Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Interesting slot car patents

Cool More Interesting slot car patents

Found these in a old magazine article today. Maybe it will end once and for all where slot racing was really invented/discovered?

Number date granted description

927,517 July 13, 1909 Pleasure Railway

610,008 August 30, 1898

1,606,691 Nov 9, 1926 Mobile Toy

2,510,241 June 6, 1950 Toy Vechicle and Track

2,631,853 March 17, 1953 Racing Game

2,836,129 May 27, 1958 Monorail Toy with Currrent Carrying
    Track

Smile No it won't...

Found these in a old magazine article today. Maybe it will end once and for all where slot racing was really invented/discovered?
    Hardly, because slot racing is first covered by a 1937 patent, the first not to use a RAISED RAIL as a track. Prior to this, only rail-racing cars and sets were patented and produced. However, the American patent appears to have never been used in anger and the first APPLIED patent was that of Scalex in 1957, quickly followed by MRRC and Minic.

There are of course examples of slot cars BEFORE the 1957 patent, the oldest currently known being of Basque origin! Apparently some guy was doing open markets and fairs with an elaborate system with 2 cars running in slots, with power pickup similar to the first Carrera system.
    The second one is of course the well-known Maserati car of Charles Woodland, built in 1949 and surviving to this day. You may read some of this in a new book that just came out.
    Regards,

Doc Pea

Cool

Phil,
    Did you go look at the patents I listed.....two of those have no rails, just a slot in a track.

I know... but it appears that the 1937 patent covers it all. Track, car, controllers...
    It is however interesting to see the evolution.
    Regards,

Doc Pea

Cool

I hate to disagree, but if you look closely at the 1926 patent, filed way before 1937, this is NOT a raised rail track, but a two lane track with SLOTS and TWO controllers mounted on the track.

Seems that this was way ahead of it's time and the other slot patents filed in 1937 or after.

What is the patent number for the 1937 patent???

What is really interesting that someone did not do their homework before publishing a book on "Rail Racing". If they had they would have discovered these already exsisting patents.

It would appear that ( according to patents ) rail racing was discovered in 1898 in the US, according to US patents.

Smile Here you go...

Cool

Cool.......but very similar to the 1926 patent.....maybe you can post that one for us once you go look it up.

Now I am looking at the 1966 Model Car Racing Handbook published by Model Car and Track and Model Car Science and and 1912 Lionel had a slot rail setup that the rail was down in the slot. This worked with both cars and trains in 1912. Not sure about any patents for this.

I would say that while the Brits were producing most of the Rail and slot systems in the 1950's and beyond, most were already patented, designed and prototyped in the US many years earlier.

Now to find out if Lionel "produced" their slot racing system in 1912 or shortly after.

Ron,
    Was that the old Rod & Custom Models article by Jack Tate? Just goes to show that even in 1964, people were looking at the historical origins of slot racing.

I've got a bunch of patents from a patent search in the 50s, including that one from 1926 (Irma Boyer?) which set out all the principles well before the 1938 patent (which only shows one car by the way Philippe - is another described?). I'll take a look, but it seems a few earlier ones also laid out the all the basic principles...

I know we've gone over these points before, but I'd like to point out two things:
    1) There's a big difference between filing a patent and actually building a working system. The first WORKING miniature electric car racing (and not road) system was the commercial rail racing system in England in 1929-30, described in The Motor magazine, with photos!
    2) I may be alone in this, but I don't think whether it's slot or rail makes a big difference: the operative words here are "tabletop" or miniature, electric and independent control. Whether the guidance was rail, slot, trough etc. is a minor point.
    Don

Cool

Don,
    Yes I refer to the article wrote in 1964 by Jack Tate and the Irma Boyer patent of 1926. I may be alone in this thinking, but I do not really care if a track was produced or not... to prove where or when the slot racing concept was thought up.

Now that I have discovered that in 1912 Lionel may or may not have made a slot car track that sold with a regular train/rail track maybe the defining end of argument once established if they did or did not produce the slot track. I think that the Brit's took the US thoughts/patents the steps further to mass produce slot sets.

I do not deny that the Brits were the first to mass produce slot tracks.

I do feel however that slot racing and it's general concepts were thought up and patented here in the US first.

Smile Wait a minute!!!

Actually the worl'd first was by Ives in the USA in 1908:

Shortly after, it was Marklin's turn:

However the first RACING set was the 1912 issue by Lionel, with 2 cars running on a circular track and independently controlled.
    This was immensely successful and followed in 1987 by a 75th annioversary set reproducing the 1912 set. You can still find those at auction time to time.

All of the above used model train technology with raised rails. In the 1930's, there were many sets by Marklin, Fleishmann, Tipp, LR and others, all also on raised rails. Here is such a set in 1951:

The first production SLOT car sets came with VIP and Scalextric, while MRRC was making parts for hand-built cars. VIP appears to have the actual first post-war patent, but it was issued nearly 10 years after Charles Woodland built his Maserati, and 15 years after a Basque gentleman built and ran a pair of hand-built large slot cars at fairs and open makets. At least one car survives:

Don says justifiably that patents don't count too much unless USED. The American patent shown above apparenetly was never followed by any production. Neither do the 1898 patents, and one has to wait for the Ives set of 1908 to actually see a toy automobile running on a rail and controlled by a rheostat. At least they were ahead of VIP and Scalex, which used on-off buttons to "control" the cars.
    Regards,

Philippe
    Last edited by TSRF; 09-23-2004 at 09:20 AM.

Sources

try WWW.gadgetsplace.com got a CD from them off of ebay - "Model racing and slot cars patent collection" many are for unrelated toys, but interesting to see ALL of the drawings. - in PDF.
    l.d. kelley, M.A. Ramcatlarry@aol.com

50 year pin 1959-2009
    Racing slot cars in America
    USRA 2009 member 0028, 2017 #404
    IRRA, ISRA/USA, Hardbodies 1/24 & 1/32
    retired raceway owner(for now)
    Omni/Cidex service center

Unhappy CD not so hot...

Actually Larry, I was quite disappointed in that CD. It show hardly any of the 'fun" patents of the 1960's, like the Cox IFC and many others. But it is nonetheless a must and may be I am a little too demanding.
    Regards,

Philippe

Saw Jack Tate's name mentioned here after a search of the interweb. So here is a car up for sale on Craigslist, LI NY. Philippe has already declared it complete BS. I agree. But for your entertainment, here it is...The "World Famous" Jack Tate race car.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/ta...816335565.html

Here is some more great slot car history....

http://www.slotcarhistory.com/history.html
    Last edited by Sam pan; 02-21-2019 at 04:49 AM.
    Don't resist....VOTE !

Thanks zipper. I fixed it. Cut 'n paste snafu.

So does anybody think Jack Tate built and raced this car? I'm buying something else from this guy and will inquire about his documentation.
    Don't resist....VOTE !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast