Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding A NW Track Icon Hillclimb

A Salute to Orginized Slot Car Racing Programs

I salute the rebirth of the Hill Climb restoration that is pictured here. Great work guys and a credit to the Hobby. I have to salute anyone who is going to be holding Orginized Slot Car Racing Programs. It will only be good for all of us trying to promote the Hobby of Slot Car Racing to have this site in the mix.

Now for a little piece from my alleged mind?

I don't feel anyone should be bad mouthing any form of Slot Car Racing over another. It's bad for business for everyone. Turn Marshal races are the old historic way slot car racing has been since the mid 1950's and early 1960's. Crash & Burn has been around, at least in this part of the country, for a good period of time. They are just different. I run turned marshal racing in my shop for the most part. I've run in several other places where they run Crash & Burn and had a really good time with stock or nearly stock cars, mostly 1/32 scale. I've hosted the PSSRA (Puget Sound Slotcar Racing Assoc.) group and their counter part from North Puget Sound who run alot of crash and burn and cars that have little or no magnet in them. I've had a huge good time running with these folks. I think it's bad for the Hobby to be going around and BAD MOUTHING either method (Crash & Burn or Turn Marshal Events). I have my preference which is Turned Marshal Racing which I think is more fun and develops good drivers faster and quicker than Crash & Burn, but that's just my personal preference because I started running slot cars in the mid 1950's.. This is all suppose be done for FUN. One observation I wish to submit. "Look and watch drivers running in Crash & Burn Events when they come off and their reaction at that time. Then go and do the same thing during a Turn Marshal Event and the reaction of the drivers during that event." Tell me who seems to be having the most fun.

So every one should "Cool Their Jets" and go racing anywhere some good shop owner is putting on an Orginized Racing Program in any form and have Fun! If you try it and don't like it just don't go back. Don't go around bad mouthing the situation. That goes double for Shop Owner and how they run their events. Run your events for the good of Hobby, but don't sit back and bad mouth anyone's other event because it isn't like yours. Bottomline IT'S BAD FOR BUSINESS!!! We should all be trying to cooperate with each other and promote Slot Car Racing in general and other track owners events as well as our own, no matter what the format or the rules. As long as you can get a written set of rules before an event so you know what to expect before you go can prepare your car to compete within those rules JUST GO AND HAVE FUN!!!

Racing programs need to have published rules that don't change. One of the worst things is rules that are inforced that are not published, written and documented. Changing rules in mid-stream is also bad for business.

I believe that shop owner should not be competing against their customers. They can race with their customer but should never share in the prizes, points, or anything else other than for the joy of racing that given day.

Again, my hats off to the guys that are bring this piece of Northwest Slot Car Racing History back for all of us to enjoy. Best wishes and good luck.

Carnegie once said "Don't critisize, Condemn or Complain" and you will win friends and influence many people.

Gerry Brott
    Red Devil Raceway

?????????

Any Idea of when we can take the 1st laps ???

Goofy's Garage or AKA FunTime Slotcars

Powered the track up today. Took a few slimey stop and go wall to wall test laps to verify voltage and connections. Everything looks good to go.

Today I finished the jumpers from the dead strip and stapled everything to the track and neatened up the wiring in some areas.

Lagging behind as eveyones battling a flu bug.

We will probaly be putting a few laps on the track this Saturday (with the cruddiest cars I can find) but the power will be on and off while I make connections and test the SRT.

They also still have to clean out the grooves vacuum and burnish down the braid with a roller.

I will try to hook up the SRT wiring Saturday. Then damp wipe the track as some sawdust got on the track from the shed that was built outside. Thus the slimey laps.

Mike and Diana need to attach the viynl in the corners and then put on the edging that was originally on the track. Then finish the painting on all the inside walls.

I am working on a dual power voltage switching setup. One for 12 volts and one for 16 volts. Something Craig suggested. It was kind of incorperated in the wiring from WSSH but with the two banks of supplies, I got to trace the relay box wiring and relays and incorperate satallite switch lockouts. I still have to locate a three way switch for that. That will be next weekend also as the sales area isn't set up or cleared out yet to acommodate it. Also dont have a lane rental timer setup yet (will use SRT temporary) I am keeping the original as I was an Original American Raceways timer.

Then everything will be buttoned up.

I will redo the Drivers Panel next weekend. I have to angle it away a few inches on the left side black lane if possible. Craig you may have some Ideas or suggestions on that.

Mike said the web site is up with the initail home page.
    I won''t go into the details but apparently there is some difficulty aquireng a race ready 1/24 cars kits as plannned. They will be going Hardbody Stockcars and the TSRF 1/24 sports car route ( RULES or RULES TSR D3). I ran one years ago and I think that might be a good alternative economical fun starter class to run. The new updates and planned RTR kits will be availible (depending on the body roughly $68-88). When things get settled something else may arise.

FunTime Slotcars Web site

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 04-28-2008 at 06:12 PM.

OOPs Forgot the camera again. Will get a few shots off next time around.

Diane an Mike got most of the slots cleaned out and 3/4 track braid burnished. I wiped down the track with water to remove the dust. I didn't bring any decent cars but ran for an hour or so, and a few of the neighbour kids and Mikes & Dianes Grandkids had a blast running around the track.

Bit slimy still as we keep knocking out goobers and sawdust balls here and there. Actually had a old WSSH rental belt driven car going around quite well till the belt diisintergrated. My gp 10 car was low on tires and was OK as it was able to get through the tough spots. I think the rental car ran better because of the harder SBR rubber tires. That seems to work best on a No Glue dry track. I think I try some Skinner rubber as that might be the way to go.That and cleaning the tires off with water occationially as stray dust still cropped up. Mikes running a No Glue track. I think if I take advantage of the magnatraction braid and added magnets to the cars they will run much better.

Today the SRT was set up, even did a test race and appears to be functioning. I beat myself and the eight other me's in a race against myself.

Powered up the old original Pioneer Magnetics Server switching power supplies set at 12.2volts. Also later tried out the cars on 16 volts. Right now that too much voltage. The power seemed strong in all areas. Tom Hansen did a wonderful job on the wiring harness years ago. Did tighten down all the connections on the ground and power plates where connected to the supplies as some were loose and floppy (and faintly arced on one). They look like it was that way for a wile. Think that cured the one section I heard rumors about that had power questions before.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 04-27-2008 at 01:51 AM.

cutting corner ?

I see the "hip killer" sharp corner you mentioned ! I would recommend cut off bout an 1" in at 45 deg.then fit a filler ,sand & paint as that could hurt in acrash & dash situation

Asymmetrical

Actually Craig what I was talking about was angling the whole panel for better site line of the Donut. Black further away red closer to track. Your idea is a good one though. It gave me another idea. Asymmetrical panel kind of 80's kinda now. Any how will think over bean bag ideas as Mike and I have been discussing thoughts. Will keep the panel as is until decided.

Raymond

Never sleep under the track or wake the spiders underneath....

Just a few here and there things. Hooked up the swithcing box for using various voltage levels. The box was already constructed previously but had to trace the wiring inside to figure out the switches. Turned out to be simpler than I thought. Forgot the picture but can get that next week. Besides i still have to wire in the rental timers. Meanwhile all the wiring been stapled to track and the lap counting wiring underneath is orgainised a bit.
    The SRT was sorted out a seperate supply for the relays was hooked up.

When I came crawling out from under the track to my surprise I found a person a sleep in the second turn, snoring away.

He quickly realised that it not good to sleep at a slot track as sticker syndrom is contagous...
    so too the drivers panel he went....
    opens up a bright silver case and lo and behold became "Slot car man"...

Knocking off track a median time with a 1/24th BRM then knocking off back to back track lap records.

He proclaimed he was the leader of the free slotcar world and then admitted he was Craig Reiland's twin super hero alter ego...

Amazingly he later transformed into the real Craig Reiland and again knocked off another track record.

After that it was history and no more napping in the chunnel entrance...

Welcome Craig....

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 05-04-2008 at 12:34 AM.

FANTASTIC guys! That's a good looking Hillclimb, Hasse could definitely build a good track. My daughter is now living on Vashon Island since she graduated from Evergreen in December. Mike's place is even closer to the Bay Area now, it will be a HUGE gasoline savings.....hope to see you soon. How about some 4.5" NASCAR???

Raymond, Diane, and Mike,

Great job on the track! I'm looking forward to becoming a regular racer once our move to Seattle is complete.

Be Good,

kkjva
    K.L. VanAtta
    Airo
    Absolutely Insane Racing Organization

Short weekend this time.

The neighbor kids and Mike's grandkids took turns running on track.
    That shortened up availible time to work on the track, but that OK...

We had a couple Crash and Turn races.
    We only had one car and when they crashed the person on the next lane got thier turn to run the car.

Even the big kid got in to the race half way thru.

This is the power supply switch relay system.
    With it the power can be switched between two power supplies set at various voltages.
    The rental lower voltage suppliy is being worked on right now.

The original Pioneer magnetic supplies for the track are still intact.
    After twenty years of service and a breif two year stint at the Speedshop.
    These supplies have been quite a workhorse.

Ok I neaten them up later and get a better roll around platform box for it next weekend.

Installed some 12v spot lights for under the chunnel but still have to wire things up.

During the next week or two Mike and Diane projects will finish painting the walls, track and platforms and adding the viynl cove base to the walls and the trim molding. Then I will bolt it all down.

My work on the track is almost compleat...the rest of the work is in Mike and Dianes hands. Counter and cleanup and more painting....

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 05-11-2008 at 02:57 AM.

A few updates....

Mike and Diana have glued the vinyl cove base on to the walls.
    Mike wanted a light color like most racing walls being white so matching color cove base was applied.
    I would have gone with the black but after seeing it whith white it make the track outline visible.
    Minor painting touch up. Infield has to be repaired but it will be repainted soon.

Mike an I decided to put together a couple TSR race cars to test them out.
    The day prior I did a quick model body assembly (OK I slapped it together) of a Revell Porche 962 C hard body and Mike a Tamyia Mercedes.

I am not a model builder so don't laugh at the final results. It's only a test car anyways. After 42 years on not building a model its OK.
    Sprayed it Kosier Blue left over from euro days. I will get Rick Hanlen to build me a nicer one later, or one of the clear bodies possibly next week.

Wanted to test first with a hard body to get a feel for the track.

I built one $49 plastic track with silcons TSR for Mike and a Club Track foam tire one for myself. I am a set screw kind of guy.
    The car for Mike was built and ready to run in less than an 3/4 hour. Mine about 20 min.
    There are some modifications we will do as per recommended by TSR. Such as Mike wanted his with a Slot-it guide shoe.
    I placed lead an two bullit proof bolts in the rear.

OK it an't pretty what do you expect for not building a model in 42 years......... but testing we will go.

After some play.....on to work. The lights under the chunnel are done.
    We used halogen spots which fit much better that long bulky florecents.
    Worked out very well and lights nicely. Hope the difference shows up on the pictures here.

Heres a BEFORE and AFTER veiws.

The TSR cars ran well. This is going to a nice economical racing car.
    For $64-74 and a few recommended alterations and fiddles you have a decent car.
    We tried with various tires and with one rear magnet, then two rear magnets, and then no magnets.
    Then sponge tires and Proffesor Motor silicons.
    The Club car with foam tires was near right with two magnets but one was finally chosen and lead added.
    This is to keep tha car from lugging down on the straights.
    Mike's Silicon tired car ran well out of the box and with one magnet.
    Mike later added a Slot-it guide shoe and the car came alive and handled better.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 06-08-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Well after a weekend of playing with toy cars we got some decent times down. I made a few chassis modifications as TSR recommended with the guide pin and adding two upstop retaining screw on the rear. Played with different tire an magnet combos. Even different gear ratios. Finally after some body tweeks, silicon tire test, and magnet playing we got close to what Craig and others were running with similar 1/24th cars.

With one magnet and silicons my car came in at 162 Grams and on the magnet scale it showed 525. That was good enough to match the track times of 8.12 to 8.35.

Since the TRS chassis allow two magnets we also tested wth that set up. The same car weight of 165 and the magnet strength went up to 662.

The car was a blast with two magnets on the car. I was getting 7.08-7.29 laptimes. I was just boarder linining the under seven second mark. We will get that next weekend.

This Saturday weekend I will assemble a new car start to finish and post some of the modification steps. Plus perhaps mount the awsome scale pre-made famous manufacturer body that was found if it arrives in time. You will love em. I don't want to give away the surprise yet.

Also going to give Mike a spray paint lesson so I will feature that also.

Any of the racing crowd that wants to comeby after the Saturday racing are welcome to play.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 06-16-2008 at 11:28 PM.

And what sort of times are you getting racing "real" slot cars?
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Working on that.

Need wide silicon tires for a no glue track and no one makes them even Speedshop.

But tell us Ron Cardo...

.....Wait until you see my Teflon based wide silicon tire making mold for eurosport tires. Non stick Teflon for non stick silicon.

Looks like a sheet of SBR with the donuts punched out and steel 3/32 things..... well I will tell you no more.

Even Lee Gilbert will be impressed. Too bad I can't pawn the work off on him so he can make millions of silicon dollars.
    May even have thier use in modern day Eurosport racing as opposed to fish rubber.

Raymond
    Last edited by Slapshot; 06-17-2008 at 06:07 AM.

Oops! Maybe you misunderstood my question

I meant "real" slot cars as in Flexi chassis and S16D motors and maybe even G12 Eurosport cars too
    Last edited by Zippity; 06-17-2008 at 03:27 AM.
    Zippity

"Rules are written by FEAR; and that Racers are motivated by the Fear that somebody may have something that gives others an Edge." - Rocky Russo

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast