Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: PS4002FK experiences

We're hearing nothing but rave reviews on this motor. The motors are reportedly faster than blueprinted American 16d's, reliable, consistent, and virtually tamper-proof. You can change brushes, but will only see longer brush life - essentially no performance gain.

Many new racers shy away from big races because they don’t want to invest in the tools and techniques needed to build fully blue-printed motors.

You can gear them up, but won't see the performance gain you would from the Hawk7. I've seen Hawk7 classes die because a racer will buy 5 motors at a time, then gear the fastest one so high, the life-expectancy is reduced to 1-2 races, and the tech director doesn't want to count teeth to regulate the gear ratio.

The ProSlot 4002FK negates that and surely looks like the motor of the future for many

Don't be fooled. They are not tamper proof. You can open them just like any PD motor...

Is the PD glued and crimped?

"Glued and crimped" doesn't mean you can't open them. The PDs were crimped when they first came out. Now they have to screwed down then sealed to be legal...

Nothing is going to be 100% cheater proof but this motor seems to be the best thing out there now in this category.

If somebody has to cheat in a toy car race using these motors, then let them go ahead and prove what they must to themselves.
    Nobody is racing for money or fame at this level so go for it as far as I`m concerned.

Handout motors at the Scale Nats will take care of those issues there anyway.

These motors have begun to take our hobby out of the dark days of Deathstar racing though, so that`s a huge step forward.
    Last edited by La Cucaracha; 11-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.

The PS-FK motors have GLUED end bells, have screws (no crimping), and are sealed...

You will have to work much harder to get into one of these opposed to a typical FK motor... LOL

"Work much harder". Do you really know who your talking to? NOTHING is fool proof and that's proven by racers getting into the throw away FK motors. I recall a photo on another blog where a certain racer exposed how easy it was to get the intact seal off of PD motors. Keep in mind that these are racers and these are racecars, albeit toy racecars but none the less racecars. Winning is the name of the game, some racers see it as winning at all costs.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    I recall a photo on another blog where a certain racer exposed how easy it was to get the intact seal off of PD motors.
    It was easy at one time to remove the older "foil" seals on the PD motors. Foil seals were very easy to take off intact.

The current seal does not come off intact. The material used is too fragile to remove the sea intact once it's been applied.

In regards to the P-S FK motor....... the endbell is screwed to the can with four screws, then endbell glued to can and then seal put over the top of the screws, can/endbell.

One can not take one of these motors apart with out destroying the seal.

Very simple..... if you can see where the seal has been fractured around the screw head or the seal punctured where a screw driver was inserted into the screws...... do not let the motor race.
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

Back in the days of retro racing when P-S was using the current seals and NO screws, some racers were getting the motors apart. That issue was addressed when P-S put in 4 motor screws and the seal on top of and around the can endbell. The practice of guys taking their sealed motors apart ended once and for all.

The same has been done with the PS-FK motors.
    "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow"

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddie View Post
    "Work much harder". Do you really know who your talking to? NOTHING is fool proof and that's proven by racers getting into the throw away FK motors. I recall a photo on another blog where a certain racer exposed how easy it was to get the intact seal off of PD motors. Keep in mind that these are racers and these are racecars, albeit toy racecars but none the less racecars. Winning is the name of the game, some racers see it as winning at all costs.
    Yes I do... LOL My POINT was that it is much easier to get into the typical Falcon, Retro Hawk style FK motors. Bend back the tabs (Excuse me while I LOL at claims by the snake oil salesman that that one can tell if the tabs are opened) and presto you are inside and can dewind to any 'nominal' amount you want. John Miller has proven it is not rocket science.

With the PS-FK motor there is a glued end bell to remove (with possible damage requiring a replacement)... then remove four screws, which damages the seal... That will require the printing of a new seal etc...

So, yes, Fred IMO the the PS-FK is harder to get into to modify... At least compared to the normal FK motor.

Reportedly, seals, screws, glue and crimping aren't only part of the tamper resistance. Some say the comms and wire don't take kindly to customary attempts improve performance without breakage. So tamper all you want.

Update. Over the last month, 3000 x 36m laps....still going strong. Thats 108km, in 4.09hrs, averaging 26kp/h. Nearly 2.5 million wheel rotations and over 7million arm rotations. Now on third set of tyres, original braids and haven't touched anything else apart from a chassis straighten after a 'moment' with a false de-slot.
    listen, study, spy, try, research, invent

Larry
    My point was that nothing is tamper proof. With the 4002FK motor taking it apart without damaging the seal at all is probably not doable but just taking it apart is really no problem. Just remove the seal, the screws, and either use a release agent or a little heat to soften the glue and the end bell will come off. If your truly intent on cheating a seal safely removed from another motor could be used for a 4002FK motor that a racer blueprinted. Just saying nothing is impossible. Anyways, most if not all of these mini motors need to be taken apart just to be made race worthy. About a month or so ago I disassembled 2 JK Hawk 6 and 2 Hawk motors and the end bell bushings fell out, not glued at all. The same applies to the PS end bells, they may be a tad bit tighter fit but they can be easily popped out because there is no epoxy retaining them and the bushing bore is very smooth. Once the bushing begins spinning in the end bell the arm can burn up due to excess friction and vibration. So guys glue the end bell bushings and don't forget your sun screen.
    I've done so much with so little for so long it seems like I can do anything with nothing at all.

Fred:

Of course ANY motor can be tampered with...

MY point was and is that a Falcon/Hawk is EASIER to get into and modify...

Nothing more... nothing less.

PS... Your description of taking a PS-FK motor apart sure sounds much more labor intensive and expensive, since you would need a source for another seal.

What a great inexpensive motor.
    KellyRacing