+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Russkit Carrera series cars to handle...

Getting Russkit Carrera series cars to handle...

I saw a thread a while ago on how to add lead to a cuc to make it handle. I'd be interested to know if the same can be done for a Russkit sidewinder. How much lead, and where? I'll be racing on a non-glue track using AMR tyres (natural rubber, like the original cox sidewinders).

Regards,

Steve C.

Russkit

Be very clean on the set up.

THEN, glue the drop arm in a fixed position so that the car is a "tripod".

About 10gms just behind the guide.

Fate

Talking Problemo in the Gearo Departmento...

Steve,
    The true problem of the Russkit cars is that the spur gear is already almost touching the track when the tires are still new. That and the fact that the early ones have a #1 self-tapping screw elegantly sticking under the chassis means that after a fairly small number of laps on an abrasive track, the gear and that screw are providing most of your traction...

Solutions:
    1/ Use a smaller Cox "HEX" spur gear over a drilled Cox flanged nut, the whole mess cyano-ed on the outer wheel. Get another set-screw Russkit rear wheel on E-Pay for the other side. You may also use other flat threaded or smooth spur gears such as Dynamic's, Revell's... Also replace the soft aluminum axle by a steel unit.

2/ Move the motor as close to the gear as possible. You may need a larger pinion to clear the axle. Gearing can be as tall as 3-1 with the stock motor.

3/ Shave the self tapping screw to 1/2 its thickness to give yourself a bit more clearance.

4/ As Prof says, lock the drop arm solid and add some weight on each side of the "pan".

Now when they are new and before the tires wear, they handle surprisingly real nice just the way they are.
    Regards,

Doc Pea

Shhhh!

You guys are my secret weapon :-) Roach's, watch out!

Regards,

Steve

Guys..

Can someone post photos of Russkit frames, especially the Carrera? I don't believe we ever ran them! Russkit name ner hit ou parts walls either. It was Cox, Dynamic and Champion. Seems I remember some $30 Cobra (?) motors. We ran Champions.
    Doc, are you back from England? This board has been dead without you!

Thumbs up

Russkit pics coming soon! As well as a Russkit clone chassis out of England that I need Mr.P to tell me the history of! Same chassis, but anodized blue, ( I like blue!) and with additional lightening holes from the original Russkits.

Rotor
    <a href="http://speedwayslotcars.com">Speedway SlotCars and Hobbies</a> <br>

<a href="http://hometown.aol.com/rotorranch/Slotcars.html">Slot Car Pics</a>

Here is a Rusky Carrera chassis...

...what is left of it.

Back in 67 some of the guys who liked to try novelties got the Russkit Porsche Carrera and began beating straight out of the box Cucs (they were handling better).
    Then I heard on the grapevine that in Italy they were talking wonders about Cucs with 26D. I went to the only toy store in my town to order one but they did not know anything about it. Suddently there I saw a japanese kit (dont remember what it was) and there it was: a 26D in the box! I mounted it on my Cuc and for weeks I was the kid to beat. The older guys were furious!
    A little later in the season everybody was running that motor on Cucs, the Carrera guys included. Then we began rewounds and oil of canphor for the tires...(Sorry I got carried away
    Regards
    Edo

Edo

Thanx for the pic! So you were a 26d pioneer? Rewind any arms, or didn't you have trouble? I never lost an arm in 4 motors in 67-71., but can't run a blue arm 26 now without throwing a wire and smoking! I would yet like to see a Johnson in a sidewinder in place of a 36d. If I find a chassis, I will try it cause I still have 25 Johnsons. Ha ha ha ha!

Pioneer?

The way I remember I was the first one with a rewound 26D (it all began with these motors, never saw a rewounded 36D or 16D before or after) in my little town were there was only one commercial slot track. But I musst have heard from some outsider that was what they were doing in Northern Italy.
    My dad teached me how to rewound arms. I musst have done about a dozen including some for my friends.He also told me to epoxy the rewounds and to balance the arm on two razorblades and see were I was suppose to drill. I dont remember any of my motors to burn but the races were short (4 or 6 minutes on each of the 6 tracks) and I had to be home by 10.30 PM
    I wonder were they all went as I am left with the 2 normal ones I have.
    Today I would not even think of rewounding an arm, no time, no patience, shaky hands, mediocre close sight, no commercial track anywhere and my Carrera track would not stand those little devils amperage sucking.
    Regards
    Edo

+ Reply to Thread