, you got beaten by a coffin!!!??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast