+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite vintage slotcar?

San Francisco, Golden Gate Park Panhandle.

What is your favorite vintage slotcar?

I think everyone has a favorite type of vintage slotcar.
    Your favorite may change with time, but can you say that
    you have an archetypal favorite? The one that you regard
    above all others? If so, please describe with words and
    photo's your top choice!

I hold in high regard, those early F1 cars with monocoque chassis,
    rocking arm inboard spring suspension, A and I arms with radius rods,
    spagetti pipes are especially fine!

Here's a car that's a hand full on the Carrera plastic. 1/24 Eldon Concours BRM

I expect the real thing would be two hands full!

The Eldon behaves badly, tends to deslot, slides wildly, drifts to and fro,
    and has a low speed roll over that always makes me cringe.

Retro
    retrotech

My favorite

I have always felt that the AMT Dynamic modular frame sections were the best ever in past or present. The hinge, 3 front axle mounts, as well as cutable tongue and the myrid motor mounts, allowed many to go farther in assembling and racing. At the tim, even the body mts were viable, though lacking in style today. I imagine these frames are still popular in vintage racing. I have been picking up a few lately to assemble historicals. An STP Turbine and a mid-west T/A and maybe a stocker.

Thumbs down ELDON???@@#$%???!!!

Hi Retrotech,

The Eldon "Concours" chassis has to be one of the worst lucubration produced in the 1960's. A similar body on top of the Atlas simple brass chassis and pole motor makes a heck of a better car... To its credit, the Eldon body had a bit better detail than the Atlas but was less accurate. Of course the Cox body is really the best one of the three.

NF,
    I agree with you about the Dynamic chassis. Not a SINGLE doubt that in the 1964-1967-period, hardly any production (not hand-built) car except the Pactra Ferrari F1 could stay with a properly set Dynamic chassis-ed car, ESPECIALLY a FT26-powered sidewinder. Fitted with a Russkit Lotus 40 body and Classic sponge tires, it was a nearly unbeatable combination.

As far as a "favorite", I have other sympathies, mostly towards the Russkit "Carrera" series, such as the Lotus 40, Chaparral 2D or Porsche 906 or the late (an scarce) ISO-fulcrum soldered wire chassis Pactra cars with their fantastic paint jobs.
    And I must say that I am really partial to well turned out vacuum formed bodies versus the "plasticky" look of injected bodies. The GOOD vac formed cars look soooooo good!
    Regards,

Dok Pea

More Favorites.

NF,
    Thanks for your reply, I think I might have the Dynamic chassis you
    speak of! I've managed to acquire numerous Dynamic components
    with all the splended features you described. Please post some pics
    of the items and cars you mentioned.
    I have the plastic kit of the STP Indy turbine car, this is the original
    door wedge!!! And should make a fine slotcar!

Sweet Pea,
    Thanks for your comments. Yeah, isn't the Concours chassis a fragile
    mess of polished, cast aluminum. It has a weak back, but I love 'em!

Pea, I understand there were two Concours cars issued. The 1/24 BRM,
    and a 1/32 Ferrari?, same chassis, adjusted to 1/32. Maybe there were
    others?
    What would you say is the pinnacle of Eldon 1/24 production cars? I know
    you have some personal feelings about Eldon, I've always appreciated your
    critical analysis, setting personal feelings aside. I believe Eldon produced
    for a short period, a lexan bodied, stamped aluminum chassis, 1/24 car
    that was designed to compete in a commercial setting?

I think the Cox F1's are the best too, the chassis is a work of art!

These are all runners, of course, I hold back a bit with the Ferraris'!

The BRM's with the yellow windshields are some racers I picked up on ebay.
    These are the ones that are raced hard!

Here are some old Carrera 124 F2, undergoing restoration, got my intake
    stacks a little tall, I'll spin trumpet flares and shorten them up a bit.

These cars are a challenge to race, a little magnet for downforce makes them
    a kick. When they pop out of the slot, they do a pancake spin and seldom
    flip.

More Vintage fun.

Here the Revell Lotus Ford is chased down by the Russkit Sharknose Ferrari!
    In actual racing, the Russkit can't hang with the Revell. I need some new tires for the Russkit - and a windshield - ! Anybody got a windshield?

Pedantic Pea, these upper echelon muckymucks at the helm of Eldon
    in 1962-64, how did they come up with/why did they go with, the cast alum.
    chassis Concours? Was this an answer to the Cox product?

Retro - "Boldly going backwards"!

Retro - Comments on the duck pond should be good natured please!
    Last edited by retrotech; 11-07-2004 at 12:38 PM.
    retrotech

Thumbs up An open-wheel car lover indeed...

The Cox 1964 Ferrari F1 is indeed, a thing of beauty. John Surtees brought one to glory by becoming the only man ever to have won world titles on a racing bike and racing car. The early factory assembled RTR had chrome-plated front end and wheels!

I have the plastic kit of the STP Indy turbine car, this is the original
    What you have is the MPC static kit of the 1968 Lotus type 56. The "original" was the 1967 STP-Paxton offset car that Parnelli drove and nearly won the thing. MPC also made a kit but in 1/18th scale. There are 1/24 scale Lancer and Du-Bro bodies of this car.
    I understand there were two Concours cars issued. The 1/24 BRM,
    Correct, and these were the only ones.
    The 1/24 vac-formed Eldon cars follow the lines of their other offerings: crummy toys at best. They made 6 different body styles and the cars were sold in a large set with a very good track belying the design of other Eldon products, or under blister pack. There were a Ford GT, Porsche 906, Chaparral 2D "Daytona", Ferrari Dino, Lamborghini Miura and a De Toamso Pantera.
    The "Concours" cars are their best by aesthetics standards, but the miserable excuses for 1/32 slot cars that they sold in the cheap sets in the mid-1960's made them money. They are crude, but very child-resistant and it explains why so many have survived. So indeed they had ONE quality!
    They don't run that bad, actually better than the earlier Strombecker cars with the plastic chassis, they just LOOK awful, and I have this thing about beauty, and do not believe that it is in the eye of the beholder. It REALLY exists, and in life there are beautiful things as well as ugly ones.

Revell did indeed produce a BRM and a Lotus-Ford (much copied by the Japanese at the time) but I believe that the same engineer who designed them must have also worked for El Don.

They only look good when someone like Rick Thigpen put them together:

This is more MY speed...

The STP Turbine....

Far from a thing of beauty it never the less had a look and sound that struck fear into the hearts of the competition. And only to fail short laps from victory, for I believe a very cheap bearing. Just the color set my heart to racing. I have a /24 body all painted right now, waiting to drop onto a Dynamic frame with a built 16 (Super 16 in an old can) and Riggen slots all around. Cox gear and guide.
    The can? A coffee brown that I never saw anywhere else. I thought it was a odd gold at first- maybe a repaint, but definately light brown.
    If the can bearing fails, I will get an oval hole can from Pea.
    Which reminds me, can you guys imagine seeing an inventory list of everything available from the Electric Dreams warehouse. Would be an awful task, but a high speed run down memory lane. He has stuff I need, that I don't even know exists!

Smile Brown can...

The can? A coffee brown that I never saw anywhere else.
    Marx.

hey Philippe, glad to see you've finally come around and seen the light: motor by Marx, chassis by Lenin, silicones by Groucho....

This is a good question Retro, surprised there isn't more response.... I wouldn't have been able to respond offhand, because I like so much stuff, but looking at my showcases, I see more than half of it is full of F1 and Indy cars.... definitely a soft spot for those!

The other general thing that really excites me is finding a slot car by a manufacturer I never heard of... from the Premier Cyclone Avenger to the Prefo cars from East Germany. I thought I knew slot cars pretty well, but since meeting fellow collectors and then the Net, of course, I've been amazed by the variety of stuff that was produced - and that we had no inkling of in the backwaters of Chicago....
    Don

MY BABIES!

They only look good when someone like Rick Thigpen put them together
    Thanks Philippe. Glad you kept them.

Nice work dc-65x!

dc,
    Do you have any vintage runners in your collection? If so,
    bring 'em down! Vintage Revell vs. Vintage Revell!

Or, vintage showdown on the Motherlode!

Post a picture of your favorite one!, or three!

Retro
    retrotech

Early RTR F1

Pea,
    Thanks for the info. Great stuff!
    I miswrote on the Indy Turbine car.
    I have the AMT ERTL 2003 kit, not a
    single mention of STP, wedge shape
    just the same, not as cool as the offset
    of 1967. The AMT being a reissue of the
    MPC? Without the STP licensing?

The Concours was the best effort by
    Eldon? As a 1964 issue, was this a
    contemporary of the Cox cast alum
    chassis F1? How long after 1964 did
    Eldon attempt to deliver 1/24 cars to
    the marketplace?

Just got this Strombecker! I painted the driver, car needs some adjustment.
    I thought this Strombecker would be fun to have. What a mess as far as the
    Guideflag and brushes, and plastic chassis! You were right on about this
    Stromey, its still a fun car to have, with its Easter Island Tiki God driver's head!

Thanks for the pictures!

Retro
    retrotech

The AMT being a reissue of the MPC?
    I have not seen the Ertl thing but if it is the wedge, it can only be a Lotus 56 and only MPC made one then.
    The 1963 Lotus 29 Indy car by Strombecker is a bit crude, but a bit of paint and detailing makes the thing look OK. Jimmy Clark drove the green # 92 car and finished a close 2nd to Parnelli Jones.
    The # 93 (white car) was of course, Dan Gurney's entry at the same 1963 Indy 500 where he finished 6th, in a very uncomfortable position since after he lost control of his long-wheelbase car shortly before qualifying and it was too damaged for immediate repair, they took the third car (the "mule") and fitted Dan into it. And he could not fit too well in the shorter car. Today this car has been painted to look like Jimmy Clark's car and is on display at the IMS museum.
    Regards,

Dok Pea

The AMT Ertl Indy Lotus wedge is a reissue of the MPC Lotus Turbine kit which was previously reissued about 10 years ago along with the Dan Gurney Olsonite Eagle kit.

I also managed to pick up the Strombecker Lotus Ford earlier this year and was surprised with the overall scale and shape (why can't more "scale" slot cars be like this) until I found out from Doc P that the body master was done by the legendary Bob Clidinst.

My favorite slot cars are scratchbuilts, in particular the early midwest style such as Ben Millspaugh's 1/32 Maserati Tipo 151 (Car Model July 1964) coupe. Late 1968, early 1969 pro anglewinders such as the Jerry Brady Team Dyna-Rewind Porsche 908 coupe painted and lettered by Dave Bloom (MCS Jan 1969) are at the top of my list.

Production slot cars? Besides the La Cuc, I like the thingie coupes such as the "Riggen Special" JAD coupe, Testors' Marauder and BZ's Banshee.

Cheers,

Bob S.

Dave McDonald, the King Cobra and Riverside's turn 6...all gone

Do you have any vintage runners in your collection? If so,bring 'em down!
    Retrotech, what raceway are you talking about

Nice Lotus by the way. Bob Braverman did one up in an old Rod and Custom magazine. I always liked that car even if it is a little "off". It still looks good. Skinny car, skinny tires, ah...when cars were cars (and men slide them sideways at speed) not inverted airplane wings.

Rick:

The original plan for my Strombecker Lotus was to build it up according to the Braverman article. I've put it on hold because I'd like to make a copy of the body and eventually do up a more accurate representation of the original car.

Bob S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast